Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He doesn't get INT's and that's how Cowboyszone judges their corner so he will receive no sympathy here.

I think CJ Henderson will probably be our 1st round pick to replace him. Depending what happens in FA I can't see him or Terrell not being the pick.

erod

Reaction score
He doesn't get INT's and that's how Cowboyszone judges their corner so he will receive no sympathy here.

I think CJ Henderson will probably be our 1st round pick to replace him. Depending what happens in FA I can't see him or Terrell not being the pick.

Back in the day, some guys would have 10+ interceptions.

Last year's leader only had 6, and those were on teams with dominant pass rushes.

Bullet22

Reaction score

He doesn't gamble...I would think that would change with a new dc......

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't think the secondary is trash without him, I blame the last coaching staff for not utilizing cover corners.

The Natural

Reaction score
I see the Carton Banks task force are still out here trying to make excuses for his two career interceptions, one off a batted pass and the other on a hail mary.

Adreme

Reaction score
There is more to being a great CB than not allowing many yards.

That's just one way to measure or judge CB's.

Its the best metric. If you have corners that one cannot complete passes against, then your defense is not giving up yards, and if they are not giving up yards they are managing to both not give up points and give the offense better field position to get more points. Better to lock down a side, allowing the entire defense to focus elsewhere, then to have a feast or famine cb that the safeties have to be constantly protecting.

snapper

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

Next man up.

Dallas will draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round of this April's draft.

I still don't see the market for Jones to be all that high, he may still return.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brandon Carr had lots of interceptions before and after he played here. Not many here.

Nobody has here.

This is hardly just a Byron thing.

Another thing nobody wants to acknowledge.

The ownership has caused our fan base to over value the positions that made us great in the 90's but positions like WR and RB are not positions you need to spend major dollars on anymore.

I think soon we will see WR's become a dime a dozen position like RB.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

Agreed. I think you can still get a productive safety in round 2-3. Chin or dugger or Winfield maybe.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I see the Carton Banks task force are still out here trying to make excuses for his two career interceptions, one off a batted pass and the other on a hail mary.

No excuses.. You guys just overvalue INT's..

If he had 2 or 3 INT's a year I don't think it makes a big difference.

If Chidobe had a few INT's a year guess what? Byron is still way better then him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Cowboys feel the need to continue bolstering the offense to help the QB. It's going to catch up with them a short distance down the road. Jones is a really good player, not sure if he is $15M/year good, but he will leave a chasm in the back end to be filled.

The Natural

Reaction score
No excuses.. You guys just overvalue INT's..

If he had 2 or 3 INT's a year I don't think it makes a big difference.

If Chidobe had a few INT's a year guess what? Byron is still way better then him.
feltyawn.gif

If if was a fifth

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is undervalued here because he's not considered a playmaking DB, like all of the others the Cowboys have had not named Sanders.

I guess if he gave up more plays and yards and picked 2-3 a year, he'd be a keeper?

One thing some do not consider, the other DB's in the secondary and systems help create turnovers. Does he have ball skills? Not that I've seen but he does his job very well.

This team had two major problems, the D and ST. I would keep Jones over Cooper if that were the choice.