Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

Jenky

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

He doesn't get INT's and that's how Cowboyszone judges their corner so he will receive no sympathy here.

I think CJ Henderson will probably be our 1st round pick to replace him. Depending what happens in FA I can't see him or Terrell not being the pick.

Guys, hes going to break the bank. Getting INTs isn't the only deciding factor. There is a perceived value for what Jones brings to the table. I can live with 0-3 INTs a year if he's getting paid CB #6-10 money. Not #1. He's not worth that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, the Cowboys feel the need to continue bolstering the offense to help the QB. It's going to catch up with them a short distance down the road. Jones is a really good player, not sure if he is $15M/year good, but he will leave a chasm in the back end to be filled.
They can make the playoffs with the offense but they can't advance without the D.

Jones might not be the stud that everyone wants but he's one of the top 2 D players and the most consistent player on the team.

But like they've said, they can't keep everybody. However, they're magnifying the mistake of those Lawrence and Elliott deals by not keeping a consistent and solid player.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, hes going to break the bank. Getting INTs isn't the only deciding factor. There is a perceived value for what Jones brings to the table. I can live with 0-3 INTs a year if he's getting paid CB %6-10 money. Not #1. He's not worth that.
I agree but because the DE and RB aren't worth what they're getting paid. 15M for a solid CB is better than any RB.

Why in the hell does any team pay 4 OL in the top 6 at their position to pay the RB the tops? Stupid, really stupid.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
So obvious that is was known back in January. Most Cowboys fans know more than some columnist on Twitter. Old news by new columnist. :rolleyes:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is undervalued here because he's not considered a playmaking DB, like all of the others the Cowboys have had not named Sanders.

I guess if he gave up more plays and yards and picked 2-3 a year, he'd be a keeper?

One thing some do not consider, the other DB's in the secondary and systems help create turnovers. Does he have ball skills? Not that I've seen but he does his job very well.

This team had two major problems, the D and ST. I would keep Jones over Cooper if that were the choice.

The funny thing about shut down corners is that people tend to avoid them. Sanders had 6 INTs his first 3 years combined in Dallas. His last year in Dallas, he only had 6 passes defended the whole year. Nobody threw at him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn't get INT's and that's how Cowboyszone judges their corner so he will receive no sympathy here.

I think CJ Henderson will probably be our 1st round pick to replace him. Depending what happens in FA I can't see him or Terrell not being the pick.

Trevon Diggs for me please, thanks!
:thumbup:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm a huge byron jones supporter, but understand that this is a salary cap league.

I'd love to have him back but the optimist in me says this defense can still improve even in losing their top CB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Trevon Diggs for me please, thanks!
:thumbup:

I hate that he didn't run a 40.

You just can't risk a 1st rounder on a corner who won't run his 40 because that position is highly dependent on speed at the next level.

Proof

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

Sherman had 3 picks also. Would you pay him 15 mil +?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate that he didn't run a 40.

You just can't risk a 1st rounder on a corner who won't run his 40 because that position is highly dependent on speed at the next level.

Can't say that I like that. Hopefully, he will posts good numbers at the school's workout. If not, like you, I'd drop him in my rankings and consideration thinking he has something to hide.

DRella

Reaction score
I would put Jones as the last priority to re-sign.

CB's of his caliber are easily replaced as long as you have a defense that can stop the run and pressure to QB. Quinn to me is a higher priority then Jones. A stud DT to stop the run and pressure the QB is a higher priority. If Gregory is reinstated, Quinn resigned, and a DT is signed. Any CB replacing Jones will be just as good if not more productive.

Spending on Jones to me is a waste.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Byron Jones is widely viewed as the top available corner in free agency, and is predicted to be one of the highest paid corners in the league shortly.

The Cowboys will not be able to afford to retain his services given their plans to squander their salary cap space elsewhere.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Another thing nobody wants to acknowledge.

The ownership has caused our fan base to over value the positions that made us great in the 90's but positions like WR and RB are not positions you need to spend major dollars on anymore.

I think soon we will see WR's become a dime a dozen position like RB.

The bigger issue is the amount of resources invested in the offensive line, which hasn't been that great. Tons of picks and dollars thrown into that thing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The bigger issue is the amount of resources invested in the offensive line, which hasn't been that great. Tons of picks and dollars thrown into that thing.

I think the Oline has been good.

Part of the problem is telegraphing our plays and a QB that wants to hold on to the ball because he isn't comfortable throwing into tight windows.

Oline is the least of our problems.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If you want Jones, then you get to see Cooper walk. Probably Quinn as well.

It's a numbers game and that's simply how it is. Pick your hole to fill - WR, CB or DE. You're filling two of those holes with picks somewhere along the way.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Oline has been good.

Part of the problem is telegraphing our plays and a QB that wants to hold on to the ball because he isn't comfortable throwing into tight windows.

Oline is the least of our problems.
Considering the pick levels and pay for 4 of those OL, good isn't good enough. When KC and SEA had the best OL and highest paid, they were great OL's. DEN could run any number of backs behind their OL.

There are too many defenders in the backfield for the level of pay for this OL. Martin's worth it, Yosemite isn't all the way back and Collins was the most improved. I hope McGovern is an improvement over Williams. He's the weak link and Big Smitty is inconsistent with speed rushers. I think his back is a bigger problem than they're revealing, which is a tendency they have.