Byron Jones the worst in the modern era

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Since these stats started in 1970 for corners that played at least 70 games, Jones only has two interceptions. Two folks! Next on the list has 5 in that span. He hasn’t had an int in two years as well. Mind boggling.

Byron's numbers when thrown on look good to me. Averaging about 85 QB rating when thrown on. That rating *factors in* INTs. 53% completion rating.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneBy00.htm

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
true this is the issue with ALL our FAS, they are very overrated by fans letting emotion get in the way of their argumaneys..

Dak, Amari and BJ are all very good players top 10 in their fields but not top 5 thats huge difference in pay scales and its insane for them demanding top 3-5 deals...they are NOT worth that,, thats how you get in cap heck!

BJ is Brandon Carr 2.0 and we got rid of him for the same reasons.. he was overpaid and made no splash plays..

all these players being retained or let go will come down to COST...some will be tagged and its the relaity of pro sports we will lose some and move on..

Mock drafts have us picking two CBS early before DT and S ..thats odd really, I saw one where no S was taken in the first round but first 5 of 10 2nd round picks theres a run on safetys..we do need a ton of help on defense in Draft and FA so this will be interesting to see what happens with BJ..
Brandon Carr was constantly getting burned.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So you’re trolling? I don’t get it. My point is I heard the stat from Moore and was mind blown. Byron is clearly our best corner no doubt. But to pay him as a non playmaker is ridiculous. If he would take 8 mil I would be all for it. But he still won’t be able to intercept the ball. We have far too many needs and playmakers on D is a huge need.
Personally, I'd rather have a guy who doesn't allow many TD's over a guy who does, but occasionally gets a turnover. Generally speaking, I think a CB who goes after the ball a lot, also gives up big plays a lot.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My point is that the stat is stupid b/c he's only played corner for 32 games
My other point is that INT totals is a dumb way to evaluate CBs.
My other other point is that they system they play makes it impossible for CBs to consistently make plays, so saying "he still won't be able to intercept the ball" is completely baseless.
As a huge fan of Byron, I admit, he doesn't seem to have the best hands.

CWR

Reaction score
who exactly?

Brandon Carr went without an interception last season...he’s had 6 in 3 years, average of 2 a season. Better than us by a bit but you can argue his 4 interception year with Baltimore was an anomaly.

Barry Church lasted two seasons and I believe he’s out of the league. Claiborne averages about the same in interceptions..his problem was he couldn’t stay healthy. He’s still the same in that regard and is a JAG.

Terence Newman did better with interceptions when he was a Cowboy. He had a long successful career with the Cowboys..he just lost confidence his last year here and was best for both parties that they went their separate ways. Newman made the pro bowl as a Cowboy twice, never again.

I know the Chiefs have a guy we cut in training camp, I don’t count that exactly...we just drafted 3 DB’s and had Byron.

so who exactly has done very well? Seems like to me...they’re still average players when they leave the Cowboys. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single DB we let go and they became a pro bowler somewhere else...for that regard there isn’t many players we let go that transform into a pro bowl player on another team.

And the pro bowl is a joke.

The list is longer than that, but you're right none of them became elite after leaving. I suppose it just suprises me to see guys who looked like they were on their way out continue to start in the league and have lengthy careers. Newman was the biggest one. He looked terrible his last season in Dallas.