BYU QB Zach Wilson

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Watched Zach Wilson for the first time in real game action against a quality opponent (Boise St.). Have to say I was pretty impressed. Wilson may have the quickest release of any QB that I can remember coming out. He’s got good athleticism and certain feel to the game. He’s listed at 6’-3” but I’d wager he’s somewhere just north of 6’-1” once he’s officially measured.

Granted it’s one game but I already like what I’ve seen more than I do Trey Lance in terms of QB prospect. The talk of Wilson as QB3 has been picking up and I can see why.

this is the QB i've been wanting since last year. I was hoping he would fly under radar more this year but he's exploding... I would have grabbed him at Top of Round 2 or Round 3 but now i think you would have to over draft him in 1st to get him. No way we can get him at this point, unless you over draft him. he needs a few years seasoning, or he's going to be like all the other guys that are the next greatest that were thrown to the fire to early.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
like him better than Fields

How do you think his arm strength is?

Zach Wilson does a lot of things well. Plus he’s mobile.

Id just like to see him play against a good team but he anticipates throws at a high level. Like he is releasing the ball before the WR has even broke out of his route.

I still think the #2 QB in this class is up for grabs. I don’t see Fields as having is locked down.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
How do you think his arm strength is?

Zach Wilson does a lot of things well. Plus he’s mobile.

Id just like to see him play against a good team but he anticipates throws at a high level. Like he is releasing the ball before the WR has even broke out of his route.

I still think the #2 QB in this class is up for grabs. I don’t see Fields as having is locked down.
Look at him last year vs utah and washington. Closest thing youll get right now to seeing him vs a real team. He played well imo

RS12

Reaction score
Extremely accurate and terrific ball placement. Every throw right where the receiver makes easy catch. Only downside is injury history and level of competition.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I feel 3 or 4 Qbs go top 5,if we dont want to draft a QB then we can clean up with a trade down .

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Watching Justin Fields against Indiana now; two passes thrown: a 65-yarder and then a TD on the next play.

*whoop. Got greedy on his third throw on a deep slant and got picked off.

Last edited:

MrPhil

Reaction score
For what it is worth, here is the Top-10 from Great Blue North:

# PLAYER POS H/W SCHOOL CLASS
1 Trevor Lawrence QB 6-6, 220 Clemson JR
2 Justin Fields QB 6-3, 228 Ohio State JR
3 Penei Sewell OT 6-6, 330 Oregon JR
4 Zach Wilson QB 6-3, 210 Brigham Young JR
5 Kyle Trask QB 6-5, 240 Florida SR
6 Trey Lance QB 6-4, 226 North Dakota State RSO
7 Ja'Marr Chase WR 6-0, 208 LSU JR
8 Micah Parsons OLB 6-3, 245 Penn State JR
9 Gregory Rousseau DE 6-7, 265 Miami RSO
10 Patrick Surtain CB 6-2, 202 Alabama JR

Five QBs in the Top-10.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Wilson is my favorite player in the draft. I love the way he plays, like a little kid on Christmas morning every single play. This is gonna sound stupid but he's not just a QB. He's an actual football player, playing the game without thinking, just doing what comes naturally. Mobile and accurate with a lightning-quick release. Arm strength is an eyeball test and Wilson can really spin it. He throws a fantastic deep ball, can snap off a dart into a tight window and has great touch when he needs to, and he looks like he does it all without effort. So, yeah, I love Wilson, but I think the truly underrated guy in this draft is Kyle Trask. He's a big, pure pocket passer without the athleticism and dynamic esapability teams seek today, but man can he flat pitch the pill.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like him better than Fields, even if we dont draft a QB we can get a huge haul for him if we trade down.

RS12

Reaction score
Newest SI mock has him number 2 to Jville. Figured he d pass Fields. Was hoping he would be here next year. Looks unlikely now.

jnday

Reaction score
Newest SI mock has him number 2 to Jville. Figured he d pass Fields. Was hoping he would be here next year. Looks unlikely now.
I like him as more than Fields and I expect him to rise up draft boards rapidly as the draft approaches.

RS12

Reaction score
I like him as more than Fields and I expect him to rise up draft boards rapidly as the draft approaches.
Welp there is only one spot higher for him to move based on that mock. Not surprised at all.

KB1122

Reaction score
What I like: he's not playing at a major program and throwing to guys wide open (a lot of previous busts) or tossing high to receivers with huge athletic advantages (Burrow) or standing in the pocket for a long time waiting for plays to come open (Burrow).

On the minus side: some of his throws to the sideline are falling on the inside shoulder.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have never seen him play a live game.

watching some of his highlights. His quick release and arm angles are very nice.

one of the big red flags I look for with college prospects are slow releases and weird arm motion when throwing. Because in the NFL, windows are so small. That a slow release can kill you.

his release is very quick. Which I like.