Caleb Williams will leave USC for five teams. Cowboys one of them

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wh
Manning and Elway both had to approve of the team they were traded to, otherwise the Giants and Broncos would have never made the deal.
I've never read or heard that they had any say in where they were traded.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Wh

I've never read or heard that they had any say in where they were traded.
Elway
The Deal: When No. 1 pick John Elway refused to play in Baltimore, the Colts traded the draft rights to the Stanford quarterback to Denver in exchange for quarterback Mark Hermann, the rights to offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 draft, which ended up being guard Ron Solt.

Eli Manning
During an interview on the "10 Questions with Kyle Brandt" podcast, Eli finally revealed why he refused to play for the Chargers, who were then located in San Diego.

"It was my decision having talked with my agent, coaches, [general managers] and owners," Manning said. "Going through the draft process, I was just worried about the Chargers organization at the time. I felt it was the right decision and I had a little pull. I quietly tried to say 'Hey, please don't draft me, it can be our secret,' and they didn't keep the secret part very well."

There were also rumors that Andrew Luck returned to Stanford because he did not want to play for the Panthers. Luck, always classy, said this:
I hope people don’t think that,” Luck said, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “I remember talking to my parents about it and it wasn’t a stressful decision. I think, in my mind, I was always going to stay in school for four years and I still had unfinished business at the college, amateur level. . . .

“I think I grew up. I matured. I got whatever it is out of my system — whatever that college but itch is out of my system. I think I got better at football. I learned a lot more football. And closure. Maybe just wanted some closure that last year.”

Caleb would not be the first by any means. Athletes coming out of college rarely have leverage. With the Franchise Tag, Quarterbacks are even less likley to have leverage after their first contract expires. Nothing wrong with Caleb taking advantage of having some leverage and say in his future.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Elway
The Deal: When No. 1 pick John Elway refused to play in Baltimore, the Colts traded the draft rights to the Stanford quarterback to Denver in exchange for quarterback Mark Hermann, the rights to offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 draft, which ended up being guard Ron Solt.

Eli Manning
During an interview on the "10 Questions with Kyle Brandt" podcast, Eli finally revealed why he refused to play for the Chargers, who were then located in San Diego.

"It was my decision having talked with my agent, coaches, [general managers] and owners," Manning said. "Going through the draft process, I was just worried about the Chargers organization at the time. I felt it was the right decision and I had a little pull. I quietly tried to say 'Hey, please don't draft me, it can be our secret,' and they didn't keep the secret part very well."

There were also rumors that Andrew Luck returned to Stanford because he did not want to play for the Panthers. Luck, always classy, said this:
I hope people don’t think that,” Luck said, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “I remember talking to my parents about it and it wasn’t a stressful decision. I think, in my mind, I was always going to stay in school for four years and I still had unfinished business at the college, amateur level. . . .

“I think I grew up. I matured. I got whatever it is out of my system — whatever that college but itch is out of my system. I think I got better at football. I learned a lot more football. And closure. Maybe just wanted some closure that last year.”

Caleb would not be the first by any means. Athletes coming out of college rarely have leverage. With the Franchise Tag, Quarterbacks are even less likley to have leverage after their first contract expires. Nothing wrong with Caleb taking advantage of having some leverage and say in his future.
I appreciate the info but none of that states that they had any say in where they actually got traded to. I get that they can flat out refuse to play for whoever drafts them or they can threaten to stay in school or do something else. I don't have a problem with that.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
well I watched the documentary involving Elway, he did. And manning with his dad absolutely approved a deal to go to NY.
Oh. Well I will just have to take your word for it. I haven't seen the documentary.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His plan is he won’t come out early if he can’t go to one of those teams. If he sees one of those teams drafting early in round 1 he might leave. If not he will stay and play out his last college year. He has some leverage and he is using it
No leverage. Same thing will happen next year. Then what?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Oh. Well I will just have to take your word for it. I haven't seen the documentary.
cant remember where I saw it, but it was awesome... followed the entire draft that year. Amazing how low tech and media it was back then compared to today. The Elway story was pretty interesting.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I appreciate the info but none of that states that they had any say in where they actually got traded to. I get that they can flat out refuse to play for whoever drafts them or they can threaten to stay in school or do something else. I don't have a problem with that.
You have to realize that if a valued prospect is refusing to play for one team, the team trading for him has had conversations that the prospect would be willing to play for them. Whether that is direct contact or through the agent or through a third party (player's family).

No way Denver (Elway) or the Giants (Manning) make a major move for a player publicly refusing to play for the team that drafted them, that the new team isn't 110% sure is willing to sign with them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leverage only this year. The following year he could force a trade if he doesn’t like the teams who might draft him. Could just sit out.
How could he force a trade to one of 5 teams? You can't force a trade to a specific team.

He is trying to circumvent the system and he can't.

lopey

Reaction score
How could he force a trade to one of 5 teams? You can't force a trade to a specific team.

He is trying to circumvent the system and he can't.
Sure he could. He can refuse to play. It would be a stupid thing to do. I think Eli did it

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. I’ve wondered how the new money available to college super stars like Caleb would impact the draft. He can stay in school and make bank. But, I think he’s in for a rude awakening bc there is no guarantee the teams he wants will be there to draft him the following year either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure he could. He can refuse to play. It would be a stupid thing to do. I think Eli did it
Chargers already had a deal to trade Eli. So this is completely different.

Williams could refuse to play but the team who drafts him would retain his rights. Williams had no leverage. It's try to force the team to trade him or sit out. With only 5 teams on his wish list it's very unlikely that trading him will happen.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I think as long as it's not Chicago, he will be okay. But too bad for him they've got the #1 and #2 pick right now! :oops:

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
No, please no.
When I think of USC QB's I think of Leinart, Peete, Sanchez, Barkley, Rob Johnson, Carson Palmer, Cassel, etc.