Call your shot. New HC

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Kubiak uses Zone Blocking. That is not a "quick hole hitting" scheme.

The delayed nature of the ZBS is what allows good ZBS teams to initially double team DL then kick out on delayed blocks against LBs. They can often get 2 double teams then kick out 1 OL from each double team to block LBs. It's almost like having 7 OL if done correctly.

The OL that kick out make the decision to either block for the run to go outside or to cut back inside.

The RB reads those blocks or anticipates those blocks and makes the decision to stay outside or cut back inside.
Didn’t we run mostly zone scheme when Murray was here?

Praxit

Reaction score
..dont be surprised if Rivera comes into the picture. Because of his DC exp.

johneric8

Reaction score
Urban... Already agreed upon with Jerry, even the freckled puppet knows about it ...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Let Urban get hired as an NFL...here or elsewhere, and you will see what I mean. He won't be one to get coached from the booth or press conference.

Do you think Billicek let's the GM dictate every single thing? I would tend to think not.

You need to either research before writing or know more about what you're trying to talk about . Bill Belichick is head coach AND GM of the patriots.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Urban... Already agreed upon with Jerry, even the freckled puppet knows about it ...

If there was even the slightest shred of poof that Jones and Meyer already come to terms on being the next head coach EVERY sports outlet would have run multiple stories on this yet not a single one has. There have been a few that have SPECULATED that Meyer COULD BE the next head coach, but again it's only speculation and only by a couple.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If there was even the slightest shred of poof that Jones and Meyer already come to terms on being the next head coach EVERY sports outlet would have run multiple stories on this yet not a single one has. There have been a few that have SPECULATED that Meyer COULD BE the next head coach, but again it's only speculation and only by a couple.
Jerry’s option A is still to hope against hope Jason makes the NFC Championship. Then once that officially can’t happen he will interview Richard or Rivera to satisfy Rooney rule.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Jerry’s option A is still to hope against hope Jason makes the NFC Championship. Then once that officially can’t happen he will interview Richard or Rivera to satisfy Rooney rule.

I have no doubt that Jones will comply with the Rooney rule but that still doesn't answer what johneric8 said that Jones and Meyer already have a deal worked out. Again if that was even close to being true EVERY sports outlet would have written multiple stories on that and there hasn't been a single one.

johneric8

Reaction score
I agree, but Jerry has got to be in desperation mode and Meyer makes the most sense. Good old Jerry is going to have to give up some control and he needs a proven winner. I don't buy the NFL experience situation because no matter who comes in it's going to take a couple of seasons to get this mess sorted out. After all, we've waited 20 plus years so what is a few more? One thing people need to realize is that Urban Meyer is not just any college coach, he is a legend, he is an amazing football mind and even better leader of men. I've watched so many videos of him, and any team would be lucky to have that guy.. If Jones can land him, it's a no brainer.. Sure, Jones likes to meddle, but he is getting old and I believe the family understands we have to make a statement.

Don't try and sell me on Ron Rivera, at best he is a defensive coordinator, you can't sell that guy to our fan base or even the media... Jerry will be crucified!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree, but Jerry has got to be in desperation mode and Meyer makes the most sense. Good old Jerry is going to have to give up some control and he needs a proven winner. I don't buy the NFL experience situation because no matter who comes in it's going to take a couple of seasons to get this mess sorted out. After all, we've waited 20 plus years so what is a few more? One thing people need to realize is that Urban Meyer is not just any college coach, he is a legend, he is an amazing football mind and even better leader of men. I've watched so many videos of him, and any team would be lucky to have that guy.. If Jones can land him, it's a no brainer.. Sure, Jones likes to meddle, but he is getting old and I believe the family understands we have to make a statement.

Don't try and sell me on Ron Rivera, at best he is a defensive coordinator, you can't sell that guy to our fan base or even the media... Jerry will be crucified!

Meyer is not the best and obvious choice. College coaches as 1st time NFL head coaches have a dismal record. We have to go all the way back to Jimmy Johnson for the last time a college coach as a 1st time NFL head coach won a Super Bowl with his first team. Meyer like every other college coach rules over kids fresh out of high school or just a year or two removed and they can act like gods because they don't have a CBA to have to worry about. College coaches can't do what they did in college because the CBA stops that. The really good college coaches go out and recruit the 5 star talent and the other colleges get the left overs. They can't do that in the NFL. College coaches do have athletic directors but they're not the same as an NFL GM who sign the talent the coach has to live with. All the people that keep pitching Meyer just don't understand the HUGE difference between college and the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t we run mostly zone scheme when Murray was here?
Yes, OL Coach Bill Callahan was the best coach they've had in the Garrett era. He departed because he hated working with Garrett.

They kept that going when Callahan's assistant Pollack took over as the OL coach which included 2016.

After 2017 they fired Pollack (he could be seen on the All or Nothing series often wanting to be more old school and pushed back on the general Garrett way of doing things).

They hired OL coach Alexander for 2018 but that failed. I do wonder if Alexander would have been correct in the long run about some needed changes. He might have just made the changes to quickly.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They hired OL coach Alexander for 2018 but that failed. I do wonder if Alexander would have been correct in the long run about some needed changes. He might have just made the changes to quickly.

Not so sure. I just think he didn't fit from a personality aspect. He is a bit weird. Ketchup bottle, piano, all that.