News: Callahan Takes Fall For Play Call On Romo’s First Interception

cowboys1981

Reaction score
IMO, between Romo, Garrett and Callahan, I'd trust Romo with making the final play call. Romo has a better feel of the offense.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Callahan threw the ball 44 times to only 7 runs (for a pathetic 19 yards) in the 2002 Super Bowl.

They were 2nd in attempts only behind the Greatest Show on Turf St. Louis Rams, and led the league in passing yards.

Is anyone surprised at what this offense looks like?

dupree89

Reaction score
Garrett could not wait to start throwing people under the bus at the post game presser......................a real head coach says "doesnt matter who made the call or who changed it, I am the head coach and I am responsible".

Of course that would actually require balls to do something like that, which we all know Garrett lacks.

People in Philly got sick of hearing it, but man Andy Reid took full blame for everything.
He'd be asked "On McNabb's interception, was that on the receiver for breaking off the route?"
Andy would say something like...
"Nah, thats on me. I gotta put these guys in a better position and I just gotta do a better job".
Sure it was overdone and "coach speak" as we say....but he wanted all blame on his shoulders.

CowboyFan4Eva

Reaction score
Callahan was hoping it would fade? LOL.. What a joke. Callahan, you moron.. YOU wouldn't be having to answer any questions like this. Nothing would need to be "faded" IF you just would've checked your damn ego at the door. Along with the HC, and QB and RAN THE DAMN BALL in the 2nd half like the team did in the first half..

What game was this guy watching? The coaches did know that they had a 23 pt lead at the half right?

Man, Friday and this loss still stings.

It's not going away. It was that freaking bad. I mean. How could they lose that game? How?
Just little league type stuff......just horrible, bizarre, foul, wrong, really really.........confusing. And .....bad.

There is no explanation for it........

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who's calling the plays.

Romo will change it at the line. That's why they pass three times more than they run.

Which is what he is supposed to do, if the defense shows that it is going to overload against the run.

That's the point that Callahan was making. According to the play design, Romo made the right call. That's Romo's job, to run the play as it is designed.

If the coaches do not want him to audible out of a run when the defense is playing the run, then they have to remove that option.

Romo was at fault for the throw he made, but he did his job in changing the play to a pass based on what the play design called for. As Callahan said, the play design should have called for a run no matter what in that situation.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
It's not going away. It was that freaking bad. I mean. How could they lose that game? How?
Just little league type stuff......just horrible, bizarre, foul, wrong, really really.........confusing. And .....bad.

There is no explanation for it........

Agreed..

Man, The so called HC should've told Romo. ' you have 3 ways you can call this.. Run Left, Run Middle, Run Right. . Any other play? or Audible.. ? You're on the bench for the rest of this game and the season."

dupree89

Reaction score
Which is what he is supposed to do, if the defense shows that it is going to overload against the run.

That's the point that Callahan was making. According to the play design, Romo made the right call. That's Romo's job, to run the play as it is designed.

If the coaches do not want him to audible out of a run when the defense is playing the run, then they have to remove that option.

Romo was at fault for the throw he made, but he did his job in changing the play to a pass based on what the play design called for. As Callahan said, the play design should have called for a run no matter what in that situation.

I agree with your point, in general. 100% I do. But...doesnt the QB have to be smart too? I mean, most of the fans knew that running the ball there was the correct thing to do....and the QB doesnt? Does he not realize game situations and what these situations dictate?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
People in Philly got sick of hearing it, but man Andy Reid took full blame for everything.
He'd be asked "On McNabb's interception, was that on the receiver for breaking off the route?"
Andy would say something like...
"Nah, thats on me. I gotta put these guys in a better position and I just gotta do a better job".
Sure it was overdone and "coach speak" as we say....but he wanted all blame on his shoulders.

Mack Brown was the same way. After a loss one time some reporters were really dogging the players and the coordinators and Mack went off on them

He said that he was the head coach and he was responsible for every assistant coach down to the last walk on player so if anybody is to blame it was him.

That is what great coaches do, not throw everybody under the bus

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree with your point, in general. 100% I do. But...doesnt the QB have to be smart too? I mean, most of the fans knew that running the ball there was the correct thing to do....and the QB doesnt? Does he not realize game situations and what these situations dictate?

Well, the smart play there is to not run into a stacked line when you've got your receiver on a quick slant that could go for a touchdown and finish the game.

The stupid play is after the play is disrupted to try to complete the pass going against your body's momentum because that touchdown is still a possibility.

In other words, I can't really blame Romo, given the option, for audibling to the run, but I certainly do blame him for not just eating the ball after Matthews threw off the timing on the quick slant. He doesn't do it often, thankfully, but sometimes Romo still resorts to that gunslinger mentality that can thrill but also kill.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well, the smart play there is to not run into a stacked line when you've got your receiver on a quick slant that could go for a touchdown and finish the game.

The stupid play is after the play is disrupted to try to complete the pass going against your body's momentum because that touchdown is still a possibility.

In other words, I can't really blame Romo, given the option, for audibling to the run, but I certainly do blame him for not just eating the ball after Matthews threw off the timing on the quick slant. He doesn't do it often, thankfully, but sometimes Romo still resorts to that gunslinger mentality that can thrill but also kill.

I agree about the play call, but he CANNOT under throw that ball. There was literally no one behind Austin. He had to throw it away from the CB and let Austin try to run under it or at worst, break up a potential INT. It was similar to the INT to end the WASH game last year, you can't under throw it in that situation.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree about the play call, but he CANNOT under throw that ball. There was literally no one behind Austin. He had to throw it away from the CB and let Austin try to run under it or at worst, break up a potential INT. It was similar to the INT to end the WASH game last year, you can't under throw it in that situation.

Can't argue against that. I'll go further and say he not only can't underthrow Austin on that play, but he can't allow himself to throw that pass in that situation knowing that he can't set his feet and wasn't able to hit Austin right off the bat, which is when the ball needed to go to him but couldn't because of Matthews' pressure.

I know the big play was still there and that's what Romo saw, but he's got to be smarter than that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Nobody changed the play, nobody told him to call a run. As it has been explained a thousand times, that play was designed to be either a pass or a run, depending on the defensive formation. It was automatic.

That is why Garrett throwing his QB under the bus was such a low thing to do. And now this. What a weasel move by our HC.

Thus this is the major problem with Garrett right there. When crunch time comes along, he has no clue on what to do next. Thus he curls up in a little ball and hides behind others like Romo or even Callahan. He makes sure he stays away from the limelight because he is so scared of deciding the fate of a game that he forgets to make a decision at all.

Analysis Paralysis is what Garrett is all about. Thats why he has such a bad record during crunch time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Thus this is the major problem with Garrett right there. When crunch time comes along, he has no clue on what to do next. Thus he curls up in a little ball and hides behind others like Romo or even Callahan. He makes sure he stays away from the limelight because he is so scared of deciding the fate of a game that he forgets to make a decision at all.

Analysis Paralysis is what Garrett is all about. Thats why he has such a bad record during crunch time.

Good points.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

In pages upon pages of stupidity, the best post is buried deep in this thread.

Good one, gimme.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

"Analysis Paralysis".

I like that.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who's calling the plays.

Romo will change it at the line. That's why they pass three times more than they run.

really? did you reaD that article? you think Romo changes THAT many run plays? then that solidifies my thinking that JG and this coaching staff needs fired...