News: Callahan Takes Fall For Play Call On Romo’s First Interception

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I don't blame the offense at all. 36 points should be good enough. This is ALL on the defense. A single stop in the second half makes all this other nonsense moot

Coy

Reaction score
Nobody changed the play, nobody told him to call a run. As it has been explained a thousand times, that play was designed to be either a pass or a run, depending on the defensive formation. It was automatic.

That is why Garrett throwing his QB under the bus was such a low thing to do. And now this. What a weasel move by our HC.

This.

links18

Reaction score
JJ apparently listened to Garrett's father on how great a QB Henson was.... I'm sure JG is almost as close to JJ as Romo in terms of affection, the former haven't closer family ties. If JG didn't have those connections, he'd be gone by now.

What draft pick did we give up for Henson? Was it a fourth?

Next Years Champ

Reaction score

Garrett is coaching his last 2 games as HC.

They are going to lose the next two games.

Guaranteed.

Same results for the last three years.

We've had chances to win The Eastern Division and should have.

No way Garrett stays.

visionary

Reaction score
i talked to my 'source' at VR, and this is what he told me actually happened and why Callahan took responsibility for the play call (for those of you who are wondering, this was not the janitor or the liquor store clerk so i am less certain that this is exactly what happened, but likely close enough that you can take it to the bank)

after the GB debacle

Act 1 scene 1:

[Jerry walks into Jason Garrett's office

Garrett, like any diligent HC, is busy with his stack, spit, stack routine trying to figure out why the cowboys lost the GB game]

Jerry: Jason, uuhhhmmmm, uumm, lip smack. there is a lot of hue and cry about the lack of runs at the end of the game. ummuummmm, your best efforts at distraction and even throwing romo under the bus did not work. uummm uuuhhh, i think you will have to take responsibility

Jason: [turns away from the 'process' of 'stacking' boxes in shock] err, jerry, i am surprised by that. i was sure it would work. what about blaming it on kiffin? we could say that football is a team game?

[Jason back to stacking boxes]

Jerry (irritated): uuhhh, jason, stop the stacking for a second and listen to me [lip smack]. kiffin is the DC and we are talking about the offense. arent you supposed to have some experience in that area? i know that even we dont think you actually know what you are doing, but this is the public we are talking about. we can fool them for only so long. some of them might actually be paying attention.

Jason: [stops stacking, spits, spits again] good point jerry , why cant we just say that we will look at tape and get better every day?

Jerry: uummm, uuhhh isnt that romo's usual line? i think he already used it

Jason: [spitting] Well, i guess it sounds like callahan will have to take responsibility because i am pretty sure we wrote in his contract that he would have to take responsibility for any bad news that comes out

Jerry: we did? and he agreed to it? that stephen, i knew i kept him around for something uummm, lip smack

Jason goes back to the tried and tested stack, spit, stack ritual in preparation for the upcoming Commanders game

Act 1 scene 2:

Jerry: Judy [secretary] can you ask Bill Callahan to come to my office? Yes, yes, the person who uses the little boys chair in the ofice marked "Offensive co-ordinator", that Callahan.

scottsp

Reaction score
Alas, the shell game continues over at VR. Coaches absolve players, and players coaches. Meanwhile, nothing gets fixed.

What goes on behind closed doors in anyone's guess. The nonsense we get fed is nothing if not entertaining, but it's the stuff we don't have access to that should be alarming. Parcells loved to remind us "this is a results-oriented business."

Doesn't seem to be the case in these parts.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The only play call options at that stage should have been:
a) run right
b) run left
c) run up the middle

I don't know why the trio of Garrett/Callahan/Romo acted like imbecile/moron/idiot.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As well he should take the blame.

But as HC, Jason owed it to Jerra and the fans to stop the show and yell "No. We will run the ball and lactate the clock!"
That is what the sideline boss is supposed to do and he did not.
That left the door open for Tony Romo to try the glory road by passing when Tony KNEW good and well that he should run the ball. If Tony did not know that, then maybe his IQ is insufficient to be the field general. If Jason is that milquetoast, then, he too needs a football IQ refresher course.

khiladi

Reaction score

khiladi

Reaction score
Wow! That was the same year Parcells brought in Vinny and canned Quincy right?

Yep... Both Lacewell and Jim Garrett 'retired' in 2004. Somehow they returned in some capacity when Parcells left.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Tony better be in the Christmas giving spirit with all the people falling on the sword for him.

Reactions: Ren

jblaze2004

Reaction score
don't you love when we have super old guys making mistakes and are stubborn in there ways. Why not get a young guy that is actually innovative. I rather take the mistakes of a rookie than two old end of the line coaches. smh. We can do better.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Tony better be in the Christmas giving spirit with all the people falling on the sword for him.

you must didn't see those to gifts he gave greenbay last week. Lmao. Merry Christmas greenbay and eagles. smh

vaturkey

Reaction score
I think lots of folks are missing something. I have looked at that play from about 3 different angles per the NFL Network from the various network feeds. The problem wasn't what Romo did. The problem was in execution. Romo was trying to avoid getting hit and was turning his back and sliding away from the direction he was trying to throw the pass. If he would have hung in there after the spin move and stepped into the throw, its a good throw and and easy catch. The problem was execution and that falls on Tony and Tony alone. Heard this on the NFL network radio feed as well from Greg Cossell. He blames both interceptions on Tony. He also said on the second interception that Cole Beasley read that the cornerback was coming up and thus stopped his route and sat down the way he was supposed to do. Tony didn't see that cornerback and continued to throw it to the spot Beasley would have been if the cornerback hadn't come up. Beasley in other words did the right thing and Romo missed that one as well. Amazing that everyone is taking the blame for two bad pieces of execution. The plays were there to be made, Tony just missed them.

Reactions: Ren

Ren

Reaction score
it wasnt callahans call that got picked off and he didnt throw a horribly inaccurate pass to boot.​

links18

Reaction score
I think lots of folks are missing something. I have looked at that play from about 3 different angles per the NFL Network from the various network feeds. The problem wasn't what Romo did. The problem was in execution. Romo was trying to avoid getting hit and was turning his back and sliding away from the direction he was trying to throw the pass. If he would have hung in there after the spin move and stepped into the throw, its a good throw and and easy catch. The problem was execution and that falls on Tony and Tony alone. Heard this on the NFL network radio feed as well from Greg Cossell. He blames both interceptions on Tony. He also said on the second interception that Cole Beasley read that the cornerback was coming up and thus stopped his route and sat down the way he was supposed to do. Tony didn't see that cornerback and continued to throw it to the spot Beasley would have been if the cornerback hadn't come up. Beasley in other words did the right thing and Romo missed that one as well. Amazing that everyone is taking the blame for two bad pieces of execution. The plays were there to be made, Tony just missed them.

In that game situation, if you are the head coach/offensive coordinator, and you don't want these risks to taken, you instruct the QB to run the ball, not check into a risky pass. If the QB has the option to check into a risky pass and he throws a pick, its on the coaching staff as much as the QB.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
the problem is injuries and etc caused tony romo to do a lot of chuck and duck. He see's someone coming loses focus on passing the ball and he starts to focus on protecting his self smh. I see it all game. THE BLAME IS ON TONY. You either throw a good pass or take the dang sack.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ironic... Wade took the blame for Garrett's blunder call to Choice against the Commanders, that resulted in a fumble and loss, while Garrett kept his mouth shut.

Exactly...............4 seconds left on the clock on your own 30 yard line and this idiot called a swing pass to choice who fumbles the ball and the Skins return if for a TD.................we lost that game by 4 points.

And yet this is one of the games the makes up Wade's "1-7" record that got him fired.....................The Garrett fanboys love to throw around that 1-7 record and how Opie turned the team around.

Any yet they say jack about Garrett's incompetence contributing to that 1-7 record that got Wade fired................Wade was also blown out only 1 time during that 1-7 stretch..........Garrett has had 2 blowouts and a historic collaspe (440-1), all on national TV in just a little over a month period.