Calling all Experts. What happened on this play?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Dak should have probably thrown it to whoever the delayed blitzer was originally covering instead of the double covered receiver.
Nah. They had a guy sitting in that short zone that was vacated. This is a walk-in TD if handled properly by the OL and Dak goes thru his reads. I would assume TY is his second read looking at the design of the play.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Dak should have probably thrown it to whoever the delayed blitzer was originally covering instead of the double covered receiver.
Why were 3 olineman including the great zach Martin blocking 1 guy? I like to ask questions. I really don't know. Was Dak supposed to know that exotic blitz san Fran did or what? It wasn't a talent issue on that play

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
9:00 mark what do you see in the play?

Nice defensive play design and even better execution.

The blitzer comes off of Lamb. QBs are supposed to throw into the hole left by the blitzer, and it just so happens to be our star WR.

But...

Lamb actually gets bracket coverage downfield between 54 and 29. If Dak puts more air under it he still had a chance, but it was a good play design to bait Dak into throwing into double coverage.

To be fair to Dak, Hilton only came wide open because the guy over him just decided to stand there while Hilton ran by. Not something you'd predict.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This is a tough one to me. I can't imagine martins responsibility is to just stand there blocking no one. I guess it could be argued he should have kept one eye on a potential blitzer and peeled off.

Maybe this is the play that cost the last Oline coach his job.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Nice defensive play design and even better execution.

The blitzer comes off of Lamb. QBs are supposed to throw into the hole left by the blitzer, and it just so happens to be our star WR.

But...

Lamb actually gets bracket coverage downfield between 54 and 29. If Dak puts more air under it he still had a chance, but it was a good play design to bait Dak into throwing into double coverage.

To be fair to Dak, Hilton only came wide open because the guy over him just decided to stand there while Hilton ran by. Not something you'd predict.
I watched these highlights and philly vs san Fran before I came to the conclusion we needed Mazi a few weeks ago. While watching I noticed this play and slowed it down. That design by Ryan's was nasty. Is Dan Quinn doing stuff like that? I'm not sure

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why were 3 olineman including the great zach Martin blocking 1 guy? I like to ask questions. I really don't know. Was Dak supposed to know that exotic blitz san Fran did or what? It wasn't a talent issue on that play
Yeah. The problem was the oline, and in particular Zack. Zack needed to get back on the otherwise free runner. There was no one else to do it.

With more time Dak can look to his next read or get more air under the ball but as they blocked he's facing a free runner.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This is a tough one to me. I can't imagine martins responsibility is to just stand there blocking no one. I guess it could be argued he should have kept one eye on a potential blitzer and peeled off.

They had another LB over the LG feinting a blitz which screwed up the OL's assignment.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yeah. The problem was the oline, and in particular Zack. Zack needed to get back on the otherwise free runner. There was no one else to do it.

With more time Dak can look to his next read or get more air under the ball but as they blocked he's facing a free runner.
@WillieBeamen will come in here and say I'm throwing on a cape for Dak but that's not it. Dak had some terrible plays this game but cmon that oline play on that play is kind of crazy

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
On the next play, it's funny watching Gallimore somehow chasing Kittle in coverage 20 yards downfield. No comment on the tackling "attempt' from his teammate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It was just a nice play design. The guy opposite Zack crosses his face. Zack *wants* to push him to Biadasz, but that gets him turned away from the blitzer. Just didn't see him coming.
Turns out Zack ain't perfect.
Who knew?
@WillieBeamen will come in here and say I'm throwing on a cape for Dak but that's not it. Dak had some terrible plays this game but cmon that oline play on that play is kind of crazy
I can't fault Dak for this one. I've seen other people do it, but he's got a free runner on him and needs to get the ball out of his hands.