1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Calm down folks! The franchise tag is probably best

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DCCowboys11, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DCCowboys11

DCCowboys11 Well-Known Member

229 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    I really wish some people would just calm down about the Dak deal. We wanted a coach that had some roster power and now we have it. They are going to give Mike McCarthy a year to evaluate Dak & make sure he is “the guy”. This was always to plan IMO. The Cowboys probably offered a deal with terms they already guessed Dak wouldn’t agree to or terms that would give them an easy out. Publicly they tried to create the perception of “Oh...we love Dak he’s our future” Truth is they may just like him a lot & aren’t really sure. It’s the correct approach.

CouchCoach, Section446, DFWJC and 9 others like this.
  2. JJHLH1

JJHLH1 Well-Known Member

3,621 Messages
    8,334 Likes Received
    They won’t be able to afford Dak in 2021 if he is the guy. That’s the problem. $38 million cap hit is too big when the cap may be flat or even decline.

3. ElGatoGrande

ElGatoGrande EGG

7,946 Messages
    4,734 Likes Received
    Oh please, they can afford anybody they want, the guy just has to be worth it.

4. Playmaker247

Playmaker247 Well-Known Member

856 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    That’s the worry. And seriously I can’t believe how spoiled our fan base has gotten. We lucked into Dak after lucking into Romo. We have a track record of being poor QB evaluators and yet of some y’all want to roll the dice just to be stuck in QB purgatory. You have a young in their prime roster and people want to restart just so you can waste everyone’s prime looking for a QB every year? Make it make sense

JJHLH1 likes this.
  5. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

4,800 Messages
    8,240 Likes Received
    :thumbup:A
    We have a winner! The first post-deadline “everybody calm down” thread!

:muttley::facepalm::thumbup:

6. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

20,299 Messages
    38,024 Likes Received
    Some people have short memories. "Dak sucks!" Not really, these guys sucked.

Portnoy1, Furboy and JJHLH1 like this.
  7. JJHLH1

JJHLH1 Well-Known Member

3,621 Messages
    8,334 Likes Received
    Agree 100%.

Jerry and Stephen must be planning on lucking into another QB like they did with Romo and Dak. Odds are against that happening for a 3rd time.

8. Gridiron Man

Gridiron Man "I AM GRIDIRON MAN"

967 Messages
    1,462 Likes Received
    The media is sensationalizing the issue and making it out to be some kind of controversy.

It's pretty simple. The franchise tag works in favor of both party's interests. The 2020 season will likely be a non-season, with a new head coach. Dak has proven himself enough to be tagged, with the benefit of the franchise looking for a little more insurance. Prove it again Dak and take the iron throne.

9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

31,446 Messages
    45,529 Likes Received
    Not probably. It is.

What a great day to be a Cowboys fan!

BoysfaninVegas and PAPPYDOG like this.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

17,223 Messages
    21,060 Likes Received
    The C'boys FO obviously wants more proof of Dak's "elite" qualities before handing him the big checks.

Their reluctance to cater to Dak's and Todd France's demands spoke volumes in terms of their feelings.

Eastex and CowboyoWales like this.
  11. PAPPYDOG

PAPPYDOG "It was a catchable pass" Zone Supporter

8,797 Messages
    12,801 Likes Received
    Go with the 8-8 and getting abused by teams with winning records.
    You're a winner man dang the glass is half full now, isn't it????

Grenic likes this.
  12. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

11,059 Messages
    6,103 Likes Received
    I kinda agree....I think we’re better with Dak than without but I’d toss him aside in a heartbeat if we had any shot in hades to trade it all and get Lawrence next year. The tag allows us that possibility while also being able to leverage Dak again next offseason and possibly recoup a pick or two. If Dak takes us to the SB, then fine too.

CowboyoWales likes this.
  13. CowboyoWales

CowboyoWales Active Member

448 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    100% .... and MM must have a say in this. You cant bring in a new HC and without working with the team tell him, this is what you've got (and VERY little flexibility).

DCCowboys11 and DFWJC like this.
  14. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    2,862 Likes Received
    Stop listening to BSPN. If Dak plays well enough to earn the tag they can redo contracts to keep him. If there is a big decrease in the cap what team other then the Cowboys are gonna pay Dak what he wants. The Cowboys have the power. The only way Dak leaves the Cowboys is if the Joneses don’t want him.

DCCowboys11 likes this.
  15. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

4,336 Messages
    4,598 Likes Received
    I'm settling into agreeing with exactly this.

And my position is also that the funerals are premature.

I'm not a Prescott supporter, nor a hater, but I'm concerned it may take longer to find a replacement than guys like Tyron and Martin have left on their careers.

Also would like to see if Prescott can improve after getting out for under Garrett.

That answer very clearly has a decent chance to be yes.

Bullflop likes this.
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

28,927 Messages
    18,882 Likes Received
    These no basis theories that the Cowboys weren't sold on Dak are laughable. You don't offer a guy 35 million for 5 years if you don't like the guy or have doubts. Mindless, mindless theory. They wanted Dak sooooo bad, that they didn't want to sign him for less than 4 years.

Its actually the dumbest thing I have ever seen that they wouldn't give him 4 years. Both sides completely botched it. But maybe Jerry will do what he should be doing ever year. Develop real options at QB under the starter.

17. numnuts23

numnuts23 Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    1,093 Likes Received
    The college/NFL style is closer to each other now than in the past. College QB's can come in right away and have success when surrounded by talent.
    While Dak is a good QB - he is not someone you want taking up that much of your cap space. Depleted talent around Dak - he won't be near the same.

These same talking media heads who have always said he isn't elite are now screaming about him not getting paid like an elite QB. Come on guys....be smarter than the media, it shouldn't be too hard :)

DCCowboys11 likes this.
  18. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

9,548 Messages
    13,060 Likes Received
    The offered him 175 million with 110 Gauranteed. .........which puts Dak behind only Mahomes. .....a place he doesnt deserve.

19. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

876 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    Franchise tag is best case scenario and in all honesty it is the absolute least of our problems. Offense is gonna put up gaudy stats again. Defense and special teams need to improve dramatically.

DCCowboys11 likes this.
  20. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

876 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    Time to run a serious read option and make a push for a super bowl.