Calvin Ridley suspended for betting on NFL games

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Jesus, they should give him an award if he was able to win an 8-team parlay. I used to parlay through a local bookie on 5 teams for a few years ($5 ticket, $100 payout) and I never won. Between myself and 2 friends, we had 2 winning weeks span across 3 years.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Why no thread about how many around here wanted him to be the pick over LVE, wheras we wouldn't have traded for Cooper six months later?

Oh I see why.

The Cooper trade worked out folks. You're looking at the alternative right here.

The alternative being neither will play for the Cowboys in 2022?

Flamma

Reaction score
Shame and sadness for this young man.......he will probably never play in the NFL again?

I think he'll play again. Just in 2023. Atlanta still owes him 11M. And I think that cap hit gets applied to 2022.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jesus, they should give him an award if he was able to win an 8-team parlay. I used to parlay through a local bookie on 5 teams for a few years ($5 ticket, $100 payout) and I never won. Between myself and 2 friends, we had 2 winning weeks span across 3 years.

I used to almost exclusively bet 2 game parlays. On occasion 3. Once you go higher than that you're asking to lose. But I was being 100s of dollars. In smaller amounts, no big deal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I used to almost exclusively bet 2 game parlays. On occasion 3. Once you go higher than that you're asking to lose. But I was being 100s of dollars. In smaller amounts, no big deal.

I can't tell you how many times a win was just 1 game away only for someone to kick a FG to screw the group. Parlays are the best thing on the planet for early games, and then the late games come along and kick your right in the jewels.

plymkr

Reaction score

See this is why I respect Tony Dungy so much. He makes a good point and wasn't toting the NFL company line. I have 2 issues with this situation. One is someone in Ridley's camp needs to talk some sense into this man. This ranks up there with Randall straling underwear and cologne while making hundreds of thousands playing football. He's got a problem and be needs some people in his camp to help him. My second issue is with the NFL. In their statement they said they have to keep the integrity of the game in tact starting from the owners on down to the players. So Tom Brady and the patriots getting caught cheating several times over 20 years doesn't hurt the integrity of the game? C'mon. Tom Brady was the face of the NFL and they liked him, Ridley is not and they don't like him. Ridley banished for a year. I don't like the inconsistency of discipline by the NFL and this is one more example of it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The problem is that you cant have NFL players making bets on NFL games, that opens up a whole can of worms if players are throwing games.

Did that QB just throw into triple coverage and got picked because it was a bad read or does he have 100g on the other team winning? See the problem that opens up if you let NFL players openly bet on NFL games. No way can the league allow that.

Fair point. Still, a year ban is harsh imo.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I understand it but if he was betting on his team to win then it should be ok. I think that’s what rose was doing but rules are rules. It’s just not like he is shaving points.

Flamma

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times a win was just 1 game away only for someone to kick a FG to screw the group. Parlays are the best thing on the planet for early games, and then the late games come along and kick your right in the jewels.

My favorite bet was an "IF" bet. They are just as hard as parlays, but you don't lose nearly as much as a parlay. Don't win as much either. You can lose an IF bet, and 50% of the time only pay the vig.

Flamma

Reaction score
How do they now handle this Miami situation? If the owner is willing to pay his coach to lose games, doesn't that fall into the same category as what Ridley did? It's not gambling, but it's tampering with outcomes. If it can be proven that the owner did this, he should be forced to sell the team.

John813

Reaction score
Screenshot-20220307-194911-Mood.jpg

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Protecting the shield and integrity of the game, are misleading terms. Owners and happy endings. Owners with strippers. Owners tanking games. Owners passed out on drugs. Owners abusing employees. Bounties, conspiracies, and chaos abound. Now the coaches...

Motorola

Reaction score
Pete Rose punishment?
Apples and oranges.
Ridley gets his head straight, avoids other trouble, keeps in NFL shape (can he go play in the XFL?)...MAYBE still be good enough to return some team's training camp summer of 2023 - but he will be 28 & 1/2 years old. If he fails in the comeback - a very promising NFL career truncated.
Rose: had one of the most accomplished careers in Major League Baseball over two-plus decades - competing with and against numerous HOF players in that era - but he will never be enshrined at Cooperstown. Baseball legend who will die as an outcast in the sport he was so great at.