CFZ Camp Observations

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes, apparently Jourdan Lewis thinks Daron Bland can contribute this year.

DBs & WRs are a good area of focus when they're not in pads.

Side Note: Brown now #3 with Bland taking Brown's #30.

They've had some snaps where the OL was to intentionally let the pass rushers get to the QB.
- They wanted to see the QB with pressure in their face.
- I specifically remember thinking that Steele whiffed a couple of times and then a media guy in that video pointed out they were testing the QB vs pressure on those specific snaps. It's possible Cavanaugh saw those snaps and didn't know they were intentionally letting the pass rushers win.
Yeah, you can’t really take the media guy’s comments as what really happened. Some have guys they don’t like and everything they say about that player is shaded by their agenda. Some have guys they love and give glowing reports when they don’t really deserve that either. It is just really difficult to know.

Really, it is best to just let camp play out before judging the players one way or the other. It all comes to light by the time the 53 is formed.

I mean, I like to hear the blurbs about players too… I just don’t let it influence my opinion too much, either way.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Everyone want a list, we like lists in this forum, will here is the best short list in house.
@xwalker
@AsthmaField
Thats 1a 1b information providers of total relevance and keeping it real most of the time, the rest of us are just runnerups.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, you can’t really take the media guy’s comments as what really happened. Some have guys they don’t like and everything they say about that player is shaded by their agenda. Some have guys they love and give glowing reports when they don’t really deserve that either. It is just really difficult to know.

Really, it is best to just let camp play out before judging the players one way or the other. It all comes to light by the time the 53 is formed.

I mean, I like to hear the blurbs about players too… I just don’t let it influence my opinion too much, either way.
But seeing early results of players that have been identified early, like Vasher, and Bell, Cox, its not a negative at all that we are getting early indicators.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
When Quinn finds his WLB and Im a firm believer he has, and there is a pretty deep rotation there, probably deepest position on entire roster.
Q covets the WLB, thats why players like Bell that looks like a natural SS, so hard to define this early.
There is a lot of activity taken place early in camp with this back seven, good competition amongst the rook class and 2nd year taken place right now.
Just looking at the depth.
Brown establishing a solid veteran presence.
Diggs, increasing his coverage ability, just dialing down the set up that he was so adapt at, he can be a better cover corner when he begins understanding the risk vs reward value.
When Diggs balances his game we will have a really good back seven of DBs, we all feel so comfortable and rarely speak of Lewis, but lets take a real close look at this vet that is totally
aware of the scheme.
This back seven may be young, and we have plenty more to discuss, but this defense has more of a veteran presence established that some are not recognizing.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sam is gonna be a beast.

Yeah a couple of practices in jerseys and helmets tells it all!

:rolleyes:

On a serious note, I hope you're right but excuse me if I wait until at least preseason games come along before I jump on the bandwagon....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
But seeing early results of players that have been identified early, like Vasher, and Bell, Cox, its not a negative at all that we are getting early indicators.
Right. It is a good sign and you’d rather hear that than the opposite, but it all should be taken with a big OL’ grain of salt.

Like Broaddus saying that Ball is small when that obviously isn’t the case. You know there are fans out there right now that think Ball isn’t big enough and can’t be the backup because of what Broaddus (the expert) said.

Broaddus will also give glowing reports to guys that he liked coming out of the draft. Those can be misleading as well… just in the opposite direction.

And it’s not just Broaddus… he’s just an example. The other radio guys are just as susceptible to it as he is. And the tv guys.

I mean, I read everything that I can get my hands on too. I enjoy it and love this time of year. I just try to remember all the times I’ve heard a player sucked, when they really didn’t, and remember all the times when a player was great, when they really weren’t.

Some reports are right on target too, but we just can’t be sure when they are.

Like I said, it all comes to light by the time they set the 53. So until then, I try to just keep an even keel on players. As always, I give the most weight to what I see in the clips and what I see in the preseason games.

Maybe one day I’ll get myself to camp. That would be great.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah a couple of practices in jerseys and helmets tells it all!

:rolleyes:

On a serious note, I hope you're right but excuse me if I wait until at least preseason games come along before I jump on the bandwagon....
But you have to admit, if you have been following, and taking the occasional glimpse, Sam does look the part, and Parsons is going to turn Sam into a beast, like how Demarcus Ware mentored Von Miller, but just quicker.
Im not apologizing for being very excited about that potentially huge chemistry event taking place..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thats why I love Parsons personality he can talk the talk becuase he can walk the walk, and that is the perfect leader character trait that you want to come from a str8 playa, Parsons represents.
His ego is so huge for a very good reason, and this is the type of player that can take all players up a notch, but esp those that he mentors the most, and while I see several following the trend on this
roster. ie.. Cox,, I believe Smith will be Parsons understudy all camp and nobody is going to have a problem with it.
This defense is going to be really fast back seven, talented group, we have some questions upfront that need some resolution.
So its early there, and who knows maybe we get lucky and our young DL all start killing it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But you have to admit, if you have been following, and taking the occasional glimpse, Sam does look the part, and Parsons is going to turn Sam into a beast, like how Demarcus Ware mentored Von Miller, but just quicker.
Im not apologizing for being very excited about that potentially huge chemistry event taking place..

I appreciate the optimism, no need to apologize, like I said, I hope you're right.

Does he "look the part"? Sure, but also like I said, a couple of non-pads practices is far from being an NFL "beast", that's just not nearly enough information to base an opinion on.

I also make no apologies for any number of draft busts and players that never lived up to expectations over the last 26 years, I just prefer to avoid disappointments based on "potential'...