Can anyone explain not punting with 1 minute left?

Dodger12

Reaction score
:lmao2:Now Garrett doesn't value the run?

I never said you couldn't critique them. I'm arguing you on merit. I have even admitted that he has faults. I'm not the one that is all or nothing mindlessness, chachi.

Which running back did he develop? Folks like you were stating that any RB could run behind this line. Matter of fact, the line got more credit for Murray's success than Murray did.

And you're arguing with me on merit? Really?

This is what it always comes down to. Fans thinking they know better than the coach. You have your list of mistakes and have it all figured out. They only think they're smart!

This was your first post to me. The old fall back line that coaches know more than anyone else and they can't be questioned by a mere fan.

Stick with statistics; critical thinking is not your forte.

Garrettop

Reaction score
Dallas has been one of the most balanced teams in the league going back to the beginning of last year, and Garrett lobbied hard to keep Murray on the team. But Garrett "doesn't value the run".

Dodger12

Reaction score
Dallas has been one of the most balanced teams in the league going back to the beginning of last year, and Garrett lobbied hard to keep Murray on the team. But Garrett "doesn't value the run".

Garrett's been here for what now....8 years? I mean, are we really discussing this? Honestly? Show me where he's developed a RB and valued the run. He has enough of a body of work here where people can form informed opinions.

And Romo started the season last year with a bad back. That forced Garrett to run moreso than any offensive philosophy.

Garrettop

Reaction score
Garrett's been here for what now....8 years? I mean, are we really discussing this? Honestly? Show me where he's developed a RB and valued the run. He has enough of a body of work here where people can form informed opinions.

And Romo started the season last year with a bad back. That forced Garrett to run moreso than any offensive philosophy.

Because running behind Costa with Choice would have been wise.

The line that has been built since Garret became head coach is a mauling, run oriented line. Because he doesn't value that.

Dodger12

Reaction score

The line that has been built since Garret became head coach is a mauling, run oriented line. Because he doesn't value that.

So the idea wasn't to run behind the line because not all of the OL were first round picks or consensus first round picks (Collins)? Got it. No wonder we're not using our TE's. Bennett and Escobar weren't 1st round picks. Now I understand.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Which running back did he develop? Folks like you were stating that any RB could run behind this line. Matter of fact, the line got more credit for Murray's success than Murray did.

And you're arguing with me on merit? Really?

This was your first post to me. The old fall back line that coaches know more than anyone else and they can't be questioned by a mere fan.

Stick with statistics; critical thinking is not your forte.

We are speaking on an anonymous interwebs forum. In the general sense, if there is to be an authority on the subject of football it would be the coaches who teach it at the highest level wouldn't you think? I'm not saying that you or I in a specific instance could not be correct over any other individual. That is not what I am talking about.

I could start yanking quotes but you talk like you know how to coach a football team better than Garrett, Campo, Jauron, or whatever 'bad coach' you guys conjure up as you heap superlatives on all of them and tick off your lists as you go looking for reasons to vomit out a 7 game losing streak. BLAME! FAULT! FIRE HIM! GROG IS REBORN!!!

So what do you guys think of Zimmer now? Would you like him to coach the team?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I think it a nice counter point to the guys that blame him for run run pass tendencies in the playcalling.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think it a nice counter point to the guys that blame him for run run pass tendencies in the playcalling.

Garrett's first pick as a head coach was a LT. His 3rd pick was a RB. He has also spent 2 other 1st round picks on OL. I find it very hard to say that Garrett doesn't value the run. I also think in the first 3 years or so as HC, he was trying to win games with what was out there which was not a good OL especially a consistent running OL. So his game plans were focused on passing, because we had a HOF TE and a fair to average QB (ha ha, Tony is awesome) and they could be trusted more than the crappy OL we put out there. Once he felt we had the OL to be an effective and consistent run team, we became one. Got a pretty average running back paid like an elite one in the process. I think he has done a great job building the team from the talent voided one it was when he took over.

Dodger12

Reaction score
We are speaking on an anonymous interwebs forum. In the general sense, if there is to be an authority on the subject of football it would be the coaches who teach it at the highest level wouldn't you think? I'm not saying that you or I in a specific instance could not be correct over any other individual. That is not what I am talking about.

But you are, thus your comment about the coaches knowing more then us as if we are not worthy to critique or criticize them because we fans "think we know better than the coach." He's made some mistakes. He's made some rookie type head coaching mistakes. He's made some game clock and game management mistakes. All coaches make them. Coughlin made a mind numbing error in our 1st game that absolutely cost the Giants the game. He's a SB winning HC but he got lambasted in the NY media. He wasn't free of criticism and neither should Garrett (and I can appreciate your hoinest assessment in an earlier post).

I could start yanking quotes but you talk like you know how to coach a football team better than Garrett, Campo, Jauron, or whatever 'bad coach' you guys conjure up as you heap superlatives on all of them and tick off your lists as you go looking for reasons to vomit out a 7 game losing streak. BLAME! FAULT! FIRE HIM! GROG IS REBORN!!!

So what do you guys think of Zimmer now? Would you like him to coach the team?

I don't know a fraction of football as even the worst coach. But I know enough to see a bad play call, game or clock managent, etc. As I stated earlier, any football novice can tell you Coughlin screwed up big against us and it cost the game. It happens. But you should also be disgusted after a 7 game losing streak. Those are relatively rare and the HC has to take some sort of responsibility when the players he's had here and evaluated for at least 2 years stink the place up.

And what does Zimmer in Minny have anything to do with his time in Dallas? I'm actually happy for him because the guy toiled as an assistant coach and got his shot as a HC and he's doing well thus far. But it was still time for him to go. If we still had Zimmer, we may never have had a shot at Kiffin which means we may never have had a shot at Marinelli which means we may never have witnessed the "Golden Cock." No thanks......

Dodger12

Reaction score
The line was bad. Or don't you think so?

Garrett went 5 and 3 with that line and a back-up QB as an interim HC. And Murray did pretty well with that line. Sure we needed to improve and our current line will not look the same in 4 years as it does now. But are are you saying we didn't run because of a bad OL so we expose our franchise QB to dropping back 40 times a game with the same bad OL?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But you are, thus your comment about the coaches knowing more then us as if we are not worthy to critique or criticize them because we fans "think we know better than the coach." He's made some mistakes. He's made some rookie type head coaching mistakes. He's made some game clock and game management mistakes. All coaches make them. Coughlin made a mind numbing error in our 1st game that absolutely cost the Giants the game. He's a SB winning HC but he got lambasted in the NY media. He wasn't free of criticism and neither should Garrett (and I can appreciate your hoinest assessment in an earlier post).

I don't know a fraction of football as even the worst coach. But I know enough to see a bad play call, game or clock managent, etc. As I stated earlier, any football novice can tell you Coughlin screwed up big against us and it cost the game. It happens. But you should also be disgusted after a 7 game losing streak. Those are relatively rare and the HC has to take some sort of responsibility when the players he's had here and evaluated for at least 2 years stink the place up.

And what does Zimmer in Minny have anything to do with his time in Dallas? I'm actually happy for him because the guy toiled as an assistant coach and got his shot as a HC and he's doing well thus far. But it was still time for him to go. If we still had Zimmer, we may never have had a shot at Kiffin which means we may never have had a shot at Marinelli which means we may never have witnessed the "Golden Cock." No thanks......

Again with the strawmen. I never said that. "As if" you should have stopped right there. I was speaking to your genereal tone more than your ability frankly.

You are using the NY media's behavior as the model for your behavior. That is lovely.

In this particular instance, Garrett appears to have decided to avoid giving his opponent a return opportunity and put a lot of trust in his defense. It paid off and hopefully that confidence can pay dividends down the road. Cam in the 2 minute drill to end the game would be awesome to see unfold.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Again with the strawmen. I never said that. "As if" you should have stopped right there. I was speaking to your genereal tone more than your ability frankly.

You are using the NY media's behavior as the model for your behavior. That is lovely.

In this particular instance, Garrett appears to have decided to avoid giving his opponent a return opportunity and put a lot of trust in his defense. It paid off and hopefully that confidence can pay dividends down the road. Cam in the 2 minute drill to end the game would be awesome to see unfold.

I don't see a big deal with his call at the end of the game. You can argue the point either way I guess but Tannehill wasn't going to beat us with a minute left and no time outs behind by 2 scores/possessions. Much ado about nothing.

The Carolina game is going to be a good indicator of where we may have been this season if Romo didn't go down. If we get by Carolina it greatly increases our chances which are probably pretty slim but at least we'd still be alive and have some momentum. I don't want to see this game go down to the wire unless it's Romo in the 2 minute drill that throws another TD to seal the victory. If anything, this season should have shown to a lot of fans, as well as other teams, what Romo has meant to this franchise.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't see a big deal with his call at the end of the game. You can argue the point either way I guess but Tannehill wasn't going to beat us with a minute left and no time outs behind by 2 scores/possessions. Much ado about nothing.

The Carolina game is going to be a good indicator of where we may have been this season if Romo didn't go down. If we get by Carolina it greatly increases our chances which are probably pretty slim but at least we'd still be alive and have some momentum. I don't want to see this game go down to the wire unless it's Romo in the 2 minute drill that throws another TD to seal the victory. If anything, this season should have shown to a lot of fans, as well as other teams, what Romo has meant to this franchise.

Two or three little mistakes can turn a win into a loss. No coach is above criticism and football isn't so complicated that ordinary fans can't debate an NFL coach on strategy. JG struggled with game management so much that he stopped calling plays so he could focus on the entire team.

He can learn something new every game just like we can and the players can. If he can turn a mistake or two into better calls it might pay off in the next close game.

You might trust your gut and stay on a 15 against a 10 in Blackjack and even win, but the odds say you should hit. If you play BJ by the book a bunch of little advantages add up and makes it the best game for the player vs the house. If you play too conservative it will catch with you and you will eventually lose.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Garrett overthinking again

ever consider that you don't have the capacity to understand solid decision making?

Reminds me of a quote (I am paraphrasing) ~ better to sit quietly and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's actually really informative to see threads like this one that show you first-hand just how far backwards people will bend in order to believe a non-existent criticism (and by that I mean a criticism a reasonable person would entertain and immediately reject) is valid.

If we can get 12 pages out of the obvious rationale for not punting last week (and I"m sorry, guys, but the rationale for that was completely obvious), how much more likely are people going to be about more-debatable topics like play calling or who ought to be getting snaps in what situations? It underscores how fruitless these discussions can be sometimes.

For my part, as long as we seem to be adding depth, and we have what looks like an actual contender on paper when everybody's healthy and in the lineup, I'm going to be happy with our direction. When we're losing talent faster than we can add it, or actually costing ourselves games with poor coaching decisions, that's what I'll reserve my concern for on the coaching front.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Garrett's first pick as a head coach was a LT. His 3rd pick was a RB. He has also spent 2 other 1st round picks on OL. I find it very hard to say that Garrett doesn't value the run. I also think in the first 3 years or so as HC, he was trying to win games with what was out there which was not a good OL especially a consistent running OL. So his game plans were focused on passing, because we had a HOF TE and a fair to average QB (ha ha, Tony is awesome) and they could be trusted more than the crappy OL we put out there. Once he felt we had the OL to be an effective and consistent run team, we became one. Got a pretty average running back paid like an elite one in the process. I think he has done a great job building the team from the talent voided one it was when he took over.

JG doesnt control the draft , the jones boys do, JG has input but that is it.
So to say JG built the line or drafted anyone, is not correct.
He does have a say, and it is a group effort IMO.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is a valid play to debate, it is hard to say either thing is the "right" thing to do.

Both choices have risk involved so either one could have led to a loss.

JG played it safe, which will work against miami with a 10 point lead most of the time.
But do that against GB, Carolina or other good offenses, and it might not work out so good.

To win all of the rest of these games, I think JG being bold will fare better than playing it safe.
If we had a better record right now, then safe would be ok, but they need to win all these games, and I dont think they will
playing it safe.

I do give JG credit for the early 4th down conversion at dallas 45, that was good, and it worked.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG doesnt control the draft , the jones boys do, JG has input but that is it.
So to say JG built the line or drafted anyone, is not correct.
He does have a say, and it is a group effort IMO.

He redid the scouting organization when he took over, and he's been the leading voice in juggling how they work with the coaches and, you can probably safely bet, who's getting promoted and who moved around or out in the scouting group, as well.
That's been pretty well documented at this point, based off of Garrett's long history with NFL scouting through his family and his familiarity with how it's worked previously with the Cowboys.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What's our pass/run ratio? What is the league average? Take into acct the personnel and/or throw out the highest and lowest values.