Can anyone tell me what Jason Garrett does to earn $6m per year?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not true at all. Belichick regularly goes over to the bench and lectures almost his entire defense at times when he thinks it's necessary. He's also at least talks to McDaniels about offense, even if he's not as actively involved with that side of the ball.
It's rare for him to do that. He pretty much stands on the sidelines and doesn't engage with the players. Tom Coughlin comes to mind as well. He mostly made a lot of pouty faces and looked stunned or incredulous on the sideline.

Something else to remember is most of the time the camera aims at the head coach it is while the game is going on, where he has to be watching. If the offense is on the field, the DC isn't concerned with watching the offense, and his job is to deal with the defense during that time, and it is the other way when the defense is on the field. The head coach stays on the sideline watching the game. And who really knows what goes on during timeouts, or in the locker room at halftime?

In the end, there are different coaching styles, and simply because the OC and DC are the ones primarily charged with directly dealing with their units on game days does not mean a head coach does nothing.

I'm not saying Garrett is particularly good at what he does, but I really see no reason to believe he isn't working hard and putting in the time and effort. I don't recall anyone ever accusing him of not doing that.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I've intently watched thousands of games over the years and observed every successful top NFL coach in action - engaged, emotional, tough, active, energetic, proactive, reactive.....the exact OPPOSITE PERSONALITY of what our loser JG portrays.

I'm truly AT A LOSS to begin to understand what the heck our HC even does!? How does he earn his $6 MILLION EVERY YEAR!?

Game Day: A lifeless, inactive, silent mannequin staring at the field.
Week BEFORE the Game: JG's supporters say he is NOT to blame for any bad game plan because he no longer has any responsibility for DC scheme or OC plan, right?

That accounts for all 7 days folks....can anyone here please tell me how JG justifiably collects $6 million a year?

He gets paid to be a puppet.

Easiest job ever.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett only does what Jerry allows him to do, which is very little.

JG was on that Jimmy Johnson team. He KNOWS how a good HC should act but unfortunately he does not possess the power to run his team like JJ did. The players on this team do not respect JG because they know that he can't send them to the asthma field and make it stick.

According to Dez, Garrett was the reason he was cut, not Jerry. And while Jimmy was a great coach, his style clearly is not the only way. Landry had a very different style, as does Belichick, as did Joe Gibbs (who was pretty mild mannered much like Garrett).

That's not to say Garrett's style is right, or even effective. I would have replaced him a few years ago if I had my choice. But not being like Jimmy is not really an argument. Lots of coaches are different than Jimmy, including some highly successful ones.

cml750

Reaction score
You need to rethink this.....

When Garrett was OC he received 2 offers after the 2007 season, from Baltimore and Atlanta if I remember correctly. He has not received a single offer since, not during the last 2.5 years as OC, and not a single offer since he made HC.

This BS about several teams wanting him is a load of crap. The only offers he received were in his rookie year as the OC and that's it. Baltimore and Atlanta can look back to 2007 and be happy clappy clap turned them down or their franchises would be in the same place Dallas is now.
I agree with everything you say(hence the like) but the part in bold. There is no way either franchise would keep him around for as long as Jerry has. He would have been gone after the second or third 8 - 8 season for making the same types of game/clock mismanagement calls every season. The clown will never be a head coach in the NFL ever again once Jerry comes to his senses.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In the end, there are different coaching styles, and simply because the OC and DC are the ones primarily charged with directly dealing with their units on game days does not mean a head coach does nothing.

I'm not saying Garrett is particularly good at what he does, but I really see no reason to believe he isn't working hard and putting in the time and effort. I don't recall anyone ever accusing him of not doing that.
One, it's not that rare for Belichick to do it. If Garrett did it, the cameras would catch it during timeouts just like they do with Belichick.

Two, I never said Garrett does nothing. As mentioned before, he has a very heavy hand in game planning early in the week when the offensive strategy is drawn up.

Three, who cares if he tries hard. This is the Dallas Cowboys, not Princeton or some high school. Go coach there if you want credit for trying hard.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One, it's not that rare for Belichick to do it. If Garrett did it, the cameras would catch it during timeouts just like they do with Belichick.

Two, I never said Garrett does nothing. As mentioned before, he has a very heavy hand in game planning early in the week when the offensive strategy is drawn up.

Three, who cares if he tries hard. This is the Dallas Cowboys, not Princeton or some high school. Go coach there if you want credit for trying hard.
I watch a lot of Patriot games, and I don't see Belichick doing this frequently like you claim.

If you said he is heavily involved during the week leading up to the game, it wasn't in the response to me, so I didn't see that. I suppose I assumed you were on board with the entirety of what the OP posted, so if I am incorrect on that I apologize.

As for him trying hard, the only reason I made that comment is because the original post indicated he doesn't do anything. I didn't say he was a good coach,and in fact, I said Garrett is not particularly good at his job. I was only referring to whether he does anything or not. Working at the job and effectiveness in the job are different topics

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
According to Dez, Garrett was the reason he was cut, not Jerry. And while Jimmy was a great coach, his style clearly is not the only way. Landry had a very different style, as does Belichick, as did Joe Gibbs (who was pretty mild mannered much like Garrett).

That's not to say Garrett's style is right, or even effective. I would have replaced him a few years ago if I had my choice. But not being like Jimmy is not really an argument. Lots of coaches are different than Jimmy, including some highly successful ones.

As far as Dez goes, you could be right. I doubt it was just "Hey Dez, clean out your locker." JG had to go before Jerry, genuflect, ask for permission to cut Dez, Jerry had to have a meeting with his administration, and THEN he allowed Jason to cut Dez. Not the same thing.

Also, I didn't say I want JG to be a clone of JJ, I would just like to know that he has the same level of power as JJ...and we KNOW that he does not.

And the players know it, too...

khiladi

Reaction score
Something behind the scenes, because it’s clearly not what the job per Head Coach actually entails.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As far as Dez goes, you could be right. I doubt it was just "Hey Dez, clean out your locker." JG had to go before Jerry, genuflect, ask for permission to cut Dez, Jerry had to have a meeting with his administration, and THEN he allowed Jason to cut Dez. Not the same thing.

Also, I didn't say I want JG to be a clone of JJ, I would just like to know that he has the same level of power as JJ...and we KNOW that he does not.

And the players know it, too...
Of course Jerry would have to agree. That's just part of Jerry being the owner. But, if what Dez believes happened is right, it means what Garrett wants carries at least some weight.

As for Garrett not having the same level of power as JJ, I agree completely with that. I just don't agree with the idea put forth in this thread that Garrett does nothing, or has no authority at all. We all know the GM/Owner controls things with the Cowboys in a way that is different than with other teams, but the team couldn't function at all without the head coach doing a lot of the same things other head coaches do. There has to be a central figure coordinating and interacting and approving. It wouldn't work if the coordinators were all just left on their own with no direction. That's not to say Garrett is great at doing these things. As I've said before, if I had the choice he would not still be the coach. But it's just plain nonsense to believe he has no say, and no authority and does nothing.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because its average HC salary, its how it works.. lots of overpaid players and coaches..and? *** do you care,,its not your money, and for sure you dont know how many hours or what he actually does all season..

10 hating posts on JG..it will not change a thing. Seriously whining venting, hope you feel better soon..

he has only had one losing season, since 2016 averages 10 winds season, two playoff appearances, a playoff run, and 2 division titles.

I know SB or bust, sure all 32 teams have that goal and only one gets to win each year.. regardless of post season success, hes still technically a winning coach..so if around 6mil is the going rate, thats what it is..

where the 32 lists of NFL coaching salaries?

on this incomplete list hes 9th so its not like hes ahead of a lot of the better coaches..
https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-coaches-nfl/

ICP

Reaction score
I still think he's one of Jerry Jones offspring, I can;t think of any other reason he's been around so long.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been driving me crazy for the last three weeks watching him stand there on the sidelines basically emotionless. He usually at least walks around or gestures or something.

However after seeing the players run buy him and ignore his hand slaps I finally realized what's different about this year.

He realizes he's lost the team, he has no control over what's going on out there. He realizes this will not end well, and he'll be gone, so IMO he just biding his time.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
He has a nasty stare.

giphy.gif

ondaedg

Reaction score
Firing JG puts JJ in a predicament of finding another coach who will coexist with him. That is why he pays him $6 mil.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I've intently watched thousands of games over the years and observed every successful top NFL coach in action - engaged, emotional, tough, active, energetic, proactive, reactive.....the exact OPPOSITE PERSONALITY of what our loser JG portrays.

I'm truly AT A LOSS to begin to understand what the heck our HC even does!? How does he earn his $6 MILLION EVERY YEAR!?

Week BEFORE the Game: JG's supporters say he is NOT to blame for any bad game plan because he no longer has any responsibility for DC scheme or OC plan, right?

That accounts for all 7 days folks....can anyone here please tell me how JG justifiably collects $6 million a year?

First of all, what a dumb question.

For your information, nobody makes a better training camp t-shirt than Garrett.

Secondly, you clearly don’t put value in the leadership and confidence Garrett exudes on gameday when he’s on the sidelines staring off into space; that trickles down to the players!

Lastly, Garrett demonstrates how to play/coach the game with class when he walks over cheesing and congratulating the opposing coach for kicking our teeth in. You can’t put a price on that buddy.

erod

Reaction score
He keeps Jerry from drafting Johnny Manziel and re-signing Andre Gurode and Keith Brooking when they're 38 years old.

DEMFAN

Reaction score

I think i would be more concerned about these under performing players as well though.