Can Josh Rosen slip in the draft like Rodgers did?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If Rosen slipped to 19 and the Cowboys passed I would stop being a Cowboys fan. I am already on the fence because the Cowboys didn't trade up for Wentz and I wanted him badly in the draft. The fact that the Eagles got him only makes it 10 times worse.

You do realize it takes both teams to agree to a trade. We can't just trade up if we want to, the other team has a say too. So in this scenario, who would you rather trade with, the guy that is only going to give 1 car for your pick or the guy that is going to give you 8 cars for your pick? No team going from 4 to 2 is going to give up the same things a team going from 8 to 2 would.. Cowboys had no shot at Wentz even if they want to move up and get him.

lk8701

Reaction score
You do realize it takes both teams to agree to a trade. We can't just trade up if we want to, the other team has a say too. So in this scenario, who would you rather trade with, the guy that is only going to give 1 car for your pick or the guy that is going to give you 8 cars for your pick? No team going from 4 to 2 is going to give up the same things a team going from 8 to 2 would.. Cowboys had no shot at Wentz even if they want to move up and get him.

The 4th pick is more valuable than the 8th pick. Plus the Browns could have traded down from the 4th pick for more picks if they were going after quantity.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The 4th pick is more valuable than the 8th pick. Plus the Browns could have traded down from the 4th pick for more picks if they were going after quantity.

Again, they had an offer from 1 team that netted them what they thought that pick was worth. Why would they want to try and hopefully find another team that would have to trade with to get the same value? Cowboys had no shot at the pick unless they were willing to give up with the Eagles gave up and the 4th pick.. which would have been extremely stupid to do.

lk8701

Reaction score
Again, they had an offer from 1 team that netted them what they thought that pick was worth. Why would they want to try and hopefully find another team that would have to trade with to get the same value? Cowboys had no shot at the pick unless they were willing to give up with the Eagles gave up and the 4th pick.. which would have been extremely stupid to do.

Not really. Many teams wanted Zeke in the draft. The Cowboys could have secured a deal to move down(gaining extra picks) then move back up by exceeding the Eagles offer(use the aforementioned extra picks). You do realize that the Eagles moved up from 13 to 8 using Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso. Then moved up from 8 to 2. If you really want something you will figure out a way to make it happen. The truth is the Cowboys gambled on an old and injury prone Romo playing for 4-5 more years.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Rosen slipped to 19 and the Cowboys passed I would stop being a Cowboys fan. I am already on the fence because the Cowboys didn't trade up for Wentz and I wanted him badly in the draft. The fact that the Eagles got him only makes it 10 times worse.
I didn't want Wentz but I have issues with your statement.

For one it takes 2 to make a trade. Rumors were Dallas inquired about moving up but didn't want to pay the price. Browns liked the eagles package better, you can't force another team to trade. To complain about the franchise not trading up is even more silly

lk8701

Reaction score
I didn't want Wentz but I have issues with your statement.

For one it takes 2 to make a trade. Rumors were Dallas inquired about moving up but didn't want to pay the price. Browns liked the eagles package better, you can't force another team to trade. To complain about the franchise not trading up is even more silly

Do you have a source about the Cowboys inquiring to move up? The Eagles moved up from 13 to 8 using Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso. Then moved up from 8 to 2. If you really want something you will figure out a way to make it happen. The Dolphins were reportedly interested in moving up for Zeke so we could have traded down from 4 to 8 before the draft and pick up additional picks. This move also would have prevented the Eagles from moving up from 13 to 8. We could have then traded up from 8 to 2 using the same package the Eagles gave up(it wouldn't be that bad since we would be using some of the Dolphins picks). The truth is the Cowboys gambled on an old and injury prone Romo playing for 4-5 more years.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Do you have a source about the Cowboys inquiring to move up? The Eagles moved up from 13 to 8 using Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso. Then moved up from 8 to 2. If you really want something you will figure out a way to make it happen. The Dolphins were reportedly interested in moving up for Zeke so we could have traded down from 4 to 8 before the draft and pick up additional picks. This move also would have prevented the Eagles from moving up from 13 to 8. We could have then traded up from 8 to 2 using the same package the Eagles gave up(it wouldn't be that bad since we would be using some of the Dolphins picks). The truth is the Cowboys gambled on an old and injury prone Romo playing for 4-5 more years.
It's going over your head. This isn't Madden, you have to have two to make a trade. Sure Dallas could have gave up a ton to get Wentz but it's up to the Browns to accept it. They went eagles, you can't force another team to trade.

lk8701

Reaction score
It's going over your head. This isn't Madden, you have to have two to make a trade. Sure Dallas could have gave up a ton to get Wentz but it's up to the Browns to accept it. They went eagles, you can't force another team to trade.

I don't think the Cowboys actually tried to trade up. That is the problem that I had with it.

lk8701

Reaction score
"The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles."

Honestly that wasn't that much. They should have paid the same amount. The Browns would take our offer since our picks were higher. It isn't complicated.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys actually tried to trade up. That is the problem that I had with it.
I don't think you know what you are talking about and looking for an excuse to bash the Cowboys. Wentz isn't some god that now we are ruin because we weren't able to get him. He still has a ton of issues the same as Dak. Difference is in coaching and defense giving him short fields to work with. Much easier to score front 25 or less yards then going the whole field.

The second half of the season for Dak was very similar to Wentz rookie year. Dak is a franchise QB with the right development but we didn't pay a fortune to get him and was able to add a blue chip player in Zeke.

lk8701

Reaction score
I don't think you know what you are talking about and looking for an excuse to bash the Cowboys. Wentz isn't some god that now we are ruin because we weren't able to get him. He still has a ton of issues the same as Dak. Difference is in coaching and defense giving him short fields to work with. Much easier to score front 25 or less yards then going the whole field.

The second half of the season for Dak was very similar to Wentz rookie year. Dak is a franchise QB with the right development but we didn't pay a fortune to get him and was able to add a blue chip player in Zeke.

Wentz is a much more physically gifted than Dak. Wentz is a blue chip QB. I would take a blue chip QB over a blue chip RB easily. "The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles." Even if we made the same exact trade we still could have used the compensatory 4th round pick on Jordan Howard instead of Dak.

Tristan

Reaction score
One of the main reasons why Rodgers slipped in the draft was because he came across as too arrogant in interviews. Can the same thing happen to Rosen who is also know as arrogant and rubs people the wrong way? If he slips to the Cowboys pick they have to pull the trigger.
NO

Pants

Reaction score
I have liked mayfield for a while and would not be upset (currently) if they took him with their first pick. I reserve my right to another opinion once I start putting together my spreadsheet for the draft.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I have liked mayfield for a while and would not be upset (currently) if they took him with their first pick. I reserve my right to another opinion once I start putting together my spreadsheet for the draft.
After what I just witnessed, no.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The Niners will give him an exclusive franchise tag so he won't be a free agent. Also there is no way he will accept 19-21 million a year.

Derek Carr signed a 5 year, $125,000,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including a $12,500,000 signing bonus, $70,200,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000.

Matthew Stafford signed a 5 year, $135,000,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $92,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $27,000,000.

That is the type of contract he will get. Supply and demand.

What has Garropolo done to deserve a $25m a year contract? It's absurd.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Wentz is a much more physically gifted than Dak. Wentz is a blue chip QB. I would take a blue chip QB over a blue chip RB easily. "The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles." Even if we made the same exact trade we still could have used the compensatory 4th round pick on Jordan Howard instead of Dak.
Stick to Madden

blindzebra

Reaction score
Not really. Many teams wanted Zeke in the draft. The Cowboys could have secured a deal to move down(gaining extra picks) then move back up by exceeding the Eagles offer(use the aforementioned extra picks). You do realize that the Eagles moved up from 13 to 8 using Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso. Then moved up from 8 to 2. If you really want something you will figure out a way to make it happen. The truth is the Cowboys gambled on an old and injury prone Romo playing for 4-5 more years.
The Eagles made that trade way before the draft to purge some of Chippers mistakes, Dallas at #4 was not going to be able to find a trade up partner for a RB a week before the draft, when the entire world was saying you can't draft a RB that high, and even if they did, whose to say our deal would have been better than PHIL? It is extremely possible we'd find ourselves missing out on Wentz, Zeke, Ramsey or anyone else top 5 when we already had a franchise QB and the cap tied into that, it is stupid.

DFWJC

Reaction score
One of the main reasons why Rodgers slipped in the draft was because he came across as too arrogant in interviews. Can the same thing happen to Rosen who is also know as arrogant and rubs people the wrong way? If he slips to the Cowboys pick they have to pull the trigger.
I don't think that's why Rodgers slipped.
People were skeptical of the Cal offense not being transferable. And then, like in some drafts, things started falling in unepected ways.

I heard by two different draft analysts on the radio today that a "few" teams have Rosen off their board.
I think if he comes out he goes at or near the top of the draft though.