Can Marcus Spears become another Reggie White?

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
Alexander;1386460 said:
He actually has a point, however.

White was barrel-chested and top heavy. So is Spears.

I mean, I think it is a natural comparison.;)

Hey, thanks for clearing that up for me. And to think I was about to place the genius that started this thread on ignore. I'd have missed all of his amazing insight.;)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The thing is... Reggie White wouldn't have been Reggie White if he had played in a 3-4 instead of a 4-3.

So... even if Spears by some miracle became as good as Reggie White (which he won't), his stats would never match White's because he plays 3-4 DE instead of 4-3 DE. A really good year, sackwise for a 3-4 DE is around 8 sacks. A real good year.

A good year, sackwise for a 4-3 DE is more like double that (16).

speedkilz88

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1386498 said:
The thing is... Reggie White wouldn't have been Reggie White if he had played in a 3-4 instead of a 4-3.

So... even if Spears by some miracle became as good as Reggie White (which he won't), his stats would never match White's because he plays 3-4 DE instead of 4-3 DE. A really good year, sackwise for a 3-4 DE is around 8 sacks. A real good year.

A good year, sackwise for a 4-3 DE is more like double that (16).
Bruce Smith is one of the all time pass rushers and he played in the Phillips 3-4. Reggie White could have done the same thing. So it is possible.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RealCowboyfan;1386129 said:
Thoughts? He reminded me of Reggie White when I was looking at his clips. I just want to hear yall thoughts.

I feel Wade Phillips could put him in position to be a feared sack artist.

Probably the dumbest question ever posed in the history of this forum.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sarge;1386521 said:
Probably the dumbest question ever posed in the history of this forum.
Are you ever going to take your Christmas tree down? It's almost March.

Lazy bum.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
how many years did white spend in the USFL? I will assume he lost about 10 sacks a year for every year he spent there.

BTW....ask Troy Aikman if Spears belongs in the same breath as Reggie White

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
People yall getting way in over yall heads assuming that I compared him to Reggie White. I was wondering if he could become that type of pass-rusher. Yall act like I said that Marcus Spears is going to become the next Reggie White.

Im very aware that Marcus Spears haven't been productive in Bill Parcells system but he did get alot of sacks at LSU so I figure hey with a coach that base his team off of Defensive Lineman getting to the Quarterback more than his linebackers, I figure since Spears have a back-ground at getting to the quarterback in college them skill could blossum in the NFL just like Reggie White's.

Some of his LSU clips reminded me of what Reggie White use to do, but I feel as if Parcells didn't get the most out of him.

proline

Reaction score
Physically, Spears is built a bit like White, and in his college clips his LSU uniform did look a little like the Green Bay white uni's. But that's the extent of it....

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
The Realist;1386167 said:
Reggie only had 31 sacks his first 2 years, so yes they are basically the same guy.

you know for having the name "the realist" you sure didn't make an analogy that made sense or was even close to being real

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1386579 said:
People yall getting way in over yall heads assuming that I compared him to Reggie White. I was wondering if he could become that type of pass-rusher. Yall act like I said that Marcus Spears is going to become the next Reggie White.

Im very aware that Marcus Spears haven't been productive in Bill Parcells system but he did get alot of sacks at LSU so I figure hey with a coach that base his team off of Defensive Lineman getting to the Quarterback more than his linebackers, I figure since Spears have a back-ground at getting to the quarterback in college them skill could blossum in the NFL just like Reggie White's.

Some of his LSU clips reminded me of what Reggie White use to do, but I feel as if Parcells didn't get the most out of him.

Just stop while you're still alive, it's been a total cruxifiction thus far!

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1386129 said:
Thoughts? He reminded me of Reggie White when I was looking at his clips. I just want to hear yall thoughts.

I feel Wade Phillips could put him in position to be a feared sack artist.

In short... No. I like Spears, but Reggie White? No way Jose.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Right now I think Spears has a better chance of being the next Kavika Pittman.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I believe Marcus Spears has alot of upside that haven't been brought out yet. But my only question is will he be more dominant as a one-gaped Defensive Tackle?