Can somebody help me understand the numbers on Zeke’s Contract?

jay94

Reaction score
I can’t remember an offseason where I’ve seen so many threads and comments with fans complaining about the contracts of our players. Christian McCafferty was just made the highest paid RB on the league off one great season and fans here applaud it but Zeke gets criticized for his deal despite consistent production his first 4 seasons.

Difference model citizen and didn't cry and hold out a year too soon. Also he has been a better player than Zeke with WAY less talent around him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Difference model citizen and didn't cry and hold out a year too soon. Also he has been a better player than Zeke with WAY less talent around him.

McCaffrey had no reason to hold out a year too soon because he never had a great season until last year and he has yet to lead the league in rushing. He had no leverage to hold out a year too soon off the production he had his first two seasons. He hasn’t been the workhorse that Zeke has been. He hasn’t come close to the amount of carries that Zeke has to be concerned with not ever seeing a second contract. Zeke led the NFL in rushing twice and would have led the league in rushing a third time had it not been for a suspension. I seriously doubt McCaffrety at his size will ever have as productive a season as he did last season. If Carolina attempts to pound him more at the RB position he’ll wear down.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
That is the only thing "team-friendly" about Zeke's contract. The dead money decreasing over the life of the contract happens for almost every contract.
I thought it was stupid to sign him but what do I know.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
CM held out after year 3 like Zeke

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I can’t remember an offseason where I’ve seen so many threads and comments with fans complaining about the contracts of our players. Christian McCafferty was just made the highest paid RB on the league off one great season and fans here applaud it but Zeke gets criticized for his deal despite consistent production his first 4 seasons.
Christian McCaffery had a 2400 yd season in total yds elliot was 17-1800.
elliot has gone downhill in perfomance since 2016.
he is still good but many just dont think he is worth what they are paying him,
and that the RB position could be filled cheaper.
it is all just opinions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Christian McCaffery had a 2400 yd season in total yds elliot was 17-1800.
elliot has gone downhill in perfomance since 2016.
he is still good but many just dont think he is worth what they are paying him,
and that the RB position could be filled cheaper.
it is all just opinions.

McCaffrety has had one big season which earned him a big contract. Zeke has consistently produced since his rookie year. He would’ve led the league in rushing three times had it not been for a suspension and his 77 receptions in 2018 set a franchise record for RBs. What’s gone downhill since 2016 has been our run blocking. Our OL isn’t what it was in 2016. Tyron and Zach have had injury issues. Frederick missed a year with a disease and wasn’t as good last season which led to him retiring. Plus Connor Williams has been inconsistent.

jay94

Reaction score
So many people equate volume with talent, he has had the best oline in football.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
What is the psychotic need to replace the RB, with, oh, I don't know, THE MOST RUSHING YARDS IN THE NFL since his selection in 2016???

Some of y'all need a new hobby or something. Instead of releasing Zeke, just think of the extension $$$ if he continues to outrush his contemporaries come 2022.

cowboyed

Reaction score
The numbers to the left of the decimal point are the big ones, and the numbers to the right of the decimal point are the smaller ones.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Can someone help me out with the numbers on Zeke’s contract and how some consider it a team friendly deal? I’ve been having a discussion with a Carolina Panthers fan since I live here in North Carolina. I’m pretty busy with work so I thought asking here was quickest way to find my answer.
If he is doing terrible after the first 4 years they can just cut him and make it a contract worth $12.5M AAV. Dead cap would be roughly the cost of another half-season. That's not going to bust any NFL budget.

McCaffery's deal is way more team-brutal. The first 2 seasons are similar to Zeke's deal but then the contract accelerates from there. The 3rd and 4th years of his contract will cost the Panthers a combined $32.6M and if they cut him after the 4th season the dead cap is more than double what Zeke's is after 4 seasons.