CFZ Can't wait to be dazzled by this coming offseason

Sydla

Reaction score
This morning, on the way to work, I did what I always did and started thinking about what we could do this offseason in terms of FA/trades to fix some of our issues. I should know better than to waste my time on this exercise. Jerry and his bozo son will nickle and dime their way through FA, largely ignore DT yet again and maybe kind of half *** it at WR again convincing themselves that Tolbert will be fine and they don't need much beyond maybe another James Washington type signing. They will then try to impress us with talk of how the draft will fill all their holes.

But I am bored so here we go.

- Elliott has to go. Even if he takes a pay cut, his cap hit next year will be in the $8ish million range. That's absurd for what we get from him. Yeah, I know, Stephen went on that stupid diatribe about how important he is and how he's apparently more vital than Pollard. Don't be dumb Stephen. Use your freaking eyes. And this draft is long on talent at TB in those middle rounds. Be smart Stephen, geezus.

- Unfortunately, Schultz has to go. He's good. But this league pays good players oodles of money in FA. He's going to get upper level TE money and frankly, he's not a difference maker at TE like a Kelce or Kittle or Goedert.

- Pollard is an interesting case. I'd like him back. He and his agent are going to want to get paid. But he's coming off an injury. I don't necessarily like the idea of it, but tagging him is probably what will happen.

- LVE should be back IMO. For all the guff I've given him, when he was on the field the run D was better than when he was not. With LVE, it kind of stabilizes things a bit and you don't have to go chasing a LB early in the draft if one isn't there.

- I am a dead horse beater on DT. What they keep doing at DT is mindnumbing. It likely won't change but shoot, this is a year to try to shore it up. Payne is the prize but there are other options that could be cheaper. Tomlinson is a name I'd love to add. Down a peg is a guy like Fletcher Cox who could be a casualty in Philly. Sheldon Rankins is out there too.

- They need a vet CB. I think Bland should stay inside where he played well this year for a rookie. Brown is a FA and frankly I am not sure I want to go with him coming off that injury. There will be options out there. Shoot, the Eagles picked up Bradberry late in FA and all he did was play at an All Pro level.

- Unfortunately, WR is kind of a wasteland in FA unless there are some surprise cuts. DJ Chark might be interesting. Sterling Shepard wouldn't be terrible but I have no idea what he would cost. But that's about it. JuJu? Sure but I can't see KC letting him walk. They really need Tolbert to step up. I still think Gallup will be fine more than a year removed from his injury. If you could come out of the draft with a guy like Hyatt from Tennessee or Flowers from BC, WR should be improved.

- McGovern is an interesting case too. He wasn't great. He wasn't bad. If he's cheap, I'd bring him back. Steele is out for a part of the season so you could roll with the two Smiths at OT and McGovern at LG until Steele is back and then you could flip Tyler back inside until Tyron inevitably gets hurt again. That being said, I could go OL in the first round of the draft too. The Jones kid from UGA is a bit OT who could give you that flexibility to move Tyler inside. And Torrence from UF is a pure guard that could be a mauler at LG. The OL has to be stabilized next year.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Build up both trenches until we can get rid of Dak and his bloated contract. Goodbye Zeke, Schultz and Pollard. Running back is the easiest position to fill in the draft or off the FA streets. I'm ok with LVE on a reasonable deal.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
razzle-dazzle-memes-salt-man-add-a-little-razzle-dazzle.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
Build up both trenches until we can get rid of Dak and his bloated contract. Goodbye Zeke, Schultz and Pollard. Running back is the easiest position to fill in the draft or off the FA streets. I'm ok with LVE on a reasonable deal.
I don't think there is anyway they let both Pollard and Schultz go. I think the emphasis is going to be giving Dak more weapons around him. Schultz, while not elite, is a pretty big part of the offense and Pollard is a big time playmaker. Removing both of them is a pretty big drain. And with FA WR being so bleak, it's not like they can just overload at WR to compensate.

I say get rid of Elliott. Bring Pollard back. Maybe add a vet TB (there will be good cheap ones out there). Then take one of those TBs in the middle rounds like McIntosh from UGA or Spears from Tulane or Evans from Ole Miss.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Schultz needs to go away...liability in blocking and limited in athletic ability. Dremont Jones is also available to play DT, Payne is the prize but I doubt the Commanders let him walk. Corner should be addressed in the draft and in the early rounds. Zeke needs to go as well, luckily this draft is filled with studs at the RB position. WR we sign will be OBJ more than likely but I'd love to possibly sign Michael Thomas or explore a trade for Hopkins.

Sydla

Reaction score
Schultz needs to go away...liability in blocking and limited in athletic ability. Dremont Jones is also available to play DT, Payne is the prize but I doubt the Commanders let him walk. Corner should be addressed in the draft and in the early rounds. Zeke needs to go as well, luckily this draft is filled with studs at the RB position. WR we sign will be OBJ more than likely but I'd love to possibly sign Michael Thomas or explore a trade for Hopkins.
This is common sense to anyone.

Except the two guys in charge. Listening to Stephen hype Elliott while kind of downplaying Pollard was just embarrassing and depressing last year. These guys always tip their hands and that was a sure sign they are going to bring Elliott.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Dazzled will be the word, how many times will we get played this off season by players being linked to us only to sign with another team

Sydla

Reaction score
Dazzled will be the word, how many times will we get played this off season by players being linked to us only to sign with another team
We aren't getting played. I have little doubt the front office leaks our name to associate with some players to make it look like they are involved when in fact, unless that player just has a desire to play in Dallas on the cheap, they have no intention of signing.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
3 best moves Dallas can make:

1. Extend Dak. He’s your longterm QB, you’re not moving off from him anytime soon. Once you accept this reality, extending him now makes much more sense than restructuring him and then just extending next offseason. Huge cap windfall, would free up 23m$ in cap space.

2. Extend Trayvon Diggs. Likely price: 5 years 110m$, 8m$ 2023 cap hit

3. Sign Yannick Ngakoue. Always build to your strengths: Give Micah breathing room to return to the player he used to be. Quinn wasn’t just playing Micah too much at DE to try and get him sacks, he did it because he had to based on your personnel. DLaw just isn’t the pass rush force he used to be. Dorance Armstrong benefited from Micah playing on the line, but completely fell off when Micah moved back to OLB; in the last 11 games he had 3.5 total sacks. Because he bottomed out like that, he started the season with 5 sacks in 6 games and still couldn’t hit double digit. He’s a good asset to have, but not consistently reliable… particularly if Micah is played in his best role.

Here’s one of the craziest statlines I bet no one here is aware of: Yannick has been in the nfl for 7 years. He’s already played on 4 different teams, for 5 different defensive schemes. He has never had a season with less than 8 sacks! He’s unbelievably underrated. At 27 years old he already has 65 career sacks, and you probably won’t need to pay him anything close to top market price for DE. He likely goes for Haason Reddick money. Yannick also has 21 forced fumbles already through his career. That’s 3 strip sacks a season, on average. He’s a monster and would fix all kinds of problems Dallas had last year.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Enjoyed reading it.

I agree with most of it. Zeke is done. He has to go, even at the vet minimum, I think we can find a better #2 back in the 3rd or 4th round. If he stays, I think it's just another confirmation that Jerry is thinking with his heart, which is not a good quality for a GM.
Pollard + young guy is the way to go. This is a great year to be getting accumulating RBs. I think Pollard will be cheaper than the tag for that reason.

I think Schultz is gone, and we will hardly miss him. The young guys have more potential talent, especially Ferguson.

I think WR #2 is a big-time priority this offseason. Hopefully, Gallup is healthier, but hope is not a good plan. I think we will either see an FA signing, a trade or a high draft pick. As you mentioned, not a great market for WR FA, so a trade or a high pick might be the way to go.

I agree with you on DT. I am hoping Quinn will be able to convince Jerry we need, at the very least, a young, dominant big man next to Osa.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Enjoyed reading it.

I agree with most of it. Zeke is done. He has to go, even at the vet minimum, I think we can find a better #2 back in the 3rd or 4th round. If he stays, I think it's just another confirmation that Jerry is thinking with his heart, which is not a good quality for a GM.
Pollard + young guy is the way to go. This is a great year to be getting accumulating RBs. I think Pollard will be cheaper than the tag for that reason.

I think Schultz is gone, and we will hardly miss him. The young guys have more potential talent, especially Ferguson.

I think WR #2 is a big-time priority this offseason. Hopefully, Gallup is healthier, but hope is not a good plan. I think we will either see an FA signing, a trade or a high draft pick. As you mentioned, not a great market for WR FA, so a trade or a high pick might be the way to go.

I agree with you on DT. I am hoping Quinn will be able to convince Jerry we need, at the very least, a young, dominant big man next to Osa.
Trading another #1 pick for a WR seems less than ideal. But who knows what they are thinking at this point.

I mean getting Hopkins would be awesome but that seems unrealistic.

Sydla

Reaction score
Cut Elliot.

Do not tag Pollard.

For the love of God stop putting resources into the TB position outside of a late mid round pick semi-annually.
Just wait until they use the 26th pick to take Robinson or Gibbs. And they will pair that guy with Elliott.

You know it's coming.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Trading another #1 pick for a WR seems less than ideal. But who knows what they are thinking at this point.

I mean getting Hopkins would be awesome but that seems unrealistic.
I am hoping it wouldn't be a #1 pick Brandin Cooks might be a possibility or Micheal Thomas for less than a first-rounder.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Just wait until they use the 26th pick to take Robinson or Gibbs. And they will pair that guy with Elliott.

You know it's coming.
Yeah stupid. But our board could at least be more rational not that we influence anything. Just yelling at the sky.