Can the anti-Dez scheme be replicated week to week?

mmohican29

Reaction score
What did NYG do that neutralized our O's explosive nature... if Dez was drawing so much coverage, why were Miles and Jason fairly tamed as well? YPC was wayyyy down. Jason had 18 grabs in last meeting.

Happy with the win but Dez is supposed to dominate. That was a meek offensive performance by all parties involved. Is it easily countered? Can't look forward to outings like last nights and feel confident we can scare people.

30+ Boldin schooled the GB secondary with really only Davis as a viable option. Why can't we get the ball to the best player on the field?

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
I think we need to try dez in the slot to try to neutralize that type of coverage. Maybe use the bunch formation a couple of times.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Early in the season especially, the Cowboys have games in which they aren't sharp offensively. We should count ourselves fortunate Romo didn't throw the multitude of picks he's prone to such games.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
What did NYG do that neutralized our O's explosive nature... if Dez was drawing so much coverage, why were Miles and Jason fairly tamed as well? YPC was wayyyy down. Jason had 18 grabs in last meeting.

Happy with the win but Dez is supposed to dominate. That was a meek offensive performance by all parties involved. Is it easily countered? Can't look forward to outings like last nights and feel confident we can scare people.

30+ Boldin schooled the GB secondary with really only Davis as a viable option. Why can't we get the ball to the best player on the field?

Romo COULD have forced the ball in there and gotten lucky like Kaepernick did a bunch to Boldin. Then people would complain about his decision making.

OR he could find wide open Miles and Terrence Williams. Williams will be better going forward.

GB's secondary is abysmal. Guarantee Boldin doesn't do that to the Seahawks. They also won't lose him and leave him wide open on 4th and 2.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I think we need to try dez in the slot to try to neutralize that type of coverage. Maybe use the bunch formation a couple of times.

The biggest problem we have with Dez is we can't really move him around like, for instance, a Larry Fitz. Dez will have to run the complete route tree, and be able to adapt to every position on the field to truly become the WR we all know he is capable of being.

That being said, we need guys like TWill to step up when they put so much coverage on Dez. Forcing it to Dez isn't the answer, Romo took what the D gave him, and won the game.

It was a positive step for Romo to not take the big risk and for Dez to not act like a crybaby for not getting the ball.....it was a great thing to see.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It better not be able to.

I'm pretty sure AJ Green is on most teams radar and he still kills it.

Victor Cruz wasn't on Dallas' radar last night?

It's the chess game. Teams work to take away certain players, offenses have to work to overcome it. Dallas didn't get the job done in that regard. There were 2 and sometimes 3 guys flooding to Dez. There is no excuse for not having an answer when you're playing essentially 8 on 10 outside of Dez and his three defenders.

If other teams can replicated it to the same extent the Giants did it will be long season.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I think everyone is overlooking how much Romo was hurt after that hit to his ribs. It changed the way the Cowboys attacked the entire second half.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think everyone is overlooking how much Romo was hurt after that hit to his ribs. It changed the way the Cowboys attacked the entire second half.

What about before that?

It was just before half so they had an entire half of not getting it done. Also, Witten didn't seem to take a hit because of Romo's ribs.

The Giants shut him down, simple as that. If it is going to happen then the other WRs on the team should be slaughtering them with 1 on 1 coverage all day.

Staubacher

Reaction score
What about before that?

It was just before half so they had an entire half of not getting it done. Also, Witten didn't seem to take a hit because of Romo's ribs.

The Giants shut him down, simple as that. If it is going to happen then the other WRs on the team should be slaughtering them with 1 on 1 coverage all day.

Austin and Witten killed the Giants precisely because of the focus on Dez.

Seriously what game did you watch?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The way to prevent that is for others on offense to step up. A couple passes towards Williams that were incomplete.

We went deep to Williams twice, and there was also the botched redzone pass. Williams' jobs is to take the top off the defense, and he wasn't able to do that here.

The other factor is running the ball better than we did. I also think it would help to have Beasley out there. He is a 1st down maker in intermediate routes from the slot. We also have to better utilize the 2nd tight ends.

All these things should transpire after we continue to improve the offensive line.

Zman5

Reaction score
If they are going to play him man with help on top, just start using the bunch formation.

Many offenses uses this formation to help the WR have a free release. I don't know why we don't.

blackbull

Reaction score
The way to prevent that is for others on offense to step up. A couple passes towards Williams that were incomplete.

We went deep to Williams twice, and there was also the botched redzone pass. Williams' jobs is to take the top off the defense, and he wasn't able to do that here.

The other factor is running the ball better than we did. I also think it would help to have Beasley out there. He is a 1st down maker in intermediate routes from the slot. We also have to better utilize the 2nd tight ends.

All these things should transpire after we continue to improve the offensive line.

Always about Williams and Beasley with you. Talk about agendas.

blackbull

Reaction score
If they are going to play him man with help on top, just start using the bunch formation.

Many offenses uses this formation to help the WR have a free release. I don't know why we don't.

Garrett offense isn't creative enough. Falcons do bunch formations so much it's ridiculous.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If other teams can do the things the Giants did, and then also keep us from doing the things we did against the Giants, then it will indeed be a long season. I'll take my chances that they can't do both those things with any regularity.

On top of rolling the coverage to Dez and taking away the slants by dripping their backers into his zones, the Giants did a fantastic job of tackling our secondary receivers in space. They also had sufficient DL depth to keep our running game in check and, without Dunbar, we were missing a weapon on those off-tackle runs that had been so successful for us in the preseason.

Most weeks, we'll make them pay a higher price for covering Dez that way. And, had Romo not been hurt there in the third, we still managed to get him open deep downfield against that coverage. Sooner or later, he's going to start getting his catches.

loublue22

Reaction score
If other teams can do the things the Giants did, and then also keep us from doing the things we did against the Giants, then it will indeed be a long season. I'll take my chances that they can't do both those things with any regularity.

On top of rolling the coverage to Dez and taking away the slants by dripping their backers into his zones, the Giants did a fantastic job of tackling our secondary receivers in space. They also had sufficient DL depth to keep our running game in check and, without Dunbar, we were missing a weapon on those off-tackle runs that had been so successful for us in the preseason.

Most weeks, we'll make them pay a higher price for covering Dez that way. And, had Romo not been hurt there in the third, we still managed to get him open deep downfield against that coverage. Sooner or later, he's going to start getting his catches.

Agreed, I was very impressed with their tackling.

Ren

Reaction score

Just run him on crossing routes the safety over the top can't come down to help out without leaving a huge hole deep

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Always about Williams and Beasley with you. Talk about agendas.

Not sure where you're getting that. I don't talk about Beasley or Williams any more than any other players who have the upside to put our team over the top.

I talk about Escobar, I talk about Frederick and Leary. Hell I would talk about Coale and Johnson if they could stay healthy.

I think the only thing that bugs you is the fact that I don't see Harris as a great receiving option. He had a great day for us in special teams packages, and I'm glad he did. That being said, he didn't do anything as a wide receiver. Fact is, he isn't a better option than Williams outside, nor is he a better option than Beasley in the slot.

He doesn't fit anywhere in a best 11 package.

morasp

Reaction score
Early in the season especially, the Cowboys have games in which they aren't sharp offensively. We should count ourselves fortunate Romo didn't throw the multitude of picks he's prone to such games.

You can say that again. Three turnovers and three points. That's a terrible average.

visionary

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting that. I don't talk about Beasley or Williams any more than any other players who have the upside to put our team over the top.

I talk about Escobar, I talk about Frederick and Leary. Hell I would talk about Coale and Johnson if they could stay healthy.

I think the only thing that bugs you is the fact that I don't see Harris as a great receiving option. He had a great day for us in special teams packages, and I'm glad he did. That being said, he didn't do anything as a wide receiver. Fact is, he isn't a better option than Williams outside, nor is he a better option than Beasley in the slot.

He doesn't fit anywhere in a best 11 package.

It is real simple, it comes down to the ability of the opposing defense to feel confident in stopping our run game with their front 4, leaving their secondary and even some LBs to flood zones behind the DL.

i have read a lot of statistics on this board telling us how the run game is not important but the reality is that it is extremely important, there is a reason every single coach and player says that we have to run the ball and stop the run
if the run game was not important NFL teams would stop drafting RBs
having an effective running game and a legitimate threat to run the ball on any down is critical to being able to pass effectively. when the opposition has to put 8 in the box to stop the run, it opens up passing lanes behind it. this is why boldin had the day he did, because SF has a real credible run game.

watch how often we run the ball when it is 3rd and 3-4 yards.
very infrequently, becasue we ourselves dont believe in our run game. that makes us one dimentional and the opposition knows it. this is why we struggle in short yardage and red zone offense.

Smith22

Reaction score
1) Hopefully Waters works his way into the lineup, opening more holes for the running game

2) Over time, Miles and Witten should be able to take advantage of the 1 vs 1 opportunities.

3) Williams, Beasly, etc.. need to step up as the #3 and make some plays.

4) Motion Dez around and/or line him up in the slot.