Can the anti-Dez scheme be replicated week to week?

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Where is this Dez was a decoy stuff coming from? He wasn't a decoy. There were times Sunday night that I saw three Giant defenders surrounding Dez. We was in constant double and triple team coverage which is why Romo wasn't going to force stuff to him. He played it smart used his other weapons, namely Austin and Witten. I think that's a good thing, certainly better than watching Romo throw into triple coverage and being picked off.

As for Williams, yes, it would be nice if he develops quickly, but right now he's not pressuring the secondary. I think if Harris had played more the other night, we would have seen a few more big plays, not because Harris is a big play guy, but he's definitely more polished than Williams and would have, I think, forced the Giants to pay more attention to him, perhaps giving Dez a couple of opportunities.

Jerry Jones, I believe, recently stated that Harris will play more going into week 2, probably because they see the same thing. Harris, Austin and Witten can pull more coverage off of Dez at this point than Williams, Austin and Witten.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Where is this Dez was a decoy stuff coming from? He wasn't a decoy. There were times Sunday night that I saw three Giant defenders surrounding Dez. We was in constant double and triple team coverage which is why Romo wasn't going to force stuff to him. He played it smart used his other weapons, namely Austin and Witten. I think that's a good thing, certainly better than watching Romo throw into triple coverage and being picked off.

Good call on the term "decoy". I don't think anyone actually thinks he was just used as a decoy but for lack of a better term, that is what is being used. Essentially, he kept 2 or 3 defenders busy while Witten and Miles did their thing.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Good call on the term "decoy". I don't think anyone actually thinks he was just used as a decoy but for lack of a better term, that is what is being used. Essentially, he kept 2 or 3 defenders busy while Witten and Miles did their thing.
That's true. And that's going to happen sometimes, even to the best of them. Look at Calvin Johnson against Minnesota. He was double teamed all day and basically taken out of the game. But the result was the same. Minnesota lost. You do that against an offense with several weapons, and you're just asking to lose. I guarantee you that another team is going to try the same thing, but this time it won't be Witten for two TDs. It'll be Witten for two, Austin for two, and Murray for a score on a reception.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I think we need to try dez in the slot to try to neutralize that type of coverage. Maybe use the bunch formation a couple of times.

This! We need to move him around and force the defenses hand. If we're in the red zone we should still go to Dez. I'd gamble on a fade route to him vs anything else.

30yrheel

Reaction score
Teams have played us this way for years. Is it romo, garret or both?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
There's zero excuse for a player as talented as Dez to be iced out of your offense. This happened in year 2 and the first half of year 3. It wasn't that a lightbulb went off for Dez the end of last year, they just finally started feeding him the ball.

We won and that's great, but we're a totally different offense when 88 is involved... Figure it out Romo/JG/Callahan.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Brilliant ideas, have your star WR be a decoy the rest of the season! Great game planning.

I am reasonably sure that Jason Garrett has noted your objectufications.

Not that Dez needs to be a decoy the rest of the season, just that for this game, it worked. And it worked because Austin showed up big time and Witten was his usual workmanlike TE. Two TDs as I recall. And that ain't bad.

So don't be a stick in the butter and just accept the mystery.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
There's zero excuse for a player as talented as Dez to be iced out of your offense. This happened in year 2 and the first half of year 3. It wasn't that a lightbulb went off for Dez the end of last year, they just finally started feeding him the ball.

We won and that's great, but we're a totally different offense when 88 is involved... Figure it out Romo/JG/Callahan.

Yes, just force the ball to Dez. That always works out well for Romo.

For Pete's sake (who tha heck is this pete, anyway), be happy we won and that Dez did not get overworked and that Austin and Witten took up the slack. It just shows that we are balanced and we can depend on others than all-world Dez. The only objectufication I half is Williams really does not seem ready to get play time. Let he watch and learn and then see what he can do. I don't like forcing young'uns into the action, see them stumble and then they are more self-conscious.

Be kind and let him unwind on the sidelines for now.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It's very sad that you have to depend on a 3rd round rookie WR for your offense to be elite. If that's the case, that proves my point that JG's offense is stale and unimaginative and should be flushed down the toilet.
It's true for any offense, you have to be able to take advantage of what the defense is giving you. A guy like Williams will have opportunities to make defenses pay for all the attention Dez is getting. If he can do that, Dez will see more opportunities himself.

That's not sad, it's called having multiple weapons, and it's what every teams wants.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
The biggest problem we have with Dez is we can't really move him around like, for instance, a Larry Fitz. Dez will have to run the complete route tree

I am not saying we need to do it frequently but we need to mix it up. We run such a plain offense and it's frustrating.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Chiefs got some good cover guys but we have too move Dez around so we can get a mismatch somewhere. Don't think he will have a game like he had against the giants.

superonyx

Reaction score
It better not be able to.

I'm pretty sure AJ Green is on most teams radar and he still kills it.

Victor Cruz wasn't on Dallas' radar last night?

It's the chess game. Teams work to take away certain players, offenses have to work to overcome it. Dallas didn't get the job done in that regard. There were 2 and sometimes 3 guys flooding to Dez. There is no excuse for not having an answer when you're playing essentially 8 on 10 outside of Dez and his three defenders.

If other teams can replicated it to the same extent the Giants did it will be long season.

Aj green had 5 games last season where he only had 50 yards or less. One was against us btw...so even he can be taken out of the game.

Victor Cruz wasn't on our radar in the same way as Dez was on the giants radar. Why? Because the giants have more than just Cruz. Once we show that Austin will beat you again then it will change.

I hope..haha

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Aj green had 5 games last season where he only had 50 yards or less. One was against us btw...so even he can be taken out of the game.

Victor Cruz wasn't on our radar in the same way as Dez was on the giants radar. Why? Because the giants have more than just Cruz. Once we show that Austin will beat you again then it will change.

I hope..haha

Green dropped several passes against us last year.

Zman5

Reaction score
It's true for any offense, you have to be able to take advantage of what the defense is giving you. A guy like Williams will have opportunities to make defenses pay for all the attention Dez is getting. If he can do that, Dez will see more opportunities himself.

That's not sad, it's called having multiple weapons, and it's what every teams wants.

I understand what you are saying and I agree you need multiple weapons but how bad does your offense have to be that you can't get your star receivers open and have to depend on a 3rd round roookie for your offense to be elite?

That is sad. Did you see how the Saints' offense didn't miss a beat?

Mind_Liberator

Andrei Kostitsyn
Reaction score
For what its worth I'm re-watching the game right now and in the first series alone I seen dez open in single coverage on a fade from the slot and a slant on the right side. Romo never looked at him, went to Murray both times.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Austin and Witten killed the Giants precisely because of the focus on Dez.

Seriously what game did you watch?

10 receptions for 70 some odd yards for Miles is no way killing them. The Giants were willing to give that up all night. And we took it. 7yds per reception is nothing to write home about.

For the most part, the Giants held our offense in check. We did not break off any huge runs or any huge pass plays. It was the 2 defensive touchdowns we got that pretty much sealed their fate. I thought they moved the ball more efficiently than we did and connected on big plays.