Can the Cowboys force Dak to ask for a trade?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I don’t think they’re that calculated. I think they just didn’t feel like re-signing anyone and want to simplify things with rookie contracts replacing veterans. Plus with rookies there’s always the hope of growth.

Overshown, deuce, Tolbert, bass etc. they can sell the fans on growth from young guys.

But anyways if they start sending out vibes that they don’t want to re-sign dak. Wouldn’t he just openly ask to be traded? To just start fresh. He’s a good player in a bad situation. The fans don’t want to hear “well get em next time” anymore.

You get bombed off the field by our biggest rivals . That isn’t fun to watch y’all crumble. It’s sad and stressful.

So what if we get like a second and 5th round draft pick from someone? Raiders or Vikings it seems are possibilities. That pick turns into a first if he makes all pro or something.

The cowboys then start the year with trey lance and like a micheal penix or bo nix type to compete.

Does that seem like a more fun season for everyone? No more pressure for Dak. He gets paid by the raiders. The cowboys get a few picks to grow the roster out with young running backs receiver and tight ends

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think they’re that calculated. I think they just didn’t feel like re-signing anyone and want to simplify things with rookie contracts replacing veterans. Plus with rookies there’s always the hope of growth.

Overshown, deuce, Tolbert, bass etc. they can sell the fans on growth from young guys.

But anyways if they start sending out vibes that they don’t want to re-sign dak. Wouldn’t he just openly ask to be traded? To just start fresh. He’s a good player in a bad situation. The fans don’t want to hear “well get em next time” anymore.

You get bombed off the field by our biggest rivals . That isn’t fun to watch y’all crumble. It’s sad and stressful.

So what if we get like a second and 5th round draft pick from someone? Raiders or Vikings it seems are possibilities. That pick turns into a first if he makes all pro or something.

The cowboys then start the year with trey lance and like a micheal penix or bo nix type to compete.

Does that seem like a more fun season for everyone? No more pressure for Dak. He gets paid by the raiders. The cowboys get a few picks to grow the roster out with young running backs receiver and tight ends
Why would Dak ok a trade? The time to trade him is over. He will be a free agent next year just edit for his services.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Actually I hope that the Giants trade with the Cardinals and take JJ McCarthy. I think Chargers take Alt for a LT leaving Cardinals with Harrison at WR. Then I think Denver very well could trade with Atlanta or Tennessee or Chicago (9th pick) to move up and take either Nix or Penix because they definitely need a QB and they can't afford to move up much to get one. That would leave both Minnesota and Las Vegas needing either to draft Nix or Penix (whichever Denver didn't take) or make a trade for a QB.

Both teams seem to believe that they are a QB away from the playoffs and Vikings have a much better team with Dak instead of a rookie. He could bring a nice haul of picks to get in the draft.

Of course it all depends on where Dak would prefer to go and would they meet his contract demands.

It all seems crazy but with Jerry not resigning the big three of Lamb, Parsons, and Prescott, maybe he is just going to reset and jettison them all.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No they can't. They can only try to persuade him into waiving his no trade clause.

And Dak knows the best place for him financially (endorsements) is in Dallas.
That’s all true BD. But if I was Dak I would absolutely be asking for a trade. He may not make as much with endorsements somewhere else but IMO he’s in a terrible position in Dallas for his career. Going somewhere else would give a reset for his career.

Why is he in a terrible position? Because unless he leads the team to at least an NFC championship game in Dallas he will be seen (fair or not) as incapable of getting it done. If he goes to another team he would have at least for a while a fresh start.

If I was Dak, I would be pushing hard for a trade.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Why would Dak ok a trade? The time to trade him is over. He will be a free agent next year just edit for his services.
Because any trade would be contingent on Dak getting an extension contract this year for probably around $60 million a year for 4 or 5 years instead of playing out the year with the Cowboys where he could get injured or just have a bad year and his demands really go down.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

well, If I am dak, I wouldn't want to just go anywhere. so I will say no if you want to trade me to lets say Chicago....just as an example.
then I would also want a new contract. so is the trade partner willing to negotiate before.
third, the trading partner has to agree to the compensation. if I am lets say Chicago, why would I pay a lot for Dak if there is no negotiated extension. how much would you be willing to pay for a QB who will be a FA in one season? so if anything a team that feels they are close and ready might make that trade.

so its not that easy for the team to force a trade. it has to be the perfect storm. doubt it will happen at this point.

this is not Joneses call at all. Dak and his agent hold all the cards.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The only way the Cowboys could really force Dak into a trade is by giving Lance an extension and making him the starting QB.

visionary

Reaction score
The Joneses dont have the cojones to do it but if they tell Dak hes not playing this season and Cowboys are planning to play other QBs, you bet he will want a trade

This is why i had said that a prenegotiated trade with Raiders makes sense for both sides, theyre in Vegas, the Raiders brand is huge and they are not going to get one of the top 4 or even 5 QBs in the draft

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because any trade would be contingent on Dak getting an extension contract this year for probably around $60 million a year for 4 or 5 years instead of playing out the year with the Cowboys where he could get injured or just have a bad year and his demands really go down.
He literally got hurt last time and got a big contract. He’s stated he’s willing to bet on himself…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Joneses dont have the cojones to do it but if they tell Dak hes not playing this season and Cowboys are planning to play other QBs, you bet he will want a trade

This is why i had said that a prenegotiated trade with Raiders makes sense for both sides, theyre in Vegas, the Raiders brand is huge and they are not going to get one of the top 4 or even 5 QBs in the draft
Sitting out this year would be the best thing for Dak’s career.

One he doesn’t get hurt.
His value increases or stays the same.
Sits out and gets to chose the team he wants to go to.
He doesn’t have to play for a team lacking as many holes as they have.

The best news for him is if they bench him…..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He literally got hurt last time and got a big contract. He’s stated he’s willing to bet on himself…..
Yeah the only way Daks value goes way down is an even more severe injury than the 2020 one which are extremely rare, or he just completely implodes 2022 Russel Wilson style. Honestly Dak should have almost zero fear in waiting out his current contract.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Raiders appear to be set up to draft a rookie who won’t be thrown into the fire immediately.

The Vikings are a possibility but are probably resolved to a bit of a rebuild.

I don’t think either one of those teams, or anyone else for that matter, would give up much in terms of draft capital for one year of Prescott, when they aren’t ready to win yet anyway….and there’s no guarantee he steps in seamlessly.

It’s not at all about his ability, but the idea that he would fetch all kinds of premium draft capital isn’t accurate. Dallas is better off just keeping him, even if it’s only about the remote chance that he gives them the discount they are looking for.

I’m fine with moving on, but if he will take something like 4-180 (45 per, and guarantee most of it for the discount), it’s probably better than the alternative.

Don’t forget that if Lance somehow gets into games and proves to be a viable option, he won’t be cheap either.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah the only way Daks value goes way down is an even more severe injury than the 2020 one which are extremely rare, or he just completely implodes 2022 Russel Wilson style. Honestly Dak should have almost zero fear in waiting out his current contract.
I agree and that’s why he’s willing to bet on Jameel. There’s minimal risk.

slick325

Reaction score
The teams total inactivity following a devastating WC round playoff loss (following coming into the playoffs as the 2 seed) coupled with the GM saying they will need to "win with less", may make Prescott consider seeking a trade. I know I would. Lol

Plus, the team hasn't had any talks with Prescott and camp about an extension. I might want out before a bad season ruins my market in free agency in 2025!