Can Viliami Fehoko go from forgotten draft pick to Cowboys DL contributor?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couldn't even get on the active roster on a team with a bad DL.

New rule. No more Fehokos.
He was always a pick for this coming season. He was not going to see the field last season.
Every team has these type of picks. It is not always about the year you pick them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The draft isn't as deep as people like to pretend.
The player drafted before Fehoko was Stetson Bennett who was inactive all year and away from the team.
The player drafted after is a local kid, DE and OKST player. He ended up this year with a whole 5 tackles for the Jaguars.

Once you get that far in the draft there really are no reaches.
More than half the people drafted that low are never going to make an NFL pension.

Fehoko has good size and wingspan.
He is not fast nor is he very twitchy.
He could end up a decent run stuffing DE but his ceiling is probably rotational.
And if you'd take that at pick 129 because a vet rotational DE will cost you 7-8M a year.

Going from Fowler to his guy is one way to help bolster the run stuffing. He's not fast enough to just fly up the field anyway.
Bulk him up and move him inside. Not fast and no twitch all point to having no business being lined up on the edge.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The player drafted before Fehoko was Stetson Bennett who was inactive all year and away from the team.
The player drafted after is a local kid, DE and OKST player. He ended up this year with a whole 5 tackles for the Jaguars.

More than half the people drafted that low are never going to make an NFL pension.

He could end up a decent run stuffing DE but his ceiling is probably rotational.
And if you'd take that at pick 129 because a vet rotational DE will cost you 7-8M a year.

Going from Fowler to his guy is one way to help bolster the run stuffing. He's not fast enough to just fly up the field anyway.
Good points, but only reinforces expecting the middle rounds of the draft to provide impact help at all, let alone immediately, is a dumb strategy, but the kid doesn’t like spending millions on players he has never heard of.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Always look at combine measurements. Most of the time someone at the bottom of the food chain that works for the team website just goes by an outdated college listing to make up the roster height/weights.

Pre-draft measurables
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench press
6 ft 3+3⁄4 in
(1.92 m)
276 lb
(125 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
9 in
(0.23 m)
4.77 s1.68 s2.75 s4.73 s7.32 s30.0 in
(0.76 m)
8 ft 4 in
(2.54 m)
24 reps

jblaze2004

Reaction score
He's listed at 267 lbs. Lawrence is 265 lbs. Armstrong is 255 lbs. TJ Watt is 252 lbs.

None of those guys have any trouble getting sacks.

Doesn't need to bulk up.
Steelers run a 3-4 defense and TJ Watt plays OLB in their defense, except in passing downs of course then he move to DE like we used to do with Demarcus Ware. I would love for us to do that with Micah.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bulk him up and move him inside. Not fast and no twitch all point to having no business being lined up on the edge.
says the Professional forum poster vs the pros who actually feel otherwise after watching his tape and decision to draft him... it was not a reach because i hate to give you this news flash we were not desperate for a pass rusher. we were and pretty much are loaded at a PR DEs, might lose some this offseason ie fowler and Armstrong but they saw something in him to draft him.. i mean they're probably looking for the next Armstrong. DA got better each season and because a very good contributor.

already have that tweener in Gholston, doubt that why DQ drafted him and 3ts we have too many and none that are truly great to keep more spares there.... if he's bust we will now in season 3.. most likely gets released.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Steelers run a 3-4 defense and TJ Watt plays OLB in their defense, except in passing downs of course then he move to DE like we used to do with Demarcus Ware. I would love for us to do that with Micah.
he still doesn't look like he needs to lose weight.. looks like he's a pretty damn good size to play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE... now his talent is what is in question but all this talk about people's weight. apparently, some genius made Mazi lose weight.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
says the Professional forum poster vs the pros who actually feel otherwise after watching his tape and decision to draft him... it was not a reach because i hate to give you this news flash we were not desperate for a pass rusher. we were and pretty much are loaded at a PR DEs, might lose some this offseason ie fowler and Armstrong but they saw something in him to draft him.. i mean they're probably looking for the next Armstrong. DA got better each season and because a very good contributor.

already have that tweener in Gholston, doubt that why DQ drafted him and 3ts we have too many and none that are truly great to keep more spares there.... if he's bust we will now in season 3.. most likely gets released.
On your knees and kiss the ring...

IMG-20230921-205527.jpg

That's about the only thing you're truly good at around here. Sheesh.

blueblood70

Reaction score
On your knees and kiss the ring...

IMG-20230921-205527.jpg

That's about the only thing you're truly good at around here. Sheesh.
No seriously,

the Cowboys are missing out they literally should have an open job fair and let all these wonderful professionals in social media sign up for CEO positions and coaching positions to put on display all their ideas that possibly not one person on the Dallas Cowboys staff ,not a coach,or CEO has ever thought of...

I mean they've been doing it all wrong for 28 years according to everyone around here, it should be like the Vince papali story or the open tryout we had here with Michael Irvin that we got the wide receiver from I can't remember his name now, Jesse holly maybe?​
but yes they should have open tryouts for all these professional wannabes that just know more than an entire organization of professionals that apparently know nothing they've just been doing it all wrong...​

This is the greatest idea of all time, have an open job fair for the know it all fake Internet gms ,coaches, and player personnel executives that no one ever heard of...​
they just sit all day long and tell an organization exactly how it should be done from behind their desk ,​
it would be great if they actually had an opportunity to not waste their talents doing whatever it is they do whether on their computer , phones , laptops ,or IPads when they should be working, they're telling the world how they know more than professional organizations....​
Truly, the NFL is losing out on the opportunity to have a big giant job fare at AT&T and let all these know it all's have a shot and they can pick one coach and 1 executive ,now it would have to be free, you're going to have to be a Intern to start but I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat when we win the Super bowl in the next two seasons because of the wonderful input from the social media crowd...​
:muttley: :oldcouple: :lmao: :popcorn:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No seriously,

the Cowboys are missing out they literally should have an open job fair and let all these wonderful professionals in social media sign up for CEO positions and coaching positions to put on display all their ideas that possibly not one person on the Dallas Cowboys staff ,not a coach,or CEO has ever thought of...

I mean they've been doing it all wrong for 28 years according to everyone around here, it should be like the Vince papali story or the open tryout we had here with Michael Irvin that we got the wide receiver from I can't remember his name now, Jesse holly maybe?​
but yes they should have open tryouts for all these professional wannabes that just know more than an entire organization of professionals that apparently know nothing they've just been doing it all wrong...​

This is the greatest idea of all time, have an open job fair for the know it all fake Internet gms ,coaches, and player personnel executives that no one ever heard of...​
they just sit all day long and tell an organization exactly how it should be done from behind their desk ,​
it would be great if they actually had an opportunity to not waste their talents doing whatever it is they do whether on their computer , phones , laptops ,or IPads when they should be working, they're telling the world how they know more than professional organizations....​
Truly, the NFL is losing out on the opportunity to have a big giant job fare at AT&T and let all these know it all's have a shot and they can pick one coach and 1 executive ,now it would have to be free, you're going to have to be a Intern to start but I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat when we win the Super bowl in the next two seasons because of the wonderful input from the social media crowd...​
:muttley: :oldcouple: :lmao: :popcorn:
I stopped reading halfway through all your cheerleading drivel. Talk about a serious lack of reality. What have you been watching? I'm as big a supporter as you are, but you're just plain wrong if you believe this team's decisions are untouchable or not to be questioned.

fivetwos

Reaction score
he still doesn't look like he needs to lose weight.. looks like he's a pretty damn good size to play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE... now his talent is what is in question but all this talk about people's weight. apparently, some genius made Mazi lose weight.
Well the “pros” felt otherwise and thought he needed to lose weight.

You’re just an internet poster, how dare you question it or have an opinion otherwise.

I mean, other than the fact that the purpose of this forum is to share and discuss those opinions. You seem to take issue with that when they don’t align with your own.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Just in general, when you look at the 2023 draft, the class was pretty terrible. One of the worst in years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/draft.htm

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

They were able to Red Shirt Fehoko, there was no rush to get him more snaps, when stacked behind everyone you mentioned.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well the “pros” felt otherwise and thought he needed to lose weight.

You’re just an internet poster, how dare you question it or have an opinion otherwise.

I mean, other than the fact that the purpose of this forum is to share and discuss those opinions. You seem to take issue with that when they don’t align with your own.
Maybe one good reason is that we spent our 1st rounder on a real 1T for the first time ever and we were comfortable in the understanding that it is going to take a little time to develop there, at that weight.
You dont spend that draft capital on a big man nose/ 1T, if your intentions were to convert him to a 3 is totally assine.
If we wanted a 3T we could have spent a lot less.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hold it. You just proclaimed that we're not allowed to give our opinion. So, that means you're the only one allowed?

You need to step back and rethink this, dude, you're not showing very well here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They were able to Red Shirt Fehoko, there was no rush to get him more snaps, when stacked behind everyone you mentioned.
the entire draft really

Overwhown-hurt TBD
DV-not needed too mnay of the same types in front
Scott- same
Richards- i like him and maybe it will be his camp to seize a tackle spot for depth
Schoon already has a solid 2 TE spot and can get better
Fehoko-TBD

I'm not trying to validate the way they drafted because it was kind of odd but they could have been looking ahead to this year and these dudes maybe you'll get a bigger role with the losses of free agents..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
the entire draft really

Overwhown-hurt TBD
DV-not needed too mnay of the same types in front
Scott- same
Richards- i like him and maybe it will be his camp to seize a tackle spot for depth
Schoon already has a solid 2 TE spot and can get better
Fehoko-TBD

I'm not trying to validate the way they drafted because it was kind of odd but they could have been looking ahead to this year and these dudes maybe you'll get a bigger role with the losses of free agents..
DV are you meaning DO, just following you.