Can we afford to trade a 1 for Jamal Adams?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Depends on FA. We need DT help more than safety and if they only find a Covington/Woods type, then a 1st rounder needs to come in at DT

IDK.....While I agree DT position needs upgrading but if you're bringing Woods back and spent a 2019 2nd on Hill, I don't see using a 1st there. It's early but I'd probably use my 1st on the BEST defensive player @17 regardless of position. Just me but we could probably find hungry motivated free agent vet.

Oneiros

Reaction score
I'm also curious to see if Wilson can play or not. He looked promising in preseason and limited opportunities.

This definitely wouldn't prevent me from upgrading the position but we have far too many holes to fill to trade a 1st round pick for a player that is going to need to be immediately extended and off their rookie contract.

fansince68

Reaction score
If they only wanted a 1 Adams would already be playing for us.
If that price drops to a 1 I am sure we will revisit it and very strongly consider pulling the trigger.
How about a 1 and one of our overpaid o lineman to save some cap space to get a d lineman

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here’s the problem, if the cost was a first round pick, Jamal Adams would be a Cowboys.

They wanted significantly more than that.

Exactly...………..we offered our 1st straight up for Adams at the trade deadline and the Jets said no.

So has the price dropped?

If they will take our 1st straight up, then yeah, I do it.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Of course hes worth a 1st round pick...hes the best safety in the league

Ain't gonna happen though

mathew1184

Reaction score
I think we need talented and cheap depth more. Thats how we built this team...but the last two drafts have hurt us.

So, no I dont think Id give up 17 for him, right now.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
We need lots of DB talent. Better get busy in the draft cuz we have a bunch of other players to pay.

bodi

Reaction score
i take kinlaw and draft burgess in the 3rd

One prospect I think this front office will love is Utah’s Terrell Burgess. The Cowboys ask their safeties to play a lot of man coverage, and Burgess is one of the best pure man defenders at the position in this draft. He can also play deep middle with his range, as well as in the box with his disciplined pursuit and finishing consistency against the run. Burgess’ versatility fits exactly what Dallas has valued at the position in recent years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
no. We cannot trade a premium draft pick for Adams. We can get a safety if we so choose, in the draft or free agency. MM will need those picks to retool the team in his image.Like it or not, we are in a slight state of flux with the roster. Its all about 2021, with hopes of greatly improving in 2020. That's the truth.

CashMan

Reaction score
I am not sure you can afford to re-sign the guy. So it might be a waste if you trade for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How about a 1 and one of our overpaid o lineman to save some cap space to get a d lineman
guess it depends on which overpaid lineman you mean.
tyron would likely require a high first to replace but is paid a lot.

cwill is still cheap, mcgovern is cheap.
travis is recovering from his disease but i guess you could label him overpaid if you were a heinous monster

martin is the 2nd best OG in football, so a solid value.
la'el just had a pro bowl and near all pro worthy level season and is probably a bargain.

Rayman70

Reaction score
you don't build a 3-4 defensive scheme around a safety. Football doesn't work like that. Its built from the trenches FIRST then the back end. Look at San Fran. Keep our premium picks and manipulate the draft using those picks to move up or back. Without those high picks, we have no ability to maneuver and get a player we want. Its a pass for me. I would use a 3rd rounder this year and a 3rd in 2021 for Him. MAYBE throw in a player like Chido.