Can we afford to trade a 1 for Jamal Adams?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In Nolan’s presumptive hybrid 4-3 defense that is more pressure-based, Jamal Adams would be the perfect playmaking SS, with Woods the ballhawking FS. No doubt, if he’s still on the market, Jets will ask for our 1. But with the CB and DT talent available at 17, and likely losing Byron and Maliek, and also having to pay Adams soon, can we afford to trade? I doubt it, but I guess it also depends on free agency targets at S, CB, DT. Thoughts?
is he worth the #17 pick? I am not so sure. also its the cost. a high first round pick can provide production, and you most likey will get a good player if you have done your scouting at a much lower cost for 5 years. there are cap implications to signing someone that is going to want to get paid. then we come back to the same forum and complain we need a CB, a TE, etc. etc. because we didn't draft one or can't sign one because we have allocated cap to other areas...

I rather go the draft route....and no he is not worth a 1st.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys need affordable young talent. They already have too much going to too few and are going to add to that with the QB and if they don't keep the WR, they'll need that as well. They will probably let Jones walk and he's the best DB in a mediocre secondary plus they got another O minded HC and he's probably concerned about the TE and LG situation.

There are two misconceptions some seem to have. One, that this is a great drafting team, it is not. It is a good drafting team at the top, unless you count Charleton and possibly a LB with spinal stenosis, but in the later rounds when they need a hit, they're not getting it. Two, the cap increasing favors the Cowboys, it does not. The salary increases at some positions are out pacing the cap increase and to keep this QB and WR is going to mean the Cowboys will have 7 players in the top 6 paid at their position just on the offense. Add the DE and LB and how much is left for starters, let alone depth?

We can't even project the needs for this team yet because we don't know who's going to be left standing. If they kept everybody, it's still not a playoff D.

The top 6 teams with cap space do not have their QB on his 2nd contract and the Cowboys do not have their #1WR signed and those thinking Gallup can take up the slack, isn't that what they thought that led to trading for Cooper?

The dumbest statements made, and I realize it's hard to pick among so many, by the Joneses are about team friendly deals, that does not exist in the NFL. And the greediest owner even bringing that up is laughable.

The Cowboys have some tough decisions to make and I don't think they're good at that. And, as usual, they'll try to use the media to make the player look bad and greedy and backfire as usual.