Can we even get to one and done next year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've lowered my expectations to one and done being our super bowl with Jerry in charge.

With the eagles getting three first-round draft picks this year we are going to need to do some creative things to even get to one and done in my opinion.

2016 is a long time ago and this Oline is getting old and turning into a penalty ridden mess we need a dominant center badly

On the other side of the ball we need a dominant defensive tackle something we haven't spent a high draft pick on in forever.

It was never more on display than when the eagles gashed us for 150 yards with their second team.

We need a coach that can get some accountability and install some discipline on these players 130 penalties a year will leave us shy of one and done watching the eagles go on in the playoffs.

Thoughts and plans.
We have on 3 occasions this era been 2 and done so there’s always that.

We’ve never repeated this era as division winners. Some might argue it’s because 1st place schedule is tougher. We’ve only won division this year with 2nd or 3rd place schedule.

And we draw the NFC North and AFC East next year. That means games with Buffalo, New England and Green Bay. And in rest of conference LA and Tampa.

Our record in recent years is bleak against playoff teams. There’s 5 potential losses there.

And Egirls are in best position to improve with 3 1st round picks looking to bolster their defense to compliment their strong running game which could forge a tough matchup for us.

I see us more as a Wild Card team next year. That’s assuming we stay relatively healthy.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see us getting any better next year, but I could see us being worse.

Cooper gone, Zeke older, O-line older, and who knows who we lose in free agency that we won't be able to replace.

This will be the story of every offseason for the next 3 years unforntunetley.

I’m not going to pretend like getting worse isn’t possible, it definitely is. In order for this team to improve , it needs better performance from its coaches. Specifically KM, if Moore can improve, the team can improve. If he cannot, it will be difficult.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We should win the East next season. The Eagles or Giants will need to hit grand slams in the draft to catch up to us. Neither team has drafted well in recent times.

Losing at home in the first round again is a real possibility though.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'm with the media now....prove everyone wrong Dallas. The Cowboys have done absolutely NOTHING for 26 years! 10 of those years were WAISTED under the JG experiment!

There's several NFL HC jobs open around the league did any fricken team call Garrett in for a damn interview?!?!?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fwiw
Not that it means a lot, but if Dallas had been paired with the Eagles instead of the 49ers, they would've won a playoff game this year.
Again….they'd still lost next round anyway.

Barring major injuries, I assume they at least make the playoffs next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend like getting worse isn’t possible, it definitely is. In order for this team to improve , it needs better performance from its coaches. Specifically KM, if Moore can improve, the team can improve. If he cannot, it will be difficult.
Here’s the thing. We might not get worse but our competition could get better.

dckid

Reaction score
Holy moley, how did the Eagles get three first-round picks?
Getting rid of Wentz, trading down with the Giants.
Having an intelligent FO. They have a cheap QB, they learned their lesson.
You have no chance of winning a SB, if you have a 40 million a year QB who is not elite.
We can't even get pas the 2nd round with Romo in 2007 as a cheap QB and a dynamic offense.
-2009 another great offense.
-2014 Not peak Romo but well balanced
-2016 Record better than actual team.
-2018 Good team but just got outcoached, when Rams went 95 Nebraka Cornhuskers over Wichita state. 300 yds rushing...
-2021 Flash but no substance. Team had no identity the best Dak team. Coaching travesty at all levels.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm with the media now....prove everyone wrong Dallas. The Cowboys have done absolutely NOTHING for 26 years! 10 of those years were WAISTED under the JG experiment!

There's several NFL HC jobs open around the league did any fricken team call Garrett in for a damn interview?!?!?
But that’s been true for every HC that left here since Jimmy.

The only one ever rehired was Gailey who took him about 10 years at Georgia Tech before Bills gave him a shot. And never to be heard from again.

Let’s face it. The Cowboys are like a graveyard or last stop to HC’s.

Blake

Reaction score
I like our odds in Madden, but then again I play on the hardest difficulty and read cpu defenses like Dak… so maybe not.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe as a wild card. The scoreboard didn't reflect how the 49ers manhandled the soft Cowboys.

Bloke, we are years away from a playoff run beyond 2022.

I am afraid our window of opportunity ended with that sickening run by Dak.

Well said. If they restructure Dak, like we all expect Jerry to do, we have another year. Then the window gets a lot tighter. That depends on how well our D plays. But I highly doubt we get past the divisional round. Not with this offense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone understand the phrase "it is what it is" better than we do? I am still a fan and will still be a fan when this next season begins regardless of what happens and the fact is there are going to 31 teams with disappointed fanbases come February 14 but most of us will manage to muster up some hope, which is all we can do.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

We’ve never repeated this era as division winners. Some might argue it’s because 1st place schedule is tougher. We’ve only won division this year with 2nd or 3rd place schedule.

And we draw the NFC North and AFC East next year. That means games with Buffalo, New England and Green Bay. And in rest of conference LA and Tampa.

Our record in recent years is bleak against playoff teams. There’s 5 potential losses there.

And Egirls are in best position to improve with 3 1st round picks looking to bolster their defense to compliment their strong running game which could forge a tough matchup for us.

I see us more as a Wild Card team next year. That’s assuming we stay relatively healthy.
Wrong. We have the NFC North and AFC South, with games against TB and LA. Extra game is Cincy. Can easily go 3-1 against both the NFCN and AFCS. Packers (assuming Rogers is still there) and Titans are likely the two losses. Jax, Hou and Indy are games we should be favored in. Same for Det, Chi, and Min. TB game depends on whether or not Brady is still there. If he is, we would be underdogs. We will be underdogs against LA and Cincy as well. I say we go 4-2 against the NFCE, 6-2 against the NFCN and AFCS. That puts us at 10-4. I don't think we lose all three against TB, LA and Cincy, but we might. That puts us at 10-7 at the worst.

ICP

Reaction score
Holy moley, how did the Eagles get three first-round picks?
Eagles picks #15,16,19
Giants picks #5 & 7
WFT #11
Dallas #24

Eagles sitting pretty to move up and grab someone they really like or accept a trade offer and stockpile more picks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wrong. We have the NFC North and AFC South, with games against TB and LA. Extra game is Cincy. Can easily go 3-1 against both the NFCN and AFCS. Packers (assuming Rogers is still there) and Titans are likely the two losses. Jax, Hou and Indy are games we should be favored in. Same for Det, Chi, and Min. TB game depends on whether or not Brady is still there. If he is, we would be underdogs. We will be underdogs against LA and Cincy as well. I say we go 4-2 against the NFCE, 6-2 against the NFCN and AFCS. That puts us at 10-4. I don't think we lose all three against TB, LA and Cincy, but we might. That puts us at 10-7 at the worst.
Thanks for correction with AFC.
10-7 looks like a reasonable record. And should ensure a WC. At least.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry went all in last season and he drilled a dry hole with this team. Now the bloated contracts and players moving will hamstring this team for the next 2 seasons at least. Jacksonville, here we come.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does anyone understand the phrase "it is what it is" better than we do? I am still a fan and will still be a fan when this next season begins regardless of what happens and the fact is there are going to 31 teams with disappointed fanbases come February 14 but most of us will manage to muster up some hope, which is all we can do.
I really don’t think all fans are SB or Bust.

There’s plenty of franchises with more hope moving forward next year from the results this year.

I’ve never bought in that only 1 team succeeds.

There’s something to be said for being one of the 14 teams in playoffs and especially final 4.

I still hold our 20 consecutive winning seasons as the franchises greatest mark. The fact we were in 12 championship games in 17 year stretch was the best era a fan could ever hope for.

Winning Super Bowls just provides bragging rights at the end . It isn’t the only definition of success.

shabazz

Reaction score
As long as the Eagles are tying their future to Jalen Hurts, the Cowboys have a good chance of winning the East in purpetuity.

Steve007

Reaction score
I've lowered my expectations to one and done being our super bowl with Jerry in charge.

With the eagles getting three first-round draft picks this year we are going to need to do some creative things to even get to one and done in my opinion.

2016 is a long time ago and this Oline is getting old and turning into a penalty ridden mess we need a dominant center badly

On the other side of the ball we need a dominant defensive tackle something we haven't spent a high draft pick on in forever.

It was never more on display than when the eagles gashed us for 150 yards with their second team.

We need a coach that can get some accountability and install some discipline on these players 130 penalties a year will leave us shy of one and done watching the eagles go on in the playoffs.

Thoughts and plans.
It will be harder with the bad contracts and the cap. Dak's cap hit will get worse. They will probably lose players This team doesn't do much in FA. They go after 2nd tier players and I don't think they can do much becuase of the cap. The O-Line is getting older. They will have to do great in the draft. The head coach has a history of bad clock management. The Packer fans used to complain about it back in the day. Kellen more is overhyped. I don't see anything yet that will make next season any better.

JustChip

Reaction score

Wrong on AFC East. We play the AFC South plus the Bengals.

We may, just may be able to win the Division. But the 12-5 mark this year was the high water mark. And I’m not being a Negative Nancy. Just doing objective analysis.

Comparing our opponents this year and next year:

2021, NFCE 6-0
2022, NFCE ?

2021, NFCS 3-1
2022, NFCN ?

2021, AFCW 1-3
2022, AFCS ?

2021, Vikings, Cards, Patriots 2-1
2022, Bucs, Rams, Bengals ?

We’re not the Patriots with Brady and sweeping the Division is not something we will routinely do. In fact, the previous time was 23 years ago. Going 4-2 or possibly 5-1 should be the expectation so there are 1 or 2 fewer wins right there.

The NFC North and NFC South are probably a wash. If Rodgers leaves GB the North will be somewhat lesser than the South was this year. But even still, it’s most likely we won’t do better against the North than 3-1 so no pickup of wins there.

I think it’s fair to say the AFC South is not on par with the AFC West, but there are 2 good football teams there. I would expect realistically to go either 3-1 or 2-2 so most likely pickup 2 or 1 win vs. this year.

Finally, I think we’ll be hard-pressed to repeat this year’s 2-1 mark against the non-common opponents. But certainly we shouldn’t expect to win all 3 so best-case scenario is 2-1 and zero pickup of wins with 1-2 a real possibility and a reduction of 1 win.

The net of it all is we’ll probably go 10-7 with 11-5 a possibility if all falls right. Neither of those will garner a bye. Winning the Division is still a reasonable possibility, but will depend on how the results of the 3 non-common games for us, Philly and WFT.