Can we even get to one and done next year

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've lowered my expectations to one and done being our super bowl with Jerry in charge.

With the eagles getting three first-round draft picks this year we are going to need to do some creative things to even get to one and done in my opinion.

2016 is a long time ago and this Oline is getting old and turning into a penalty ridden mess we need a dominant center badly

On the other side of the ball we need a dominant defensive tackle something we haven't spent a high draft pick on in forever.

It was never more on display than when the eagles gashed us for 150 yards with their second team.

We need a coach that can get some accountability and install some discipline on these players 130 penalties a year will leave us shy of one and done watching the eagles go on in the playoffs.

Thoughts and plans.

The Eagles will not be a serious threat until they replace Jalen Hurts with a starting caliber QB. I think the Cowboys take then division again next year but by a much slimmer margin.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Wrong. We have the NFC North and AFC South, with games against TB and LA. Extra game is Cincy. Can easily go 3-1 against both the NFCN and AFCS. Packers (assuming Rogers is still there) and Titans are likely the two losses. Jax, Hou and Indy are games we should be favored in. Same for Det, Chi, and Min. TB game depends on whether or not Brady is still there. If he is, we would be underdogs. We will be underdogs against LA and Cincy as well. I say we go 4-2 against the NFCE, 6-2 against the NFCN and AFCS. That puts us at 10-4. I don't think we lose all three against TB, LA and Cincy, but we might. That puts us at 10-7 at the worst.

A lot depends on which three games Tyron decides to take off next year. They could be losses no matter who we play.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The Eagles will not be a serious threat until they replace Jalen Hurts with a starting caliber QB. I think the Cowboys take then division again next year but by a much slimmer margin.

They were already a threat Hurts and the new coach get another training camp together along with three fresh first round draft picks.

Hurts salary also allows them to add free agents. It's not so much about his talent level which could improve but the fact that he's not breaking the bank and lets them put a lot of talent around him.

Unfortunately we didn't make the most of the window we had with Daks rookie contract and now we don't have the luxury of signing any expensive free agents to get us over the hump

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Holy moley, how did the Eagles get three first-round picks?
As bad as their GM has been at drafting (except for last year) the guy deserves some kind of statue for what he did in the off season last year. He got rid of Wentz and that horrible contract AND got the Colts to give them their first round pick. Then he traded down in the draft and got Miami's first round pick in return, and they STILL got the guy the wanted all along in Devanta Smith.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the Eagles with Hurts at QB will suddenly win the division because they have 3 first round picks is delusional and over-reacting. None of their 3 picks is in the top 10 (15, 16, 19) if they don’t trade a couple to move up. Their OL is a mess. Their WRs are a mess. Their QB situation is a mess. Their defense seems unable to stop anyone. Continue to be disappointed in the Cowboys playoff game vs SF, but barring an injury that makes Rush our starting QB for the season, the Cowboys will be the heavy favorite to win the division again, despite whatever we may think that’s worth.

Yeah geez we drafted Micah at 12 and he didn't make one bit of difference in our team.

You're right no possible way Three guys not in the top 10 could do anything positive for the eagles.

Sheesh

Blackrain

Reaction score
As bad as their GM has been at drafting (except for last year) the guy deserves some kind of statue for what he did in the off season last year. He got rid of Wentz and that horrible contract AND got the Colts to give them their first round pick. Then he traded down in the draft and got Miami's first round pick in return, and they STILL got the guy the wanted all along in Devanta Smith.

As much as I absolutely hate to say it this gives them a leg up on retooling their team along with the fact that their quarterback is not costing an arm and a leg lets them possibly get some free agents that could help them.

As sad as I am to say it all I see us doing is getting a year older . We had a great opportunity this year and totally blew it

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants with 2 top 10 picks, Eagles with 3 1sts, the Skins with the 11th overall pick.

Not good for the Cowboys.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
As much as I absolutely hate to say it this gives them a leg up on retooling their team along with the fact that their quarterback is not costing an arm and a leg lets them possibly get some free agents that could help them.

As sad as I am to say it all I see us doing is getting a year older . We had a great opportunity this year and totally blew it
I totally agree. If you face facts, the Eagles have been a properly run team for the last couple decades, and have been one of the most successful teams in the league. It won't take them long before they are competitive, maybe even next year. I don't think Hurts will ever be an above average passer. He may not ever be average. But he does have great mobility and intangibles, and if the Eagles decide to roll with him they will build intelligently around him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Giants with 2 top 10 picks, Eagles with 3 1sts, the Skins with the 11th overall pick.

Not good for the Cowboys.

Yep and it looks like the Giants may actually have a decent coach.

I may be totally off base but it's certainly looks like the rest of the division has a chance to improve by way of the draft and free agency.

We on the other hand look to be unable to do anything but get a year older as we have paid some underachievers rockstar money and can't get out of it anytime soon.

So unless McCarthy has some type of epiphany and actually coaches up the talent we have to play as they are advertised it could be a somewhat mediocre season

Blackrain

Reaction score
Seriously?
Yes unfortunately I'm very serious to even get to one and done we need to get better.

And we need to get better faster than the competition in our division.

Teams with multiple first round draft picks and money to spend on free agents stand a real good chance of getting better faster.

We have neither of those things just a group of undisciplined underachievers led by a coach who doesn't know how to make talented players accountable for their mistakes

ESisback

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the Eagles with Hurts at QB will suddenly win the division because they have 3 first round picks is delusional and over-reacting. None of their 3 picks is in the top 10 (15, 16, 19) if they don’t trade a couple to move up. Their OL is a mess. Their WRs are a mess. Their QB situation is a mess. Their defense seems unable to stop anyone. Continue to be disappointed in the Cowboys playoff game vs SF, but barring an injury that makes Rush our starting QB for the season, the Cowboys will be the heavy favorite to win the division again, despite whatever we may think that’s worth.
If we get a new OL Coach and spend the offseason working on the trenches, I’ll add even more optimism. Not gonna spend the next eight months miserable!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've lowered my expectations to one and done being our super bowl with Jerry in charge.

With the eagles getting three first-round draft picks this year we are going to need to do some creative things to even get to one and done in my opinion.

2016 is a long time ago and this Oline is getting old and turning into a penalty ridden mess we need a dominant center badly

On the other side of the ball we need a dominant defensive tackle something we haven't spent a high draft pick on in forever.

It was never more on display than when the eagles gashed us for 150 yards with their second team.

We need a coach that can get some accountability and install some discipline on these players 130 penalties a year will leave us shy of one and done watching the eagles go on in the playoffs.

Thoughts and plans.

where do you even get we can win one?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately I'm very serious to even get to one and done we need to get better.

And we need to get better faster than the competition in our division.

Teams with multiple first round draft picks and money to spend on free agents stand a real good chance of getting better faster.

We have neither of those things just a group of undisciplined underachievers led by a coach who doesn't know how to make talented players accountable for their mistakes
The truth is that teams like GB and Tampa could be crumbling as quickly as next season. It’s there for the taking if Jerry can get his act together.

Adreme

Reaction score
Having 3 first round picks means in 2 years they might be a problem but drafting is not about the next season, it is usually about 2 seasons from now at the earliest which means the Eagles are setting themselves up to be good in 2 years but next year they are not really going to be a threat in the East. The East is going to still be free and the Cowboys will probably again be 1 and done.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The truth is that teams like GB and Tampa could be crumbling as quickly as next season. It’s there for the taking if Jerry can get his act together.
All true if they lose their quarterbacks could definitely impact their season

Blackrain

Reaction score
Having 3 first round picks means in 2 years they might be a problem but drafting is not about the next season, it is usually about 2 seasons from now at the earliest which means the Eagles are setting themselves up to be good in 2 years but next year they are not really going to be a threat in the East. The East is going to still be free and the Cowboys will probably again be 1 and done.

That's possible but they could draft three guys like Micah Parsons and that could make a hell of a positive impact on their season.
Not sure exactly what we got to look forward to. Maybe we won't lead the league in penalties