Can we stop panicking now?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
One game does not necessarily change anything. We shall see going forward.

If they build off this and can string some very valuable wins over these next few weeks then it will be time to re-evaluate the job the coaching staff is doing.

But, no, one win (impressive as it was since they beat a team the way they should have in a game like this) against an 0-6 team doesn't suddenly make everything bad from the previous two games (against much better teams) go away.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The CZ formula:

After a close loss: Don't talk about any positivity in the game. We were never in that game.....we've got some serious panickin' to do

After a loss: We're not good enough. We're luck to have won such and such games ...we've got some major panickin' to do

After a tough loss: We've got epic levels of panickin' to do....but ultimately, it's time to blow it all up and rebuild.

After a close win: There's nothing to celebrate. We should have lost.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Good win: Celebrate for 2 hours and then shut up about it.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Great win: Celebrate for 4 hours and then shut up about it....we've got some panickin' to do.

After Super Bowl win: Celebrate for 24 hours and then shut up about it....we're going to go another 20+ years without another SB win....and we've got some panickin' to do

So that last line...was CZ around the last time this team even got close to a Superbowl?

Funny either way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KC is fading and Atlanta isnt a powerhouse. Washington and Philly are division games

Every year it happens. Teams that look unbeatable in the first quarter of the season go through slumps, and teams that look beatable early get better. It's a crap shoot. Which is why you just want to stay in striking distance until after Thanksgiving.

The road ahead for us is bumpy enough that we might not even be able to do that, but if we can, I do like our chances in the NFC. No dominant teams yet, our offense is genuinely good, and we're now getting edge pressure, at least. And we have a 3 tech and a couple of cover CBs If the young secondary gets better late with experience and all the LBs can stay healthy, I like our chances of playing well as a team at the end of the year.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So that last line...was CZ around the last time this team even got close to a Superbowl?

Funny either way.

Just goin' off trends. There's no way some of the curmudgeons around here would stand for a prolonged celebration before pulling out their billy-clubs and beating down optimism.

Lets tap the brakes on the top 5 talk folks, the teams we have beaten this year are a combined 4-17.
Yep, everyone needs to shut up because...we've got some panickin' to do..

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
No way? They currently are. They best bad teams and lose to good ones. They won't survive upcoming schedule.

Sorry, 8-8. Maybe 7-9 if some bad breaks.

So what, doesn’t mean they are going to stay at 500, this team can win 10 games this year.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say doom and gloom, you have to look at some of this realistically, no? They are a .500 ball club who beat a winless team. There is still a lot of concern with the defense and a very very tough schedule ahead. You also have to worry about this Zeke thing, so I don’t think a win against a winless opponent should make anyone feel comfortable. I think Rich said it this am on NFLN they gotta win 7 of the next 10 to try and get in. It’s gonna be tough they dug themselves into a hole.
Reasonable post.no negative and yes the Bhutan death March lays ahead.7 of 10 is doable.
The boys did what their suppose to do but more.they lifted a grey cloud above their head.
This is strong (proof) with more to come.just relax dax got this.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yesterday was an all-around good effort I really couldn't ask for anything more.
Okay maybe Linehan not passing on 2nd and 5 or less LOL

But I'm still going to continue to panic in my own special way until we reach the halfway point of the season and we're over 500.
Because I consider 500 or less a reason to panic, as I have for the most part of the last 20 something years.
This was by far the worst team in football we played yesterday there are some college teams that could give him a run for their money.
I didn't like seeing Sean Lee limping around the field yesterday I'll be much more un panicked when I see the injury report.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
THe panic and doom threads will continue. I'm convinced a lot of those guys that do that are fans of other teams and are trolling us.......

I'll venture a guess that our membership will always have an abundant supply of hand wringers who can't handle the losses with the wins. If our players are unable to beat the tough teams that we'll play in the weeks ahead, it's only the natural order of things that we should lose. The only consolation is that we'd fittingly draw a higher draft position once this season is history. Much of our misfortune rests upon the hands of Goodell and the owners.

Hopefully, Goodell and his goons might eventually reap their well-deserved downfall by getting voted out of power by the owners. If the owners have any sense of justice at all, they'll come to grips with the error of their ways and see the needless harm that their heavy-handed ways have blindly brought upon themselves. Dealing with their players in the same unjust manner going forward would likely bring pro football and the NFL down considerably more than it has already.

Last edited:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I don't think it is called panicking its called being realistic. They beat an 0-6 team and this is what the outcome should have been. Nice to see what a working running game will do for the entire team though.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I said during the offseason following the draft and before training camp started the front office made the calculated decision, with it's eyes wide open, to let a bunch of defensive vets walk and go with a youth movement in the draft to shore up the defense, especially our secondary.

And this was going to AT LEAST cost us a few early games as the rookies played their way into the league.

As the last 3 games have shown, there's nothing wrong with that offense. It's the defense collapsing in the 4th that cost us wins vs the Rams and then the Packers. 2-3 key plays and we're looking at 5-1 instead of 3-3.

Well so be it. It is what it is. A choice was made, the consequences have to be faced. The defense isn't there yet. Too many new pieces, including our 'redshirt' MLB Jaylon Smith. We have a CHANCE that the coaches and the players on that defense can get it together over the remaining 10 games so that we don't drop that many more contests where the offense puts up 30+.

We knew going into this year the defense was a work in progress and a lot hinged on if that unit can come together and forge itself in at least an average NFL unit. I liked what I saw today, but there's a ways to go.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I don't think it is called panicking its called being realistic. They beat an 0-6 team and this is what the outcome should have been. Nice to see what a working running game will do for the entire team though.
Yep. Great offenses run off the Line and the Running Game. All the great Cowboy teams had that element. Trench players win. Go Cowboys.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I said during the offseason following the draft and before training camp started the front office made the calculated decision, with it's eyes wide open, to let a bunch of defensive vets walk and go with a youth movement in the draft to shore up the defense, especially our secondary.

And this was going to AT LEAST cost us a few early games as the rookies played their way into the league.

As the last 3 games have shown, there's nothing wrong with that offense. It's the defense collapsing in the 4th that cost us wins vs the Rams and then the Packers. 2-3 key plays and we're looking at 5-1 instead of 3-3.

Well so be it. It is what it is. A choice was made, the consequences have to be faced. The defense isn't there yet. Too many new pieces, including our 'redshirt' MLB Jaylon Smith. We have a CHANCE that the coaches and the players on that defense can get it together over the remaining 10 games so that we don't drop that many more contests where the offense puts up 30+.

We knew going into this year the defense was a work in progress and a lot hinged on if that unit can come together and forge itself in at least an average NFL unit. I liked what I saw today, but there's a ways to go.
Agreed. Its seems the decisions were based on a 2 or 3 yr window. I think this team starts to hit its stride next season and the following one. There is a SB in this offenses future..just some more work on the Defense. Its getting there.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Yep. Great offenses run off the Line and the Running Game. All the great Cowboy teams had that element. Trench players win. Go Cowboys.
Agree and most of the great teams have a great running game. Pats and Pack are two that have bucked this trend for the most part. Zeke had an extra burst yesterday that was evident with his first carry. They need him all year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They haven't.......but I think the main culprit is the youth on defense which is holding this team back.

Really? Who are the rookies who are giving up all of these big plays while everyone else isn't apparently doing their jobs?

I've heard this excuse used repeatedly and it has never added up or been supported by actual evidence.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Every year it happens. Teams that look unbeatable in the first quarter of the season go through slumps, and teams that look beatable early get better. It's a crap shoot. Which is why you just want to stay in striking distance until after Thanksgiving.

The road ahead for us is bumpy enough that we might not even be able to do that, but if we can, I do like our chances in the NFC. No dominant teams yet, our offense is genuinely good, and we're now getting edge pressure, at least. And we have a 3 tech and a couple of cover CBs If the young secondary gets better late with experience and all the LBs can stay healthy, I like our chances of playing well as a team at the end of the year.
I couldn't agree more. Great insight!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last two weeks were a special kind of punishment, reading all of the doom threads on CZ. After this win, I hope now that everyone can come to their senses and realize that we’re a really darn good football team that will be in the thick of it come January.

This offense is the same offense that we had last year - but better. The Cowboys are averaging more than 32 - that’s right, 32 - points per game over the last four games. Dak’s game has improved as well, and the chemistry with Dez is noticeable.

The average age of our o-line starters is 25. Dak is 24 and Elliot is 23. The offense is going to be good for a very, very long time.

Last year the defense was the culprit. It still is, and was in all three losses this year. However it is noticeably better than last year, and it’s much younger.

On defense we are generating more pressure than last year - a lot more. Last year we had 36 sacks for the entire year. This year, DLaw alone has 9.5 sacks through 6 games and we’re on pace for 60 for the year. And what’s better, the sacks are coming from the defensive line, so we haven’t needed to blitz.

The secondary is young - three of the four starters have two or less years of experience, and they’re balling. You can see them coming together before your very eyes.

Our weak point has been at linebacker, broken tackles and overrunning plays, and especially weak against the run. But in two of our three losses, we were missing both Lee and Hitchens. We gave up 35 points in both of those games.

Oh yeah, and we still have the most accurate kicker in NFL history on the roster (pending his injury today, of course).

The panic and doom threads should stop now. This is a top 5 football team that is young and will be good for YEARS. The team is only going to get better. In a wide open year where there isn’t one clear dominant team, there’s no reason why the Cowboys shouldn’t represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

When they do, you heard it here first. ;)

Sorry, but a win over a winless team and quarterback making his first start doesn't erase recent failures or make things "all better".

Unfortunately, this wasn't a quality win, no matter how you slice it.

The only way they can restore faith is by putting multiple wins together, against some teams that have actually won more games than they've lost. Or won some games period.

The team did enough to damage faith in them. And now the team has to work to get that faith back.