Can we talk about 71 and officiating?

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
On one hand, the guy is a punk and the officials were blind. On the other hand, you have to admire the sheer gall and ability to avoid punishment.

It took no "ability". Pretty obvious the zebras were giving him the free hand to do his thuggery. Once he got away with it on B. Jones it happened every few plays and Dallas got all the flags. Seems kinda like the zebras had no intention of calling NY for any of this krap.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys won so no harm done, but against better teams they have to avoid taking the bait in those situations. Last night was sloppy and the Cowboys are fortunate they were playing a really bad team.

JustChip

Reaction score
It’s the rule and I think if March hadn’t shoved the guy at the end he would have been fine.

I have no quibble with that penalty. March was stupid there.

The one I can’t get is the Woods taunting call.
Agree. That flag wasn’t thrown until after Hernandez shovd Woods and he turned around and got in Hernandez’s face. Woods said something, but the call was taunting. Obviously, we don’t know what Woods said, but it sure didn’t have the optics of what I would consider taunting. Would have made sense if Woods had stood over Darnold and said something, but I didn’t see that. Hernandez definitely should have been flagged if anyone was, but they let that go and then it started to escalate and the ref threw the flag to try to get it back under control, but he already passed in flagging Hernandez so he had to pick someone to flag. It’s why the 2nd guy typically gets the call - the ref lets the 1st one go thinking “let em play”, but when it escalates they act.

Used to see offsetting penalties all the time, but I don’t recall them much anymore. I think that by design. Where’s the “penalty” if they offset?

Last edited:

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
NFL referee on the way to work:

giphy.gif

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not sure what this comment is about or how it fits anythig I said? But OK.
You mentioned him in the same context as guys who played after the whistle.

Yea, Larry Allen was a mauler, but he wasn't at all the same player as Kevin Gogan

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
You mentioned him in the same context as guys who played after the whistle.

Yea, Larry Allen was a mauler, but he wasn't at all the same player as Kevin Gogan
You see what you want to see. Can't help you. Larry Allen was not a dirty player at all. He was a mauler of maulers as I said. I do not consider a mauler a dirty player. The OP listed his list of guys who do not take guff from others. Larry Allen was one of those. He didn't take guff from anyone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You see what you want to see. Can't help you. Larry Allen was not a dirty player at all. He was a mauler of maulers as I said. I do not consider a mauler a dirty player. The OP listed his list of guys who do not take guff from others. Larry Allen was one of those. He didn't take guff from anyone.
Dude I agree with you.

I'm saying he was different in that he did all of it between the whistles, so he's way different than Hernandez and Gogan.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I loved it, protected his QB and wasn't scared of nobody. Not like our guys

I know what you mean.

In the Pack game Dak is getting punked by some defensive lineman and none of our linemen came to his defense.

Our gentlemen were like “DON’T GET INVOLVED; that’s their business.”

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
That pulling off the pile penalty was complete horse ****

that happens on every kick off
That penalty is relatively new, and was designed to decreased the possibility of fights/scrums. It rarely happens any more (at least in games I've watched) because of the severe penalty. It was simply a dumb penalty on March's part, IMO.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
OK, the guy came to his QB's aid when he thought he was roughed up, fine, but he kept at it the entire game. The entire Cowboy D-line was tired of that dude, he was either doing some serious trash talking, throwing cheap shots, or both. He's a punk, pure and simple.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
How can the same guy on one team literally get in five different fights....including grabbing face masks and shoving players etc and never once get called for a penalty while the other team repeatedly is? If the refs would have called even offsetting penalties after the hit on Jones I think they keep the game under control. They have to do a better job especially when there is a common denominator involved in all the scrums
That nasty attitude is why I wanted Dallas to draft Will Hernandez

He’s such a good guy off the field, but on it, he’s a dang monster.

reminds me of Larry Allen in that way.

anava

Reaction score
My favorite was Saquon and Byron goofing off in the middle of it. Looked like Woods was about to go after Saquon before he realized they were playing.