Can Zeke sue the NFL for slander

Ghost12

Reaction score
Can he or can't he?
Jonathan Vilma tried that and had his case thrown out of court due to the fact that Goodell has the collectively bargained right to investigate, suspend, etc. He even had a sympathetic judge who admitted the NFL acted in bad faith, but it still wasn't enough to allow a slander lawsuit to proceed. In all likelihood, the same thing would happen here.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
depends first on how this entire court proceeding ends up, then it would depend on how a civil judge / court would view the language of the letter written to Zeke by the NFL on why he was suspended

one could argue that the NFL (Goodell, the panel of 4, Friel, etc.) used language that implied or outright accused of domestic violence against the accuser (i'd have to go back and read the letter thoroughly)

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think the court would have to say that the NFL had a "reckless disregard for the truth". I think they have shown that in this case by labeling him for DV when, not only did the Police investigators not find anything but the NFL's own investigator did not find or recommend this "label"

Reaction score
I think the court would have to say that the NFL had a "reckless disregard for the truth". I think they have shown that in this case by labeling him for DV when, not only did the Police investigators not find anything but the NFL's own investigator did not find or recommend this "label"
don't know if this would be enough but so far I like your answer best! :)

I hope somehow we're able to make them pay - winning a SB ala Brady would suit me just fine

links18

Reaction score
He can sue, but it would be dismissed on summary judgment and his lawyers might face sanctions for filing a frivolous lawsuit

ghst187

Reaction score
He should def sue the accuser ex-g/f not for money but just for principle. Maybe the judge could sentence her to be his butler (Points for Seinfeld ref)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Jonathan Vilma tried that and had his case thrown out of court due to the fact that Goodell has the collectively bargained right to investigate, suspend, etc. He even had a sympathetic judge who admitted the NFL acted in bad faith, but it still wasn't enough to allow a slander lawsuit to proceed. In all likelihood, the same thing would happen here.

I went back and looked at his suit against Goodell. It would be similar but there still is the difference of the seriousness of what they said Zeke did. They are accusing him of a felony and labeling him an abuser without the normal level of proof needed. I would also claim that the NFL has no right to proclaim someone committed a crime. I think this is what Jerry was alluding to hen he said more news is coming. I have no idea if anything like this will be successful but I don't think it will be summarily dismissed like some may think.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Can he or can't he?

First of all it would be for libel, not slander.

Second, anyone can sue for anything. The question is does he have a legitimate claim.

He has to prove that the NFL made untrue statements that caused (or could realistically cause) him personal or financial harm, that they knew the statements were untrue when issued and that the statements were made negligently or with harmful intent.

Generally speaking, it's nearly impossible for public figures to win such cases.

windjc

Reaction score
He can sue, but it would be dismissed on summary judgment and his lawyers might face sanctions for filing a frivolous lawsuit
Yeah, you don't really know what you're talking about.

erod

Reaction score
No, not here.

There is too much circumstantial evidence that brought about this entire situation, and the NFL didn't invent the chaotic relationship between Zeke and this girl.

Misinterpreting or being wrong about an investigation isn't slander. It's sloppy or incompetent, but it isn't slander.

And in this incredibly PC country we live in now, the "victim" always gets the benefit of the doubt.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
No, not here.

There is too much circumstantial evidence that brought about this entire situation, and the NFL didn't invent the chaotic relationship between Zeke and this girl.

Misinterpreting or being wrong about an investigation isn't slander. It's sloppy or incompetent, but it isn't slander.

And in this incredibly PC country we live in now, the "victim" always gets the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah pretty much what this guy said. I doubt he would win a libel case. He would have a better chance with a human rights case.

cowboys1985

Reaction score

But Jonathan Vilma wasn't accused by the NFL of criminal activity. Vilma was accused by NFL for violating NFL rules. This is different

jaybird

Reaction score
Can he or can't he?
I have not read through these post, but want to share my deep thoughts on this.
DV is serious, even more so when you think of the physical power of a professional athlete. If Zeke did caused harm to a women using physical dominance, 6 games is no where near enough. I pray he gets professional help

However, considering how much backing and support he has received from Jones who has of history of fighting against DV and Whitten who has lived through his own moms victimization and not to mention the support and legal support the NFLPA has provided. This leads me to believe this is all a complete unfounded nonsense. That said, the "league" should not have the liberty to tag someone a woman beater and tarnish his reputation without due cause. They should not have the right to supersede the laws and due process of this country's judiciary system. I'm sure that was not the intent of the collection bargaing agreement. This is not some deflate gate BS, this is real life.

I'm sure we can all agree, that Zeke needs to grow up, and stop putting himself in these situations. The pulling the girls top down is something you would exspect from
a spoiled rotten 16 year old. But to label him a women beater by suspending him the mandatory 6 games with no real Evidence is wrong
NFL system of judging and suspension appears to be out of control.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can he or can't he?
If they keep prosecuting cases when the courts have thrown them out, it will start happening more.
No idea if plantifs will win, but its so out of line to throw the courts out the window completely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can he or can't he?

Libel: Written defamatory statement.

Slander: Spoken defamatory statement.

Yes, he could take it to court. I don't know his chances of winning, but they had very specific claims about what he did and those claims were not by the person that interviewed the witness. Also the legal system didn't find him guilty.