Can't be quarterback: name one Cowboy player from the past you would put on this current team

lqmac1

Reaction score
Fans will say that about Emmitt because they are stupid
I love Emmitt because he’s a legend of the Cowboys, but it’s hard for me to not take into consideration what non-biased fans had to say.

Nobody ever really knocked him, they said he was a great running back for the most part, but they said he played behind one of the greatest offensive lines in history and arguably the greatest fullback in history… Those 2 statements are true!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Emmitt wouldn’t be as good behind this OL plus the NFL is a passing league. Hard to dominate teams on the ground these days. The game has changed some.
Yet, if the Browns had merely committed to the run more, they would have beaten the Packers.
Yes, the league has changed. But in the playoffs and in the cold, a good running game can be a quarterback's best friend.
Besides, it can make a quarterback more effective.
Many teams play eight-man against Dallas and dare Dak to beat them.
Having a productive run game helps the passing game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Emmitt is a good choice but I’m looking to defense .
Lilly, White, Renfro, Harris.
Take your pick .

It still amazes me we think we can win a championship without the talent level we had on defense in our glory eras.

But with one pick I’m taking Landry or Jimmy if HC’s are an option.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love Emmitt because he’s a legend of the Cowboys, but it’s hard for me to not take into consideration what non-biased fans had to say.

Nobody ever really knocked him, they said he was a great running back for the most part, but they said he played behind one of the greatest offensive lines in history and arguably the greatest fullback in history… Those 2 statements are true!

Yet the whole show was terrible when Emmitt couldn’t play.

We could always win without Aikman but if Emmitt was out it was an L.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I disagree and even former players have admitted they couldn’t play the game today at their size and speed. Randy White played between 260 and 270. That’s way too small for a DT in today’s game. There’s no way to compensate at that size on the DL. He even said that when we reached the mid 1980s it was getting tough for him to play at his size. He said the players were getting bigger and bigger. He was undersized when he came into the league in 1975 which is why the Cowboys tried to make him a linebacker.
I remember the Hogs talking trash to Randy White during the NFC Championship Game.
You simply didn't do that to Randy White. But the Hogs began the trend of the big offensive linemen. They simply beat Randy White to the ground. Of course, White was older, but still, as great as he was, physics is physics.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys’ sack leader Demarcus Ware.

That’s another good one that I’d love to have with these guys but we are so strong at that spot already.

Id like to just get Larry Allen and increase our ability to impose our will on teams if the pass game isn’t working.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Non-Cowboys fans don't realize how valuable Emmitt was. The dude had incredible power in his legs, didn't take himself out the game like a back I will not mention, and had TREMENDOUS durability.

lqmac1

Reaction score

I think a lot of you have been triggered. Nobody said he sucked, they just said that he wasn’t on Barry Sanders level. For the most part, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton is who you hear of being considered the greatest of all time. Nobody outside of cowboys fans ever mentions Emmitt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember the Hogs talking trash to Randy White during the NFC Championship Game.
You simply didn't do that to Randy White. But the Hogs began the trend of the big offensive linemen. They simply beat Randy White to the ground. Of course, White was older, but still, as great as he was, physics is physics.

White talked about how big players were getting on the OL. He said they were big and quick. Randy White relied on quickness and getting around players. That became more difficult for him as players on the OL got bigger.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He did but it takes alot more than that to produce what he did. Especially in that era teams built to stop the run. With that great of a line, we couldn't find a back up who could get more than 4 yards a carry. Derrick Lassic was horrible when Emmitt held out. We signed former #2 overall pick Blair Thomas and he failed. We drafted Sherman Williams in the 2nd round and he failed. Wasn't until we got Chris Warren in 1999 that we actually had a decent back up. Back in those days a line wasnt going to manufacture a run game for you. You needed a legitimately good HB