Canty improving - do we re-sign him?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I am starting to see Canty making more plays and getting involved more consistently. Is this the light coming on, the new scheme, those around him creating more space for him and him benefitting by osmosis, OR is this guy stepping up and now deserving of a new contract in Dallas?

1.5 sacks today I think. Some other pressures and knockdowns. Passes being knocked out of air last few games. Obviously helping keep oline off off James and Thomas who are hitting running forward.

With the latest play of our front 7, you'd hate to see him go and light it up elsewhere. All those draft picks on our D are starting to pay off! Sometimes it takes a few years for light to come on all the way. Maybe we can get him at a reasonable price for 3-4 more years!

LarryCanadian

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's not up to us

but watch Jerry shell out the money for him

why let a good thing die?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
He's been basically invisible all year save for tonight. I can't see us spending much money to keep him.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
they tried to...and I said at the time Canty is probably asking for more than we gave Ratliff.....and the Cowboys cannot in good conscious do that. You CANNOT give him more than Ratliff....if he wants more, that puts them in a real bind.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i havent heard him ask for more than canty;

now at same time, do we need canty, yes!

big defensive ends are a must in the 3=4;

they have to keep the big offensive linemen off of the linebackers
and canty is one of our biggest defensive ends at 6-6 about 300.

im sure that jerry jones will get something worked out, at the very least you sign him to a or franchise him to a first year draft choice.

the biggest contract that we have to sign a big player and that is going to cost a lot is demarcus ware as you all know, now ware we have him for next year too, so you could wait one more year on him;

but yes we need to resign canty

burmafrd

Reaction score
Not sure. He was pretty invisible most of the season- but then outside of Ware and the Rat a LOT of the D was invisible most of the season.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
all except that last 5 games or so, the tampa bay game, san francisco, seattle, pittsburgh, and now giants in dallas.

so defense is coming on at right time,

proline

Reaction score
When teams are focusing on Ratliff and Ware on either side of him, Canty had darn well better win some of those battles! I do like his pass breakups (shades of Too Tall!), but I think he's benefiting from the talent around him and matchups against him the last couple of weeks.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Canty has had a down year after showing signs of life last year. But I would still like to re-sign him, he's a solid 3-4 DE with great size...which don't grow on trees...and maybe now we'll be able to get a reasonable deal done.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
One games doesn't make a great player. We resign him if he is cheap. If we (somehow) win it all, he is gone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has not lived up to the draft day hype.

I'd resign him but not for big bucks.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think you can simply plug someone in there. He'll need to continue showing up. One thing to remember is once the dam breaks then everyone is going to show up. I can't tell whether Canty is playing better which is making the DL look like a beast or whether Canty is looking better because the DL is better. Wade says Canty is coming on. That's good enough for me. Dallas will do the right thing.

Nexx

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2495361 said:
Canty is average at best.

We can do better.

i have to agree, if he is willing to take average money keep him. and about him coming on and the light turning on, we said the same crap about him last year and what good did that do first 3/4 of this year?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I wonder what Olshansky will get in free agency. He might want out of SD and to play for Wade again. It would be the exact same position, so no transition needed.

He might get a lot, though, and Ware is going to absolutely break the bank.

I'd like to see us draft a D-lineman... Hatcher could fill in for a year while the rook learned.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'm starting to get more on the Spears bandwagon. He's developed into a team leader. If we can keep both he and Canty at a reasonable cost that would be great. I don't expect either of these guys is going to break the bank. It isn't like Hatcher or Bowen are going to be able to step up and take either of their jobs.

newlander

Reaction score
I'm with the majority here: he's a luxury, not a necessity. HE's been pretty mediocre overall.

What about Spears guys? I think he's been stout this year: ESPECIALLY in the run game. Why do I have a feeling the fat man down in Florida will sign him? (yeah, yeah I know what Spears said about him but money talks)