Canty improving - do we re-sign him?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2497606 said:
I wonder what Olshansky will get in free agency. He might want out of SD and to play for Wade again. It would be the exact same position, so no transition needed.

He might get a lot, though, and Ware is going to absolutely break the bank.

I'd like to see us draft a D-lineman... Hatcher could fill in for a year while the rook learned.

Well Lab with Holland looking as good as he did when he was in there and Colombo contract extension... I don't see the Cowboys taking an OL with their first pick in the second round.

I'm thinking that it will either be a NT so that Ratliff can be moved to DE (in order to replace Canty) OR they'll draft a DT who can play DE in the 3-4.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;2497612 said:
I'm with the majority here: he's a luxury, not a necessity. HE's been pretty mediocre overall.

What about Spears guys? I think he's been stout this year: ESPECIALLY in the run game. Why do I have a feeling the fat man down in Florida will sign him? (yeah, yeah I know what Spears said about him but money talks)

Spears isn't a FA this offseason.

2much2soon

Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2497628 said:
only if the price is right. if hes looking for a big payday he can look somewhere else

I wonder if NE is still high on Canty, as they were reported to be in his draft year.

newlander

Reaction score
Good news on Spears Micheal: I thought his deal was up. That's good. He's a bit of a bonehead, but he's been real solid against the run all season. That can't be said for too many guys on that line with the exception of Ratliff.

BTW: whatever happened to that ..................Tank Johnson guy?? He's riding serious pine. Horrible year this year.

cowboyz

Reaction score
2much2soon;2497640 said:
I wonder if NE is still high on Canty, as they were reported to be in his draft year.
i don't think he'd go to them. they already have seymour and warren.

NE signs people usually for cheap unless they find someone that's really good like adalius thomas or even wes welker.

not too many teams need 3-4 DEs, maybe the 49ers?

but he can play in the 4-3 so that could open up his options.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyz;2497723 said:
i don't think he'd go to them. they already have seymour and warren.

NE signs people usually for cheap unless they find someone that's really good like adalius thomas or even wes welker.

not too many teams need 3-4 DEs, maybe the 49ers?

but he can play in the 4-3 so that could open up his options.

I'm not sure about that.

He doesn't have the burst to play as a 4-3 DE.

He might be better off as a tall, 4-3 DT.

But still he'll never be even a good DE.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
newlander;2497671 said:
Good news on Spears Micheal: I thought his deal was up. That's good. He's a bit of a bonehead, but he's been real solid against the run all season. That can't be said for too many guys on that line with the exception of Ratliff.

actually he's emerged as a team leader. we can't afford to lose any leadership.

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
He's the prototype for the 3-4 defense and a player of his size and ability are rare.

We need to resign him.

I can just see Parcells nabbing him the second he hits FA and then him having a Pro Bowl season under his watch.

Batman

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2495104 said:
I am starting to see Canty making more plays and getting involved more consistently. Is this the light coming on, the new scheme, those around him creating more space for him and him benefitting by osmosis, OR is this guy stepping up and now deserving of a new contract in Dallas?

1.5 sacks today I think. Some other pressures and knockdowns. Passes being knocked out of air last few games. Obviously helping keep oline off off James and Thomas who are hitting running forward.

With the latest play of our front 7, you'd hate to see him go and light it up elsewhere. All those draft picks on our D are starting to pay off! Sometimes it takes a few years for light to come on all the way. Maybe we can get him at a reasonable price for 3-4 more years!

LarryCanadian

With our free agency money, if all we can do is keep our key players, and Canty being one of them, and we just have room to add 1 or 2 free agents, then it will be a great off season. We have to keep Canty in Dallas. With it looking like he is beginning to really start to put it all together, he can be big in making our defense even more dominating next year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
If the numbers are reasonable like $4M/yr, I would do it - he is our only 3-4 DE who can rush the passer and the whole line has really come on against the run since the Seattle game.