Cap guys: Will we be able to afford all of these guys?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Overall I tend to agree with you. But it's hard to keep a straight face with that argument when you total 31 million in dead money this year.
Except we are 11m under the cap and left another 15m on the shelf

It is simple math.......interest free loans with a cashback bonus

Reaction score
Except we are 11m under the cap and left another 15m on the shelf

It is simple math.......interest free loans with a cashback bonus

Unless you needed 20 million this year and because of your awesome free loan diverting to next year you only have 11 million and you have to cut one of the best pass rushers your franchise has ever had...... But yeah, cashback bonus!

I get how it all works, My point is the money is not available to spend this year. We just happened to not really need the money this year, so it really didn't hurt us, but it has in the past.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Unless you needed 20 million this year and because of your awesome free loan diverting to next year you only have 11 million and you have to cut one of the best pass rushers your franchise has ever had...... But yeah, cashback bonus!

I get how it all works, My point is the money is not available to spend this year. We just happened to not really need the money this year, so it really didn't hurt us, but it has in the past.
If you know how it works you would be for it

KingRah

Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is a bit confusing to me. Will we be able to afford all of these guys in the next y1-2 years?

Dak
Cooper
Lawrence
Byron
Jaylon
It all depends on how honest they are about DAk. If they pay Dak based on his value instead if his position, hell take 21 million or less and help them build a strong team. He has to know he needs help. Does he want the quick money and no success or sustained success while still getting money from endorsements and winning.

jsb357

Reaction score
nope

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Players can be let go, players retire, players restructure contracts, players take longer term deals, you can defer money to later years.

Lots of ways to manage the cap, I think Stephen has finally figured out to to do it, as noted we get rid of Romo's $8.9 mil after this year, that alone is a big help...

jsb357

Reaction score
as noted we get rid of Romo's $8.9 mil after this year, that alone is a big help...

Tony Romo QB - - - - - $8,900,000
Dez Bryant WR - $8,000,000
Cedric Thornton DT - $2,500,000
Orlando Scandrick CB - $2,281,021
Nolan Carroll CB - $2,000,000
Deonte Thompson WR $1,790,000
Benson Mayowa DE - $1,100,000

endersdragon

Reaction score
DMurray had 3600 yds and 26 TDs in the 3 seasons after he left in a part-time role

He would have been fine in DAL
I am not saying he wouldn't have been fine in Dallas, just that Dallas didn't hesitate to get rid of a 2,200 yard rusher.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I am not saying he wouldn't have been fine in Dallas, just that Dallas didn't hesitate to get rid of a 2,200 yard rusher.

Thats was down to his age and how he set his value, IIRC we were happy to offer him around $6m per year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Jaylon did not get year of service his Rookie year his injury was NFI.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is a bit confusing to me. Will we be able to afford all of these guys in the next y1-2 years?

Dak
Cooper
Lawrence
Byron
Jaylon

Yes, Dallas will have close to 70mil next yr, and over 113 mil in 2020 in cap room

KingRah

Reaction score
If they have to make Zeke the highest paid player at running back....then he may need to go.
he's the best and one of the youngest. What type of message would you be sending to the rest of the team to build the offense around a guy have him play like a all pro lead the league at his position, but let him go and sign a guy he helped carry to a mega deal? Players are getting smarter about their money and gaining more leverage. It's a new day. The NBA did it years ago. The NFL is soon to follow. If Im a cowboys player who's locked up with the team, I look at Dak funny if he demands a mega deal and it costs us Zeke when they're friends. Dak owes the rookie of the year aware to Zeke. He owes a lot of his success to Zeke. Without Zeke, Dak doesnt play well in 2016 and Romo resumes his role. Romo would still be starting if we didn't have Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he's the best and one of the youngest. What type of message would you be sending to the rest of the team to build the offense around a guy have him play like a all pro lead the league at his position, but let him go and sign a guy he helped carry to a mega deal? Players are getting smarter about their money and gaining more leverage. It's a new day. The NBA did it years ago. The NFL is soon to follow. If Im a cowboys player who's locked up with the team, I look at Dak funny if he demands a mega deal and it costs us Zeke when they're friends. Dak owes the rookie of the year aware to Zeke. He owes a lot of his success to Zeke. Without Zeke, Dak doesnt play well in 2016 and Romo resumes his role. Romo would still be starting if we didn't have Zeke.

They will probably do it. I'm just not sure if its smart knowing what we know about running back. They need to step his carries down some if the plan is to keep him. They run him to the ground like he's only going to play throughout his contract.

KingRah

Reaction score
They will probably do it. I'm just not sure if its smart knowing what we know about running back. They need to step his carries down some if the plan is to keep him. They run him to the ground like he's only going to play throughout his contract.
How do you lower his carries? We do it two ways, by passing better and getting blowouts so he can rest the last few minutes. He can lower them by actually attempting to make a safety miss in the open field and taking a few more to the house. He had a chance Sunday. There was one guy to beat. He ran into him and got tackled. Even Jerome Bettis learn to make one guy miss every so often.