Cap guys: Will we be able to afford all of these guys?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How do you lower his carries? We do it two ways, by passing better and getting blowouts so he can rest the last few minutes. He can lower them by actually attempting to make a safety miss in the open field and taking a few more to the house. He had a chance Sunday. There was one guy to beat. He ran into him and got tackled. Even Jerome Bettis learn to make one guy miss every so often.

Or giving more carries to Rod Smith.

KingRah

Reaction score
Or giving more carries to Rod Smith.
I'd feel more comfortable doing that if the passing game was better and able to stand on its own. That way a punt won't doom us. Sak's not at that point in his development where he can lead us to tds without Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd feel more comfortable doing that if the passing game was better and able to stand on its own. That way a punt won't doom us. Sak's not at that point in his development where he can lead us to tds without Zeke.
Didn’t Dak do it on Sunday?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So then why don't you explain to me how great it worked for us in 2012-2017? Explain why it's a great plan to be 30 million in dead money.
First - It worked fine..... we were never unable to sign anyone

And that is with the cap STAYING at 123m from 2009 to 2013 which is unprecedented AND a 10m cap penalty for Miles Austin

You look silly stepping to me so strong when you know so little

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So then why don't you explain to me how great it worked for us in 2012-2017? Explain why it's a great plan to be 30 million in dead money.
If you create 50m in space and have 30m in Dead Money you have a positive gain of 20m in Cap Space

You have to break an egg or two to make an omelette

If you create 10m in cap space and have 0m in Dead Money you are only +10m
If you create 0m in cap space and have 0m in Dead Money you are stalled out and signing no one

Spending above the cap is smart policy for a team trying to win every year..... if you care more about accounting and Jerry's profits then you should worry about Dead Money and restructures

Jerry has a huge cash advantage and should use it as a weapon and not act like a small market GB team

Reaction score
First - It worked fine..... we were never unable to sign anyone

And that is with the cap STAYING at 123m from 2009 to 2013 which is unprecedented AND a 10m cap penalty for Miles Austin

You look silly stepping to me so strong when you know so little

First off you came at me all hostile and with some sort of entitled heir of superiority because I made a comment about the Cap. Where we got sideways is my comment about "It's hard to keep a straight face with the argument when you total 31 million in dead money" I wasn't questioning you.

I'm not trying to step to anyone, I 'was' trying to have a discussion with you. But apparently your high horse is so tall you can't engage or educate others with your superior wisdom.

I guess you couldn't see who I was alluding to with my DE comment. We couldn't afford Demarcus Ware because of the cap bungling. We couldn't afford Demarco Murray because of the cap bungling. In large part we had to let Leary go as well because we didn't have the money, it was tied up in the Romo dead money. Which by the way was a terrible bungling of resources, because he kept kicking that can down the road when that 'Guaranteed' money would have been paid years ago instead of paying for a player that is off the team. Why did he kick the can down the road? Because we had no cap room.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall premise at all because I understand the cap raises and based on simple percentages it's not always bad to punt money down the road. You missed all that though in your rush to make sure you are the Cap "God"

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
First off you came at me all hostile and with some sort of entitled heir of superiority because I made a comment about the Cap. Where we got sideways is my comment about "It's hard to keep a straight face with the argument when you total 31 million in dead money" I wasn't questioning you.

I'm not trying to step to anyone, I 'was' trying to have a discussion with you. But apparently your high horse is so tall you can't engage or educate others with your superior wisdom.

I guess you couldn't see who I was alluding to with my DE comment. We couldn't afford Demarcus Ware because of the cap bungling. We couldn't afford Demarco Murray because of the cap bungling. In large part we had to let Leary go as well because we didn't have the money, it was tied up in the Romo dead money. Which by the way was a terrible bungling of resources, because he kept kicking that can down the road when that 'Guaranteed' money would have been paid years ago instead of paying for a player that is off the team. Why did he kick the can down the road? Because we had no cap room.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall premise at all because I understand the cap raises and based on simple percentages it's not always bad to punt money down the road. You missed all that though in your rush to make sure you are the Cap "God"
You have 28 posts and 10 are in this thread

You decided to get froggy and started to mock my comments so I took you as another troll and you have done nothing to dissuade that notion

Your little snarky remarks were noted and responded to in kind

It doesn't help that you are 100% wrong in your analysis.... DWare, DMurray and RLeary were let go because their SALARIES were too high compared to their value.... it had nothing to do with the cap

DAL would have saved more cap room with DWare with a simple restructure than his release,,, he was coming off several down years to injury and we were switching back to a 4-3 so they thought he was expendable at 12m ...... and they were right.... we got Mincey and 6 sacks for 1m instead DWare for 12m

DMurray went to the highest bidder and RLeary was never worth 35m with his knees and he proved that in DEN

There was no cap bungling.... just some poor signings.....it is one of the biggest myths around here.... it was tight a couple years but we still signed FAs like Carr and Melton and GHardy and extended all of our stars like Romo and Tron and Dez and Church and Witten and Lee and Free and Ratliff and Austin and MBIII and RWilliams and TFred and TCrawford

KingRah

Reaction score
If you create 50m in space and have 30m in Dead Money you have a positive gain of 20m in Cap Space

You have to break an egg or two to make an omelette

If you create 10m in cap space and have 0m in Dead Money you are only +10m
If you create 0m in cap space and have 0m in Dead Money you are stalled out and signing no one

Spending above the cap is smart policy for a team trying to win every year..... if you care more about accounting and Jerry's profits then you should worry about Dead Money and restructures

Jerry has a huge cash advantage and should use it as a weapon and not act like a small market GB team
Romo and dez cone off the cap next year. Restructure Crawford

Reaction score
You have 28 posts and 10 are in this thread

You decided to get froggy and started to mock my comments so I took you as another troll and you have done nothing to dissuade that notion

Your little snarky remarks were noted and responded to in kind

It doesn't help that you are 100% wrong in your analysis.... DWare, DMurray and RLeary were let go because their SALARIES were too high compared to their value.... it had nothing to do with the cap

DAL would have saved more cap room with DWare with a simple restructure than his release,,, he was coming off several down years to injury and we were switching back to a 4-3 so they thought he was expendable at 12m ...... and they were right.... we got Mincey and 6 sacks for 1m instead DWare for 12m

DMurray went to the highest bidder and RLeary was never worth 35m with his knees and he proved that in DEN

There was no cap bungling.... just some poor signings.....it is one of the biggest myths around here.... it was tight a couple years but we still signed FAs like Carr and Melton and GHardy and extended all of our stars like Romo and Tron and Dez and Church and Witten and Lee and Free and Ratliff and Austin and MBIII and RWilliams and TFred and TCrawford

I guess sometimes it's hard to understand tone in text form. I will be willing to concede here and try to return to civility *cheers* I am not a troll and have come here looking for good debates and information in regards to the Cowboys. I can see where I came acroos snarky, my apologies.

Back on topic, I see where you are coming from in regards to Leary, but to me it's a matter of perspective where it did turn out to be the right move in terms of his knees and production. Demarcus Ware, they simply could not have afforded him. Demarcus didn't leave because of money alone, they could have done a deal that kept him here 'if' they had the money. They simply did not have the money and it was cheaper for the team to eat 6 million in dead money to release him. They let Demarco walk over 2 million dollars coming off the league leading rusher season. We fell off drastically in 2015 in the run game by 800 yards. They simply couldn't afford him, it didn't have anything to do with a decision. (That aside I think Demarco was a fool to walk away over 2 million which he easily could have made up in endorsements, but I digress)

Again I get your overall opinion and actually agree with it. Pushing money to next year can be a good thing and shouldn't always be viewed as bad. I totally agree with your percentages as a larger whole theory. We will just have to agree to disagree on whether it has hurt this team to the degree I feel it has. I contend that the salary cap issues did contribute to our last 21 years of having only 3 playoff wins, we simply couldn't afford to purchase and keep talent because of Jerry's poor cap management. Disclaimer: i am not talking about recent last few years because I think Stephen does a much better job.

My apologies

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I guess sometimes it's hard to understand tone in text form. I will be willing to concede here and try to return to civility *cheers* I am not a troll and have come here looking for good debates and information in regards to the Cowboys. I can see where I came acroos snarky, my apologies.

Back on topic, I see where you are coming from in regards to Leary, but to me it's a matter of perspective where it did turn out to be the right move in terms of his knees and production. Demarcus Ware, they simply could not have afforded him. Demarcus didn't leave because of money alone, they could have done a deal that kept him here 'if' they had the money. They simply did not have the money and it was cheaper for the team to eat 6 million in dead money to release him. They let Demarco walk over 2 million dollars coming off the league leading rusher season. We fell off drastically in 2015 in the run game by 800 yards. They simply couldn't afford him, it didn't have anything to do with a decision. (That aside I think Demarco was a fool to walk away over 2 million which he easily could have made up in endorsements, but I digress)

Again I get your overall opinion and actually agree with it. Pushing money to next year can be a good thing and shouldn't always be viewed as bad. I totally agree with your percentages as a larger whole theory. We will just have to agree to disagree on whether it has hurt this team to the degree I feel it has. I contend that the salary cap issues did contribute to our last 21 years of having only 3 playoff wins, we simply couldn't afford to purchase and keep talent because of Jerry's poor cap management. Disclaimer: i am not talking about recent last few years because I think Stephen does a much better job.

My apologies
its cool..... I get a lot of posters that just attack me nonstop because I have strong opinions and don't swim with the flow

i had the dead money debate 20x and argued it from every angle.... sorry I got so touchy

welcome to the board and look forward to some back and forth

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is going to cost 22-25 million a year
Lawrence will cost 18-20 million a year
Jones will cost 12-14 million a year
Cooper is going to cost 13-15 million a year
Zeke is going to cost 14-15 million a year
JAylon is going to cost 8-10 million a year

Don’t be surprised if they sign jaylon to an extension this offseason ( to try and save some money) because he’s likely to be even better next year.

Most of these will be 4 year deals.

Cooper and jones will be the ones who’s contracts will be the lengthiest. Jerry loves his WR’s and CB’s.

KingRah

Reaction score

Don’t be surprised if they sign jaylon to an extension this offseason ( to try and save some money) because he’s likely to be even better next year.
Dak wouldn’t get more than 21. Pay him a year early to get him to take less. Paying him 20 in 2019 when he’s scheduled for about 700 k should do it.

Cooper and jones will be the ones who’s contracts will be the lengthiest. Jerry loves his WR’s and CB’s.
Paying dak 20 in 2019 should help a lot. Then he’d take 21 for the next 5 years. He’s scheduled to get less than a million next year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I will never understand this. Makes NO damn sense. Greedy old man.
We have over 600m in revenues.....if cash flow is King then Jerry is the Emperor

Large signing bonuses, guarantees and restructures require a lot of cash and free up Cap Space so they can spend even more money improving the team.... we have the money so they should use it was a weapon and not act like they need a budget...... the cash is unlimited compared to other teams

There is no Cap on Coaches either....... why not get the best Staff and FO money can buy

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

If you have 10+ guys making 10m+ then it is always easy to create cap space ......you can cut or trade talent to open up tens of millions in Cap Space with ease..... keep kicking it down the road ...... we are 125m under the Cap in 2020 before any rollover

FWIW- the CBA ends after 2020 and teams may not want to have too much guaranteed money hanging out there if there is a lockout...... multi-year deals may not come so freely