Cap hell is coming

Praxit

Reaction score
We desperately need a fresh start anyways.

Dak’s contract needs to go.

Tyron needs to go.

Gallup needs to go.
.. Gallup is surely gone. Tyron maybe.

Dak not going anywhere

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well we all know what we have to do............................ I'll give you 4 tries!
You can’t do anything about it at all. It’s already dead money. You have no choice but re-sign them. And then the same thing four years from now except double the dead. Money. The only choice you have is to sit him try to draft a quarterback , pay in league minimum, and that will wash out Prescott’s dead money down the road. The issue is you might not win any games?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Exactly. The "cap hell" only arrives if Dallas cuts Dak or does not extend him, thus letting him play out this deal at an outrageous cost.

I know a lot fans hate him so much they want to see the team crater just to get rid of him. But if anyone is under the delusion that this will actually happen, I don't know what to say at this point.
It’s the only thing you can do if you want to get rid of the cap money. Suffer now or suffer later.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd rather not suffer at all. Smart teams figure that out.
Smart teams like LA that got rid of Goffe and won the Superbowl

NE that got rid of Bledsoe for Brady.

KC that dumped Smith for Mahones.

Were they smart teams?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. The "cap hell" only arrives if Dallas cuts Dak or does not extend him, thus letting him play out this deal at an outrageous cost.

I know a lot fans hate him so much they want to see the team crater just to get rid of him. But if anyone is under the delusion that this will actually happen, I don't know what to say at this point.
Exactly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Smart teams like LA that got rid of Goffe and won the Superbowl

NE that got rid of Bledsoe for Brady.

KC that dumped Smith for Mahones.

Were they smart teams?
Bledsoe was on the team with Brady.
Alex Smith was on the team with Mahomes.

Goff sucked so he did get traded for Stafford.

Brax

Reaction score
Just a matter of this season or next, but it is coming

But the cap $$$ mean nothing I read it here all the experts on cap management on CZ say you just kick it down the road and the the new cap money will take care of it. Funny thing is they never tell us why Dak is set to cost 60 million against the cap and the only out is resign him to another crippling contract. At some point the piper has to get paid, why not now?

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
I think we all know what the Cowboys will do. They are extending Dak.

If they wanted to blow it all up and start over they would have fired McCarthy. Instead it's obvious they want to run it all back and try, try again.
Still thinking keeping McCarthy was dumb, I bet Belichick, Harbaugh, or Vrabel could have gotten more out of this roster, even if we didn’t make a ton of changes to roster and just changes all the prep and detail and scheme. we wouldn’t need to blow it ALL up just getting a new coach…..wish that Jerry realized that.

Creeper

Reaction score
Zack Martin has $13.5 MM in restructuring bonus money pushed out into 2025, a voided year. DLaw has $7.45 million pushed out into 2025 as well. Whether Dallas extends their contracts or not, that's $21 million that hits the CAP. If they are extended, their new contracts would be on top of this pro-rated bonus money.

Dak has $25 million in bonus money pushed into 2025, one of the 2 voidable years on his contract. He has another $11 million pushed out to 2026. If they do not extend Dak, that money accelerates into 2025 and the Cowboys will take a $36 million CAP hit in 2025 on top of the $21 million from Martin and DLaw. In Daks case, if they extend him they can take $11 million in 2026 instead of 2025.

People who say the CAP is a myth are making the assumption that it is always managed well. But what happens if you decide not to extend Dak? I am certain Jerry anticipated he would extend Dak this year when he did Dak's first contract. I am also sure he did not consider cutting Dak in 2024 and eating $62 million in dead money. If that happens there is almost no way the Cowboys can avoid CAP jail for a year.