Cap people, help me out

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Si I am seeing that releasing Hopkins saved the Cards like 8 million against the cap. Then immediately after it says that they will hav like 21 million in dead money. can someone explain this to me. Doesnt the dead money count 100% against this years cap???

I think I just answered my own question. They would have had like 29 million count against the cap this year, so releasing him means they instead only have 21 million against cap?

Also, since he had 2 years left on his deal and was released... what is the impact , if any, of that contract moving forward. When he signs with a new team, does that contract somehow impact the new deal? Or is it just like he had no contract like OBJ and just signs a new deal and moves on?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Si I am seeing that releasing Hopkins saved the Cards like 8 million against the cap. Then immediately after it says that they will hav like 21 million in dead money. can someone explain this to me. Doesnt the dead money count 100% against this years cap???

I think I just answered my own question. They would have had like 29 million count against the cap this year, so releasing him means they instead only have 21 million against cap?

Also, since he had 2 years left on his deal and was released... what is the impact , if any, of that contract moving forward. When he signs with a new team, does that contract somehow impact the new deal? Or is it just like he had no contract like OBJ and just signs a new deal and moves on?
Hopkins signs a new deal and moves on. Arizona pays for any money owed him from his previous contract.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

His cap hit in dead money is $22.6m. The good news for the Cardinals is he’ll be off the books for 2024, when the team figures to be more competitive.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Yes you answered your own question: his cap hit had he not been released would have been the current dead money plus the amount of the cap savings from cutting him.

His Cardinals contract has no bearing on any team that signs him. The remaining term factors only into the amount of previously paid bonus money that gets accelerated and counts against Arizona’s cap (as a dead money cap hit) once he is released.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

As I understand it, it depends on what they did. If they did it as a 1 June cut, then I think half of it they eat this year, and half of it they eat next year. If they did an outright cut, then they'd be eating the whole cap hit this year. I suspect they made him a 1 June cut.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
As I understand it, it depends on what they did. If they did it as a 1 June cut, then I think half of it they eat this year, and half of it they eat next year. If they did an outright cut, then they'd be eating the whole cap hit this year. I suspect they made him a 1 June cut.
No they took the full cap hit this year.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
No they took the full cap hit this year.

This, as someone stated earlier, they think the following year will be better for them and they aren’t expecting much this year, so they are willing to eat all of it this year. They are doing the old 76’ers trust the process this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the Cardinals taking the full cap hit this year, it makes me wonder who else they will cut. Because they are totally in rebuild mode now.

I know our DB corp looks pretty good, but if they want to move Baker I'm interested.

blueblood70

Reaction score
With the Cardinals taking the full cap hit this year, it makes me wonder who else they will cut. Because they are totally in rebuild mode now.

I know our DB corp looks pretty good, but if they want to move Baker I'm interested.
same reason we cant add Hop is why baker is out. we are loaded at S just signed Wilson and have young guys in the wings. we can not afford a guy like him both in snaps or cap IMHO..it makes no sense. fact is our roster is nearly set, cap is nearly spent, adding vet maybe a Kicker or a LG are only places that would make sense to make a move.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Simply, the dead money counts…but they save the cash salary, which wasn’t guaranteed so it results in a net savings.

Just a matter of if they choose to spread the dead money over two seasons or one. If there was an actual cap savings, it probably needed to be a June 1 designation.

erod

Reaction score

They're tanking this season.

They'll cut Kyler Murray and draft Caleb Williams at this time next year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I'd imagine they're just getting started with trades and cuts too. They have 2 first round picks next year. I could see them doing an overhaul of their roster this year. Anything that can give them trade value, I could see them doing a bit of a fire sale like a Premier League team that's about to be relegated.

conner01

Reaction score

Cap hit and dead money aren’t the same but is confusing
Bleacher report has a good explanation of the difference

Reid1boys

Reaction score

no way, they just gave him crazy money. I bet his dead cap money would cripple them.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
no way, they just gave him crazy money. I bet his dead cap money would cripple them.
Based on how his contract is structured, they can trade him next offseason before the draft and take a 46m$ cap hit. He’ll count 51m$ on the cap if they keep him, so they’ll actually save 5m$ by trading him.

They have Houston and their own first round picks, which both could be top 5, if they get another for Kyler, that could be an insane draft for them

CWR

Reaction score

It's kind of like when Romo left and we had a couple years of dead money spread out. They saved some, but still have to account for guaranteed money.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

If so then they should have had more of a plan before they gave murray the big extension.

erod

Reaction score
If so then they should have had more of a plan before they gave murray the big extension.
There are some default items in that contract to possibly give them an out.

And when you're totally rebuilding, who cares about dead money?