Cap people, help me out

Creeper

Reaction score
A CAP save is just the amount that does not hit the CAP because he is not longer with the team. Let's say for argument's sake his CAP number for 2023 is $30 million. Let's say $20 million of that is prorated bonus money for this year and next. $10 million is his salary for 2023. They cut him so they do not owe him the $10 million salary (unless it is guaranteed). But they still have to take the $20 million against the CAP. So his CAP number is $20 million for this year, which is $10 million less than what it would have been if they did not cut him. So they get a $10 million CAP save and have $20 million in dead money, which is the money that hits the CAP even though he is no longer on the team.

If he is a June 1 cut they can divide his prorated bonus and take it against the CAP over the next two years. In 2023 they take whatever his prorated amount is for 2023. They take the rest of his pro-rated bonus in 2024 not matter how many years it is spread over.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There are some default items in that contract to possibly give them an out.

And when you're totally rebuilding, who cares about dead money?
I think they need to tank for 1 maybe 2 years to draft high, and if that is the plan why not cut murray now? or try to trade him even better.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
A CAP save is just the amount that does not hit the CAP because he is not longer with the team. Let's say for argument's sake his CAP number for 2023 is $30 million. Let's say $20 million of that is prorated bonus money for this year and next. $10 million is his salary for 2023. They cut him so they do not owe him the $10 million salary (unless it is guaranteed). But they still have to take the $20 million against the CAP. So his CAP number is $20 million for this year, which is $10 million less than what it would have been if they did not cut him. So they get a $10 million CAP save and have $20 million in dead money, which is the money that hits the CAP even though he is no longer on the team.

If he is a June 1 cut they can divide his prorated bonus and take it against the CAP over the next two years. In 2023 they take whatever his prorated amount is for 2023. They take the rest of his pro-rated bonus in 2024 not matter how many years it is spread over.
what about trading him?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cap hit and dead money aren’t the same but is confusing
Bleacher report has a good explanation of the difference
last i checked the dead money does count again the cap , but it was already paid out or owed to player, Player can be gone, his regular cap hit can goes with him but dead can NOT. Dead stays against the team cap...

conner01

Reaction score
last i checked the dead money does count again the cap , but it was already paid out or owed to player, Player can be gone, his regular cap hit can goes with him but dead can NOT. Dead stays against the team cap...
It does count against cap but it’s not the same thing. Generally it’s usually money from spreading out signing bonus’s. It’s gotten more common recent years with voidable years bonus money is spread into, like Dak has and others.
Cap hits can go away if it’s salary for example and you cut the player, unless it’s guaranteed
Dead money hits have really grown as salaries have risen and so many guys have part of the signing bonus spread out in years they aren’t even still on the team

Creeper

Reaction score
what about trading him?
Trading him is basically the same thing except the team that takes him would pay his salary under his current contract. The only difference from cutting the player is if the salary is guaranteed. If the player is cut, the team that cuts him must pay him his guaranteed salary and that salary hits their CAP number. If the team trades the player then his new team pay his guaranteed salary and his old team gets a CAP save equal to his salary amount.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Si I am seeing that releasing Hopkins saved the Cards like 8 million against the cap. Then immediately after it says that they will hav like 21 million in dead money. can someone explain this to me. Doesnt the dead money count 100% against this years cap???

I think I just answered my own question. They would have had like 29 million count against the cap this year, so releasing him means they instead only have 21 million against cap?

Also, since he had 2 years left on his deal and was released... what is the impact , if any, of that contract moving forward. When he signs with a new team, does that contract somehow impact the new deal? Or is it just like he had no contract like OBJ and just signs a new deal and moves on?
I have a hard time getting fired up about anything Cowboys this time of year. I'd rather go outside, and revisit this stuff in August. That's just me.