Cap ramifications of tagging and trading Dak?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
nobody is going to take on his wants. [40 million and some new nikes] The only team that will do this is a team that only cares about selling dak crap. The cowboys. So Jerry, go ahead and sign him. I'll be here laughing my butt off about this team for 4 or 5 more years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So tank next year on the hopes that maybe you can sign people 2 years from now and find a QB 2 years from now. Of course in 2 years there will be a lot of teams with cap room, given how the cap will bounce back up, so that sort of is a catch 22 there as well

The root problem for Dallas is they can easily afford to sign all of their core FAs over the next 2-3 years because outside of Dak they have drafted none. Building through FA almost never works so you will have a bunch of cap space that will go towards buying players who will likely not produce and now you are locked into more big contracts.

This is the problem. It's like an entire fan base that somehow thinks the team can do nothing without Dak Prescott. What does everybody think the team did to get 5 championships when Dak wasn't here, I wonder?

So, you say the Cowboys can easily afford to sign all of their FAs over the next 2 to 3 years. What proof do you have of this? I mean, we just let a pretty good DB that we could have really used, that would have made us better, walk, because "we couldn't afford him".

Believe what you wish but history does not support your position here.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
nobody is going to take on his wants. [40 million and some new nikes] The only team that will do this is a team that only cares about selling dak crap. The cowboys. So Jerry, go ahead and sign him. I'll be here laughing my butt off about this team for 4 or 5 more years.

You have no proof that is actually the case.

He will be the best veteran free agent quarterback to hit the market and near a decade and there will be near a dozen teams in need of a quarterback that will bid.

Market competition is what it is.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
This is the problem. It's like an entire fan base that somehow thinks the team can do nothing without Dak Prescott. What does everybody think the team did to get 5 championships when Dak wasn't here, I wonder?

So, you say the Cowboys can easily afford to sign all of their FAs over the next 2 to 3 years. What proof do you have of this? I mean, we just let a pretty good DB that we could have really used, that would have made us better, walk, because "we couldn't afford him".

The Cowboys just insist on playing hardball with their players. They did the same thing with Amari Cooper after giving up a first to get him a year and a half ago. The only reason Amari was able to come back was he accepted a discount. The Cowboys definitely could have retained Byron Jones especially since they paid out money early to players that didn't even need to be paid yet. The same thing is true in real life. If you don't know how to manage your money, you will squander whatever money you have.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Cowboys just insist on playing hardball with their players. They did the same thing with Amari Cooper after giving up a first to get him a year and a half ago. The only reason Amari was able to come back was he accepted a discount. The Cowboys definitely could have retained Byron Jones especially since they paid out money early to players that didn't even need to be paid yet. The same thing is true in real life. If you don't know how to manage your money, you will squander whatever money you have.

Oh, they could have, at the cost of Dak perhaps. They could have, had they elected not to pay Zeke, but they could not have paid all of them. But you can also make the argument that if Dak and his agent has simply accepted the deal that was on the table last offseason, they could have afforded to keep him as well. You could make the argument that if Zeke or "insert player name here" would not have demanded more money early, they could have signed him but none of those things happened. The door swings both ways on that deal perhaps. The point is that the team made conscious decisions on where to spend money and the Defense was not it. Thats the truth of it and it pretty much always has been. This team has always valued Offense over Defense.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Oh, they could have, at the cost of Dak perhaps. They could have, had they elected not to pay Zeke, but they could not have paid all of them. But you can also make the argument that if Dak and his agent has simply accepted the deal that was on the table last offseason, they could have afforded to keep him as well. You could make the argument that if Zeke or "insert player name here" would not have demanded more money early, they could have signed him but none of those things happened. The door swings both ways on that deal perhaps. The point is that the team made conscious decisions on where to spend money and the Defense was not it. Thats the truth of it and it pretty much always has been. This team has always valued Offense over Defense.

Just because Zeke makes a demand doesn't mean you have to acquiesce. That was still their decision to make, just like it was their decision to pay Dak or not. My point is if the front office hasn't shown the ability to make good decisions with the money they have, throwing more money at it is not likely to make things any better.

Adreme

Reaction score

Um in the 90s the team took advantage of knowledge of how the salary cap was going to work and prepared ahead of time to maneuver a bunch of top end talent under the cap so that at the same time they could have a HoF, QB,RB, WR and very solid defense.

I think the team can do nothing without a QB on the level of Dak because well teams do not do anything without a QB on Dak's level. Citing the fact that when they had a different HoF QB they won sort of proves my point though. You need top tier QB play to win ESPECIALLY today in the NFL. So yes not only does history support my position, but also it requires a complete rewriting of the past 30 years to think you can win the NFL without a QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just because Zeke makes a demand doesn't mean you have to acquiesce. That was still their decision to make, just like it was their decision to pay Dak or not. My point is if the front office hasn't shown the ability to make good decisions with the money they have, throwing more money at it is not likely to make things any better.

Right but we all know this already. I mean, that's the Dak 40 mil AAV discussion all over again.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Um in the 90s the team took advantage of knowledge of how the salary cap was going to work and prepared ahead of time to maneuver a bunch of top end talent under the cap so that at the same time they could have a HoF, QB,RB, WR and very solid defense.

I think the team can do nothing without a QB on the level of Dak because well teams do not do anything without a QB on Dak's level. Citing the fact that when they had a different HoF QB they won sort of proves my point though. You need top tier QB play to win ESPECIALLY today in the NFL. So yes not only does history support my position, but also it requires a complete rewriting of the past 30 years to think you can win the NFL without a QB.

Um....... were you even a fan during the 90s because that's not what happened at all. That's why, when the 2000s came along, we had Quincy Carter as our QB.

The Washington Commanders made the playoffs and played a close game against Tampa Bay in the first round with Taylor Heinicke. So yeah, you do need somebody to play QB for you but it doesn't have to be a guy who is getting paid 20% of the overall cap.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score

Is hardball when you pay top dollar to average players just because they sell a lot of jerseys?

Adreme

Reaction score
Um....... were you even a fan during the 90s because that's not what happened at all. That's why, when the 2000s came along, we had Quincy Carter as our QB.

The Washington Commanders made the playoffs and played a close game against Tampa Bay in the first round with Taylor Heinicke. So yeah, you do need somebody to play QB for you but it doesn't have to be a guy who is getting paid 20% of the overall cap.

First, that is exactly what happened. They had a bunch of players that they would not have been able to fit under the cap if not for some clever maneuvering ahead of time. Reality is what it is and the fact that they thought to pull it off does not take away from the victory, though it does mean that when talking about the salary cap era you should probably start around 97 or 98 and when talking about the modern passing era you should probably start around 03-05.

Boring stuff out of the way lets play the history game.

First we can look at this year: Who is in the final 4 (better metric than trying to use SB winner because sample size is too small): Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, and Allen. 3 already elite QBs and 1 who is rising. Last year you had Mahomes, Rodgers, Tannehil, and Jimmy G. In this case you had 2 elite QBs and two who were playing well, but certainly not at the elite level (though both had very elite players around them on rookie deals). The year before you have Brady, Mahomes, Brees, and Goff: 3 elite QBs and one having an elite year (love him or hate him he was). I would keep going back to the year 2000, but honestly I have a lot to do today (though if you want I could probably put something together tomorrow to analyze all playoff QB going back to 2005 and compare the teams with elite QBs to those without them in terms of results), but the trend lines remain clear. Either be awful for so several years and happen to succeed in multiple drafts with that high position (the road the 49ers took and the one the Browns are on now) to get a couple years as a contender before fading away, or have an actual QB and be a consistent contender year after year.

Adreme

Reaction score

The deal Amari signed was not a discount. NO ONE was paying him 20m per year. He would have been lucky to get 15 on the open market. The WR market was not going to pay 20m to a WR who is universally not accepted as top 5 when there was, and is again this year, a VERY deep WR class upcoming. The Cowboys bid against themselves and paid an extra 5m per year for it. EVERYONE who saw that deal knew the Cowboys overpaid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First, that is exactly what happened. They had a bunch of players that they would not have been able to fit under the cap if not for some clever maneuvering ahead of time. Reality is what it is and the fact that they thought to pull it off does not take away from the victory, though it does mean that when talking about the salary cap era you should probably start around 97 or 98 and when talking about the modern passing era you should probably start around 03-05.

Boring stuff out of the way lets play the history game.

First we can look at this year: Who is in the final 4 (better metric than trying to use SB winner because sample size is too small): Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, and Allen. 3 already elite QBs and 1 who is rising. Last year you had Mahomes, Rodgers, Tannehil, and Jimmy G. In this case you had 2 elite QBs and two who were playing well, but certainly not at the elite level (though both had very elite players around them on rookie deals). The year before you have Brady, Mahomes, Brees, and Goff: 3 elite QBs and one having an elite year (love him or hate him he was). I would keep going back to the year 2000, but honestly I have a lot to do today (though if you want I could probably put something together tomorrow to analyze all playoff QB going back to 2005 and compare the teams with elite QBs to those without them in terms of results), but the trend lines remain clear. Either be awful for so several years and happen to succeed in multiple drafts with that high position (the road the 49ers took and the one the Browns are on now) to get a couple years as a contender before fading away, or have an actual QB and be a consistent contender year after year.

So the answer is, not long, as to how long you have been a Cowboy Fan? What you post above is not the entire story, it's not even close. But that's fine. You don't have to have been a Cowboy fan then but you really should listen to people who were and actually learn. Clever maneuvering? Salary cap started in 94 and everybody knew it was coming, especially Jerry since at least 92. So this whole 97/98 thing is wrong.

The modern passing game really started in the early 70s. Like 73/74 when OLs were allowed to extend their arms and use their hands. That's when it started but if you want to pick 03 or 05, that's up to you. It's not right but it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

All the rest of your post is bias. You base it on "elite" QBs but there is no proof that Dak is elite. He is not Mahomes, Rodgers or Brady. Allen works because of the team around him and the fact that his cap number is low. The whole, "Up and coming thing" is fluff. In fact, he's a perfect example of why you shouldn't be afraid of drafting QBs.

So again, this is all great but it's not true. I'll give you another chance here, when did you start being a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, or really, the NFL?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The deal Amari signed was not a discount. NO ONE was paying him 20m per year. He would have been lucky to get 15 on the open market. The WR market was not going to pay 20m to a WR who is universally not accepted as top 5 when there was, and is again this year, a VERY deep WR class upcoming. The Cowboys bid against themselves and paid an extra 5m per year for it. EVERYONE who saw that deal knew the Cowboys overpaid.

Washington offered $23 million a year

Flamma

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't believe for a second that some team is going to want to trade for Dak by giving up 1st rounders and paying him a fortune.

vicjagger

Reaction score
The cap ramification would be extremely positive. The on field ramification, not so much.

Adreme

Reaction score
Washington offered $23 million a year

"source". Meanwhile the rest of the actual WR deals actually signed by actual players which can actually be verified showed that WRs were making drastically less than the expected value last offseason with the SOLE exception being Amari who made several million more than his expected value.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
"source". Meanwhile the rest of the actual WR deals actually signed by actual players which can actually be verified showed that WRs were making drastically less than the expected value last offseason with the SOLE exception being Amari who made several million more than his expected value.
Which contracts are those?

Edit: This article seems to contradict your assertion that wide receivers are suddenly getting paid less.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...fl-ranking-wrs-salary-2020-season/4953433002/