Cap Space Gained

HungryLion

Reaction score
Whine all you want. I choose not to live in the past.
I just stir it up as I find it hilarious at times.

But that is all what is mentioned on here...wahhh, past 26 years, wah....
Try looking at what is going on now, and possibly the team will improve. But that is just me.

It just the constant whining brings this place down, and is laughed at.

Constant whining sure.

but nobody can objectively look at this cowboys off-season and believe the cowboys front office is actively trying to win a title this season. You just can’t do it. They have not done anything to get better this year.

Fans have a right to be pissed about it. The team is going into mini rebuild/ soft tank mode this season. It’s clear and obvious. Fans don’t have to like that, especially when it’s been so damn long since they won anything.

even in your post I am quoting. You are saying look at the now. Yet in other posts you are calling it whining when fans criticize the off-season moves made this year. That’s kind of an inconsistent stance.

Flamma

Reaction score
Constant whining sure.

but nobody can objectively look at this cowboys off-season and believe the cowboys front office is actively trying to win a title this season. You just can’t do it. They have not done anything to get better this year.

Fans have a right to be pissed about it. The team is going into mini rebuild/ soft tank mode this season. It’s clear and obvious. Fans don’t have to like that, especially when it’s been so damn long since they won anything.

even in your post I am quoting. You are saying look at the now. Yet in other posts you are calling it whining when fans criticize the off-season moves made this year. That’s kind of an inconsistent stance.

I agree completely. But they haven't actively been trying to win a title for some time. They have repeated this offseason process since 2016. Might have been longer than that, because when I whined about doing nothing after our 13-3 season on the old forum, people told me to shut my pie hole. So maybe it's been going on longer than that. I didn't pay this close attention to detail prior to 2016.

Proof

Reaction score
They didn't want Cooper any longer. He was paid like a top 5 WR and produced like a #2 or #3 WR. They needed his cap space to lock up a young talented Gallup and are reportedly looking to trade for another WR. Cooper was wearing real thin on me and I'm glad he is gone. Whatever the reason was, Dak couldn't get him the ball enough to keep paying him that money and lose Gallup in the process. Best move they made this offseason. Wish they could have got more back in the trade but that's just more proof of how far Cooper had fallen.

they could have kept amari and retained gallup lol. all it's proof of is how poorly run the team is. whether you liked cooper or not, thought he was overpaid or not, they had more than enough money to pay him and do what else they've done. all they accomplished is getting worse, and creating more holes and more needs.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So, the obvious question has to be asked…what are these dunces hoarding salary cap for?

fwiw, while next year we probably won't start the year off *over* the cap, it may be a slightly worse cap situation

the opportunities to create more space via restructuring won't be there. Dak probably can't reasonable restructure next year and a few guys like Zack Martin and Tyron Smith aren't really good candidates

Now you may be asking, why restructure this year and increase their cap hit next year?

Given how much we're past COVID, there's a good chance the cap explodes next year and the amount that we increased a few guys cap hits in 2023 is a much smaller percentage against the total cap than keeping their salary the same in 2022

Just a guess

and obviously, unused cap space in 2022 can roll over

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Getting rid of an overpaid but talented player accomplishes nothing if you dont use the money he was making and invest it into another position to improve your team. That's the whole point of this thread.

It seems like the front office and certain fans dont have much of a plan other than, ewww this guy annoys me; we have to get rid of him.

Exactly, one must find a replacement if a player is to be jettisoned.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry is like scrooge mcduc
He can swin in his money, he's got so much.

I can see it

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So fans go from whining about being too far over the cap (as if it was their money), and now are whining about being under the cap (since it is not their money).
And yes it is mostly the same fans.

Fickle whiny fans. :lmao2:
I believe the question is why have the available cap and not try and at least bring in some OL help like Tretter.
Why wouldn't you try and address a position of need, especially after investing in Dak so heavily, wouldn't it be wise to solidify the middle of this OL?
Thats why most are shaking their heads.

Reactions: CWR

ESisback

Reaction score
I believe the question is why have the available cap and not try and at least bring in some OL help like Tretter.
Why wouldn't you try and address a position of need, especially after investing in Dak so heavily, wouldn't it be wise to solidify the middle of this OL?
Thats why most are shaking their heads.
My speculation? They like Ball and Farniok, they draft one or two, and they grab a vet FA between now and TC.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It seems to me like Cooper and Collins were cut literally because the staff didn't like them. Collins is a good player on a market deal and Coop's deal looks a heck of a lot better after free agency. There was nothing to be gained by cutting them, you weren't going to use that money any better. Then we rolled some money to resign Randy Gregory but then lost that trying to screw him.

The FO is pathologically cheap in FA, so I guess they're just not gonna sign anyone and roll the cap space to 2023.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My speculation? They like Ball and Farniok, they draft one or two, and they grab a vet FA between now and TC.
Thats certainly what camp is for, find out what you have in Ball and Farniok and hopefully a couple of rook OL, but again why not solidify a position of need with a proven vet like Tretter that would instantly upgrade this OL now.
If we hit with Ball or Farniok maybe a rook, than great, this OL is back in the game.

ESisback

Reaction score
Thats certainly what camp is for, find out what you have in Ball and Farniok and hopefully a couple of rook OL, but again why not solidify a position of need with a proven vet like Tretter that would instantly upgrade this OL now.
If we hit with Ball or Farniok maybe a rook, than great, this OL is back in the game.
I’d like to have Tretter too. It seems like a smart move. I’m just not gonna get depressed or mad if they don’t. I’m just not 100% convinced that what some fans want is the only route to success.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’d like to have Tretter too. It seems like a smart move. I’m just not gonna get depressed or mad if they don’t. I’m just not 100% convinced that what some fans want is the only route to success.
I gave up getting depressed or mad about what this FO does a while back.
I will always be a fan of this team, Im just not as emotional as I was back in the day.