Twitter: Carl Lawson (Auburn DE) wants Dallas to draft him

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The more I watch this kid the more I'm on Lawson big. I think he will be the best pass rusher available at 28. He's got great bend and speed around the edge, traits we're sorely lacking.

He won't make it to 60. I like him over Takk. Think he has a chance to be dynamic

marchetta

Reaction score
Carl Lawson ER Auburn

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Carl is an OLB/DE hybrid, or as well now call them an Edge Rusher. He has the size and agility to be used as a cover linebacker, and the speed to run down RBs on screens and sweeps.behind the LOS. He's a very smart player, and knows how to set up OLmen in order to later in the game make that impact play. His hand use is his best attribute. He is the best player, in this draft, at shedding, and disengaging, blockers, and bending around the corner to make the sack. He does this by his excellent agility, hand use, and intelligence to set up OLmen. He's smooth and efficient in his play, and plays with very little wasted motion. Even though he tends to be a long strider, his quick feet allow him to use excellent juke moves to get OLmen off balance. His juke moves are about as good as a RB in the open field. He can play in any defense. But, his best position would be as a OLB/DE 3/4 defense.

CONCERNS
Carl has had some medical issues in the past that could affect his draft status if teams are not happy with the results. He's not stout, and can be pushed around if an OLman gets his hands on him. But, better technique work and NFL conditioning should make that a non-issue. The key will be his medical evaluation. Also, teams running a 3/4 defense may rate him higher than teams running 4/3 defense.

BOTTOM LINE
Carl is very talented, but he has medical issues that have to be addressed. He can become a big time impact pass rusher for the team that selects him but he needs to build up his strength in both the lower and upper body to do this. He has good techniques but he can be too cerebral for his own good. Sometimes he's thinking to much instead of just reacting, which causes him to allow the play dictated to him rather than dictating and disrupting they play. This causes him to appear to be playing cautious. This may be a mental issue that's a result from his injuries. If a team invests the time to build his strength up, and allows him the time to regain his confidence from his injuries, he'll be as good as any Edge Rusher in the NFL. But, it will take time and grooming. If Carl’s medicals and workouts are good it would not surprise me if he is selected higher than I have him rated.

- Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]

reddyuta

Reaction score
Carl Lawson ER Auburn

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Carl is an OLB/DE hybrid, or as well now call them an Edge Rusher. He has the size and agility to be used as a cover linebacker, and the speed to run down RBs on screens and sweeps.behind the LOS. He's a very smart player, and knows how to set up OLmen in order to later in the game make that impact play. His hand use is his best attribute. He is the best player, in this draft, at shedding, and disengaging, blockers, and bending around the corner to make the sack. He does this by his excellent agility, hand use, and intelligence to set up OLmen. He's smooth and efficient in his play, and plays with very little wasted motion. Even though he tends to be a long strider, his quick feet allow him to use excellent juke moves to get OLmen off balance. His juke moves are about as good as a RB in the open field. He can play in any defense. But, his best position would be as a OLB/DE 3/4 defense.

CONCERNS
Carl has had some medical issues in the past that could affect his draft status if teams are not happy with the results. He's not stout, and can be pushed around if an OLman gets his hands on him. But, better technique work and NFL conditioning should make that a non-issue. The key will be his medical evaluation. Also, teams running a 3/4 defense may rate him higher than teams running 4/3 defense.

BOTTOM LINE
Carl is very talented, but he has medical issues that have to be addressed. He can become a big time impact pass rusher for the team that selects him but he needs to build up his strength in both the lower and upper body to do this. He has good techniques but he can be too cerebral for his own good. Sometimes he's thinking to much instead of just reacting, which causes him to allow the play dictated to him rather than dictating and disrupting they play. This causes him to appear to be playing cautious. This may be a mental issue that's a result from his injuries. If a team invests the time to build his strength up, and allows him the time to regain his confidence from his injuries, he'll be as good as any Edge Rusher in the NFL. But, it will take time and grooming. If Carl’s medicals and workouts are good it would not surprise me if he is selected higher than I have him rated.

- Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]
I agree with this assessment.his first step and hand usage is outstanding and would make an instant impact for us at RDE.the only problem is his injury history but our FO has taken some risks like with Lee.

Reaction score
And he's DL #28 for the combine.

If you asked me to give you three players most likely to be the pick at 28 should the Cowboys actually pick there I would say Peppers, Harris or Lawson.

Harris is head & shoulders better than Lawson. If he's not there, & all of the rest of the best rush men are gone, I take Peppers. He's such a great athlete, he probably won't have any trouble becoming a Pro Bowl SS.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Harris is head & shoulders better than Lawson. If he's not there, & all of the rest of the best rush men are gone, I take Peppers. He's such a great athlete, he probably won't have any trouble becoming a Pro Bowl SS.
Harris, Basham and Takk would have to be gone for me to take Peppers.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I don't agree.Lawson is a much more polished pass rusher.without his injury issues he would be out of our reach at 28.