Carp or Manny

burmafrd

Reaction score
that seems to be the choice. One is ready now but probably does not have a lot of potential for growth; the other needs experience and learning but probably has a higher ceiling. Carp is heavier; Manny is taller; Carp is stronger, Manny is faster. carp has the experience.
Both toiled in the shadow of higher ranked team mates. though it is interesting that Manny was twice voted by his team mates the most valuable lineman - over Williams. Carpenter from what I hear was called the steady one vs the flashy one (Hawk). If both are there at #18 I think the choice will be pretty tough. Considering that BP wants to win NOW it seems obvious that he would pick Carp; BUT the speed of Lawson has to make him think about it. Whoever we pick has GOT to be able to rush the QB to give the Offenses someone other then Ware to consider. BUT stopping the run is just as important to BP and clearly Carpenter is better there. Manny does have some experience as a fresh and soph playing LB so he is not totally in the dark.
Personally I would rather Lawson for the potential and the speed. BUT I would have no problem with Carpenter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dallas goes LB then I say Carpenter but would not be upset with Lawson

acheman

Reaction score
While I am not a huge Carpenter fan myself, I think the club will, and probably should, take him over Lawson if the choice is between these two.

blindzebra

Reaction score
In an ideal world both are there and we have the same choice we had last year with Ware and Merriman.

Hopefully Cleveland and Miami don't screw up that ideal world.

acheman

Reaction score
Well if they do then Wimbley should still be there, and I have no problem taking him to play opposite Ware.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I hope all three are there, I trust Bill/Ireland to make the right call. I believe they did last year with Ware.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I personally expect much of this board to be ticked off after our pick one way or the other.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
In an ideal world both are there and we have the same choice we had last year with Ware and Merriman.

Hopefully Cleveland and Miami don't screw up that ideal world.
That is what scaring the **** out of me.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Derinyar said:
I personally expect much of this board to be ticked off after our pick one way or the other.
That will happen for sure if they trade down.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I take Carpenter. Lawson is more of an up-the-field go forward rusher, which is great, but which is something I already have. For my strongside I want Carpenter, because he knows how to play LB more, can cover the TEs and RBs and stop the run.

If Justice is within 3 picks of me, though, I don't take a LBer in the first.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ware knows how to play LB, he isn't this one dimensional player some are trying to make him out to be. Lawson and Wimbley can learn too and its not like Carpenter isn't going to have to learn a lot when making the jump to nfl schemes and talent.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Ware knows how to play LB, he isn't this one dimensional player some are trying to make him out to be. Lawson and Wimbley can learn too and its not like Carpenter isn't going to have to learn a lot when making the jump to nfl schemes and talent.

Nobody said he was - but it is undeniable that his forte is going forward. That's why we drafted him.

Carpenter come with the experience of playing in space and at the point - he isn't a run forward first type player.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
I take Carpenter. Lawson is more of an up-the-field go forward rusher, which is great, but which is something I already have. For my strongside I want Carpenter, because he knows how to play LB more, can cover the TEs and RBs and stop the run.

If Justice is within 3 picks of me, though, I don't take a LBer in the first.

I agree. Carpenter helps now, all over the field. Why take a chance Lawson will "learn" the other duties. Also, speed in youth can cover up flaws. Soon, if you do not develop those other skills, those flaws will come out. I'm not saying Lawson has these flaws, probably just needs the experience he did not get in college, but Carpenter did. I'll go with the experience. Because in 5 years they may be bolting for FA, so why train him for another team. We can get 5 years of production right now. However, I will not be on here complaining if we take Lawson, or someone else, or trade down.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I think the cowboys will draft manny lawson if wimbley is gone by 18 and they cant trade down. The reason why is jerry jones said their looking for more of a tweeter guy (lawson) and parcells like big guys with speed (lawson) and lawson is just as strong if not stronger than carpenter who bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times while lawson bench pressed 225 23 times. So even though carpenter probably will be a safer and a better play now pick. But with ware and lawson playing aside each other and teams dont kno whos going to blitz and even adding in akin ayodele that would be just crazy. oh yeah and i think dallas might move ware to the otherside since he is pretty good vs the run and we saw him covering tight ends and wide outs last year.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Carpenter isn't stronger.

You base that one ONE lift at the combine? A lift that doesn't even measure strength (it measures muscle endurance)?

The reason why is jerry jones said their looking for more of a tweeter guy

Since when do GMs make it a habit to announce to the rest of the NFL what player, or type of player, they plan on drafting?

For all we know they plan on drafting a WR or OL.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
that seems to be the choice. One is ready now but probably does not have a lot of potential for growth; the other needs experience and learning but probably has a higher ceiling. Carp is heavier; Manny is taller; Carp is stronger, Manny is faster. carp has the experience.
Both toiled in the shadow of higher ranked team mates. though it is interesting that Manny was twice voted by his team mates the most valuable lineman - over Williams. Carpenter from what I hear was called the steady one vs the flashy one (Hawk). If both are there at #18 I think the choice will be pretty tough. Considering that BP wants to win NOW it seems obvious that he would pick Carp; BUT the speed of Lawson has to make him think about it. Whoever we pick has GOT to be able to rush the QB to give the Offenses someone other then Ware to consider. BUT stopping the run is just as important to BP and clearly Carpenter is better there. Manny does have some experience as a fresh and soph playing LB so he is not totally in the dark.
Personally I would rather Lawson for the potential and the speed. BUT I would have no problem with Carpenter.

so to make a long story short, you can't decide either :D

what is missing from all these discussions is coverage, that's a huge requirement of our OLBs, and that may be the biggest factor of all in deciding who Dallas chooses