Carpenter's Attitude

superpunk

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
That's one reason why I preferred Merriman over Ware and it was due to the attitude. Merriman just came across as one of those guys that was just going to try to rip your head off as each and every snap as compared to Ware just being there.

I thought that too. One thing I've decided might have contributed to Ware's seemingly unassuming, nice guy attitude on the field was his lack of familiarity with the position. Hard to get angry, and in people's face when you're adjusting to an entirely new position. I really think we saw a little more "nasty" from Ware as the year progressed - playing like a madman against Carolina, and body-slamming Marshall Faulk. That was nasty. I hope his continued progress within his role and position results in him getting even nastier.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
50cent said:
Thanks! BTW, my blood boils everytime I think about that hit on Witten. It truly pisses me off that we did nothing.

50, if that's the hit i'm thinking of (witten got hit by someone else, spun a little and got hit by marcus washington), i honestly think it was not really dirty. i know this will be looked at as homerism, but wittens foot was half on the white, half in bounds and he was moving forward. i think it looked worse cuz washington hit him when he was a little off balance due to the first hit. for the record, marcus washington has no rep at all for being dirty.

its one of those hits that you think is cheap if youre a boys fan and clean if youre a skins fan.

i'll see if i can find a video clip of it and double check it. i apologise if i'm wrong.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
50cent said:
Thanks! BTW, my blood boils everytime I think about that hit on Witten. It truly pisses me off that we did nothing.

if we had some "something" would it have resulted in a personal foul?

superpunk

Reaction score
iceberg said:
if we had some "something" would it have resulted in a personal foul?

Good point. But still, that fire isn't always there.

Hoov

Reaction score
I like carpenter too because he is a physical, hitting, in your face aggressive LB type.

But to the original point of this thread.....carpenter is on defense. Our defensive players will not be on the field against the other teams defense, so what we need is offensive players that get fired up.

If someone cheapshots an offensive player, you need a nasty ** that will start running over the other teams defensive players. An E Williams type of OLineman and a wr like Irvin. You can bet Irvin would have been talking up some **** to the opponenets after a play like that.

Hopefully TO and Fasano will bring that !!!

notherbob

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting watching Carp and Shockey go nose to nose.

hendog

Reaction score
50cent said:
Many of you already know that I was on the Carpenter bandwagon from go. I have been pissed at the Cowboys ever since the Commanders game in DC. If you didn't know, my sig says it all. During the game, Witten was rocked on our sideline for a personal foul against the Commanders and not one Cowboys fought back. Your pro-bowl TE gets leveled on your sideline and not one guy even attempted to beat the ^*%$ out of Washington(Player, not team) for the hit. That one play haunted me for the rest of the season and simply made me Carps number one fan and draftee prospect.

Now comes word that one team took Carp off of their draft board for being too cocky and in your face type of a guy. I say, thats exactly what we need. Thats also the reason I wanted this guy, because he will not back down from anything. You add his attitude plus the T.O. factor to our teams mentality, we are now set to make a run. I'm not saying we will win it, but we damn sure won't get punked or back down anymore. This was a much needed addition for the entire team.

I don't condone anyone trying to hurt someone, but teams don't respect you if you don't stand up for yourself. Washington sensed that and took full advantage of us. Its almost the Phoenix Suns syndrome. The have gotten punked for 4 games and finally someone decided to stand their ground vs. Kobe. Carp will stand his ground and in the process if he decides to get in a couple of his teammates face for not playing tough, then do it. We have too many nice guys on defense and its time to start smacking some people. Not to intentionally hurt someone, but to impose our will on other teams instead of the other way around.

Great post. I've posted the same thing b-4 about 3 months ago in my famous "Who's the leader of our Defense?" post that about 3 or 4 people read.LOL. That's exactly why I wanted Carp as well and Merriman over Ware. Defense is all about attitude. It's a different mentality. It's like what Ivan Dragovich told Rocky -"I must break you!"

Garret

Reaction score
I am a little younger than most who post on here.As I was reading this post it got me thinking. Who are so other guys on the D side of the ball that showed attitude and played for Dallas????

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
notherbob said:
It's going to be interesting watching Carp and Shockey go nose to nose.
That's a matchup that I think will be a long running duel for years to come. I'm hoping that Bobby tears Shockey's head off on the first play they face each other; just to get his attention.

TheHustler

Reaction score
50cent said:
Nice, I like it. You don't have to worry about that anymore with Artest now, not to mention Bonzi!

Now if only Brad Miller started to play that way instead of getting punked every game and putting up less than 10 points a 5 rebounds a game.....

TheHustler

Reaction score
Garret said:
I am a little younger than most who post on here.As I was reading this post it got me thinking. Who are so other guys on the D side of the ball that showed attitude and played for Dallas????

Deion was never a "hitter" but brought attitude.

Garret

Reaction score
What about Knorton and Haley? Didnt those guys have an "attitude"?

Garret

Reaction score
If so I want the D stacked with these types of guys. We need to be feared by opossing teams.

50cent

Reaction score
riggo said:
50, if that's the hit i'm thinking of (witten got hit by someone else, spun a little and got hit by marcus washington), i honestly think it was not really dirty. i know this will be looked at as homerism, but wittens foot was half on the white, half in bounds and he was moving forward. i think it looked worse cuz washington hit him when he was a little off balance due to the first hit. for the record, marcus washington has no rep at all for being dirty.

its one of those hits that you think is cheap if youre a boys fan and clean if youre a skins fan.

i'll see if i can find a video clip of it and double check it. i apologise if i'm wrong.
Your right about it being Washington. Thats who I was refering to in the original post. It may have been one of those hits, but Witten relaxed and then was leveled. I agree it was a close play, but still no one stood up for Witten and that stings. I'm not calling Washington a cheap shot artist, but in a game so important, there is no way we get punked like that with Haley on our team. I guarantee someone would have to explain to Charles HAley why he just got a 15 yard penalty for spearing the hell out of Brunell, 5 plays after the Witten hit.

50cent

Reaction score
Hoov said:
I like carpenter too because he is a physical, hitting, in your face aggressive LB type.

But to the original point of this thread.....carpenter is on defense. Our defensive players will not be on the field against the other teams defense, so what we need is offensive players that get fired up.

If someone cheapshots an offensive player, you need a nasty ** that will start running over the other teams defensive players. An E Williams type of OLineman and a wr like Irvin. You can bet Irvin would have been talking up some **** to the opponenets after a play like that.

Hopefully TO and Fasano will bring that !!!
I agree with you on the offensive attitude, but my point in the original post was that Witten was hit on our sideline. Offensive and defensive players could have opened a can on Washington, but nobody did. I too believe that BP doesn't mind T.O. being on this team, because T.o is a man. He doesn't back down from any challange. We now have nastiness on both sides of the ball. Not thugs, just plan nastiness.

MossBurner

Reaction score
50cent said:

The hit was in bounds, but the whistle was blown incorrectly for a bogus forward progress call. Witten was still on the move when Marcus clobbered him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not certain why Owens' name keeps being mentioned.

I'm excited that someone like Carpenter has been added to the roster. From what I have known about him, he has a 'team first' mentality. If one of his teammates were to get hurt, he would like to retaliate in defense of his player. Teams, especially defenses, need that kind of passion every single game.

"Owens"? Sure, he has passion. For his own game, that is, but when can anyone remember him coming to the defense of a hurt teammate? Or remember watching him smother a teammate with congratulations for making a great play, etc.?

Even at this stage of his career, Owens is a premier wide receiver, but let's not mistake him for being a passionate, team-first kind of player like Irvin. This season, the team (especially the offense) will feed off his passion, but I believe it's also safe to say that he will display most of his passion whenever he's celebrating his own great plays.

Just keeping it real.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
There are two types of enforcers on a team, IMO:

-- The quiet guys who do their talking with their physical play (Roy Williams, Randy White)

-- And the guys who talk, clobber you, then talk some more. (James Washington, Thomas Henderson, Charles Haley, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris, Gene Lockhart, etc.)

The second guy is what Dallas has been missing in recent years on its defense. Greg Ellis, LaRoi Glover, Terence Newman, etc., are wonderful players, but every defense needs a guy that lives on the edge a little bit ... an alpha male, so to speak ... a guy who's whole attitude is don't frick with me or any of my teammates.

I listed James Washington first because I think he was the epitome of that guy. James wasn't the most talented guy, but he made big plays, kicked you in the nuts and then laughed about it.

Hopefully Carpenter has some of that.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
The Realist said:
Commonly referred to as SacramentoKingsItis.

Go ahead Kobe, elbow Bibby in the nose. We're cool with it.

Yeah, and the league did nothing about it. But when Artest tried it (with the Kings) SUSPENSION time, Baby!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief said:
There are two types of enforcers on a team, IMO:

-- The quiet guys who do their talking with their physical play (Roy Williams, Randy White)

-- And the guys who talk, clobber you, then talk some more. (James Washington, Thomas Henderson, Charles Haley, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris, Gene Lockhart, etc.)

The second guy is what Dallas has been missing in recent years on its defense. Greg Ellis, LaRoi Glover, Terence Newman, etc., are wonderful players, but every defense needs a guy that lives on the edge a little bit ... an alpha male, so to speak ... a guy who's whole attitude is don't frick with me or any of my teammates.

I listed James Washington first because I think he was the epitome of that guy. James wasn't the most talented guy, but he made big plays, kicked you in the nuts and then laughed about it.

Hopefully Carpenter has some of that.
Good post. I disagree somewhat about Glover. IMO, he was never able to bring his A-game to Dallas. Some of that can be put on his shoulders. The rest can be applied to the defensive schemes he had to comply with--which kind of restricted him since he was one of the few defensive weapons on the team. He might have been a bit nastier here if he had been on a less tighter leash.