Carson Wentz labeled 'barbaric' for hunting a black bear

Pass2Run

Reaction score
These folks complaining have obviously never had potatoes fried in bear fat. Plus I heard that Wentz actually missed the bear twice and Nick Foles had to be brought in to finish him off.
Seriously?

Elaborate?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Same handful of sensitive flakes stressing over pancake syrup and renaming sports mascots.

Cleveland Guardians?!? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
I bet you shotgun Bud Lights in the parking lot before heading into see Magic Mike.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing wrong with hunting a black bear as long as all protocols were followed,

It is not an endangered species.

Now those disgusting men who fly to somewhere in Africa to shoot an old lion or other animals that are stuck in a cage and shoot them. Take their heads or other parts as trophy and celebrate their manhood. Then some justify it saying that the animals meet goes to the local people and some of the money as well. I do not care. That is not hunting.

That is some crap. That is not hunting. That is shooting a captured animal who is not at his or her prime and in a cage. No way for the animal to fight back or run and make the hunter actually hunt for the prey.

But him going out and hunting a black bear with a bow and if he followed the rules. Nothing wrong with it.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Seriously?

Elaborate?
Bear fat has been used since the first nations people. It's probably the 3rd most important animal behind beaver and buffalo to western expansion. Because bears hibernate in dormancy they pack on fat, and that fat is a unique fat. Other North American animals hibernate like squirrels and prairie dogs but none that are big enough to render fat from. Likewise other North American big game like whitetail, mule deer, and elk who don't hibernate don't offer much in the way of renderable fat.

Bear fat when ground down and slow cooked with a bit of water and strained through a cheesecloth makes a clean lard that works great for both frying and baking. It's how Native Americans, early settlers, and pioneers fried the lean rabbits, squirrels, and deer meat they were shooting along the way. They also used it for conditioning bow strings, weatherproofing clothing, seasoning knives and firearms, protecting skin and chapped lips, soothing insect bites and rashes, making soap, and to burn lanterns. Lewis and Clark reported using gallons of bear fat to condition their equipment. It's kind of like having WD40, Crisco, and Vaseline all bottled up in one little jar.

I've never killed a bear nor rendered bear fat, but I've been around it. I worked for a while as guide/outfitter and you'd get hunters that would bring it to camp for cooking or trading. I traded a guy a youth recurve bow for a big mason jar several year back and cooked with it for months. It's the same idea as frying with bacon fat except it's cleaner and has a longer shelf life.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Don/t hunt, but I know how, should it become necessary.

But I'm not going to stand in the way of anybody that wants to hunt...