Carter isn't a failure because of a scheme change

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I like Holloman Lee and Wilber as the LB. I am actually excited about Wilber having a full offseason at LB he just seems natural there. I'm glad he found a home. Carter is lazy and always seems out of place or running half speed

JBond

Reaction score
I have been focusing on him a lot this year. This is what I have noticed.

1. He takes just about every play off. I never see him sprinting to the ball.
2. He lets himself get absorbed on blocks. He can't shed a block to save his life. In fact, it appears he walks into blocks just to get occupied and sit there.
3. Because he is never sprinting to the ball, he never makes a downhill tackle.
4. He is completely lost in man or zone coverage responsibilities.

I would comment on his angles, but honestly, I rarely see him pursuing the ball carrier. If they don't run right into him, he is nowhere to be found. He is a failure because of lack of effort.

This is the stuff that happens when a clown owner/make believe GM and his wife call the shots.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
If he couldn't play hard tonihgt when everyone around him was busting a gut playing above themselves trying to get us into the playoffs and actually having a chance.. then he never can. I don't want to see him in a Cowboys uniform again.

Lack of talent can be excused if you are giving your all. If you don't even try then I have no time for you. Next.

RS12

Reaction score
Another of the UNC "all entitled" team that has been coasting on natural ability since high school. Problem between the ears.

KB1122

Reaction score
He probably wasn't happy with the coordinator change. Which means he'll probably go elsewhere and be an all-pro.

RS12

Reaction score
Who else falls under that category?

Marvin Austin and a few others. Butch Davis supposedly recruited multiple first rounders over the years. More like chrpnic under achievers.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The first three points could simply be summed up by saying he's a wuss. Which he is.Just one of a dozen or so bums who need to be gone.

dstovall5

Reaction score
He's a failure because of his piss poor effort. Please, get rid of this guy, we don't need losers that don't try on this team. I can barely stand our losers as it is, but losers that don't try is just too much. :(

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think his effort is a problem most of the time.

he looks lackadaisical because he is lost out there. If you have to think, then you're slow.

his instincts are poor.
You can tell by the way he takes on blocks that he doesn't have the heart to be a good player. Pretty clearly, imo.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You can tell by the way he takes on blocks that he doesn't have the heart to be a good player. Pretty clearly, imo.

I don't see how anyone who watches the games, even casual fans, don't see it.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'll take a draft pick or player for player swap for the guy.

He looked extremely dynamic in. Ryan's scheme last year.

Maybe we got to make the Saints defense better to get something for him.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Carter is the biggest disappointment for me in a season filled with disappointed. At the end of last year, I had hoped Carter to be one of the core building blocks. I thought he would flourish in a 4-3. I don't know what happened there. It sort of drops draft grades some if Carter is not a core building block. Same thing with Mo who has yet to establish himself as a solid starting corner.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have been focusing on him a lot this year. This is what I have noticed.

1. He takes just about every play off. I never see him sprinting to the ball.
2. He lets himself get absorbed on blocks. He can't shed a block to save his life. In fact, it appears he walks into blocks just to get occupied and sit there.
3. Because he is never sprinting to the ball, he never makes a downhill tackle.
4. He is completely lost in man or zone coverage responsibilities.

I would comment on his angles, but honestly, I rarely see him pursuing the ball carrier. If they don't run right into him, he is nowhere to be found. He is a failure because of lack of effort.

There must be something going on behind the scenes. The guy was electric last year at times in the 3-4. But i noticed the lack-luster effort and uninspired play this year.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
He singlehandedly stopped Foles from scoring on the goalline by leaping the LOS and blocker. And he doesn't miss tackles. When he hits people they go down. I think being forced to cover TE's and WR's 25 yards down the field takes a toll on the guy. That's a lot of running and then turn around and get blocked by a 300# lineman. The scheme sux, not the player. Carter is a 3-4 player, just like half the other guys on this defense. They were drafted to play a 3-4. Don't blame them.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The question is why? He was giving plenty of effort last year.

That's the question. I have to agree with the OP on his observations, he does seem to lack effort on a lot of plays. I personally think he did not like the benching earlier this year and it killed his spirit. IDK, but he needs to man up and bring it every play. I don't think I would cut or trade him at this point but he would have to earn every snap next year.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
He singlehandedly stopped Foles from scoring on the goalline by leaping the LOS and blocker. And he doesn't miss tackles. When he hits people they go down. I think being forced to cover TE's and WR's 25 yards down the field takes a toll on the guy. That's a lot of running and then turn around and get blocked by a 300# lineman. The scheme sux, not the player. Carter is a 3-4 player, just like half the other guys on this defense. They were drafted to play a 3-4. Don't blame them.

Oh Please. The scheme does not effect effort. I don't care if we are in a 3-4, 4-3 10-1, whatever, you play your heart out there for your teammates and your family. He didn't do that and to say it is because he was drafted to play in the 3-4 is a cop-out.