Case for trading 17 for Jamal Adams

cowboygo

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not liking the potential options at 17. If 3 QBs, 2 WRs, and 4 O-Lineman go before us, including Simmons, D. Brown and Okudah (total 12), the following could be available:

DT Javon Kinlaw
CB CJ Henderson
WR one of Lamb/Reudy/Ruggs
Edge K'lavon Chaisson

The Field (all safeties, Jordan Love for trade back opportunity, 2nd/3rd tier of corners, linebackers which we've shown interest)

I really believe S Jamal Adams easily trumps The Field, and a case can be made that he is a better option than the 4 names listed above.

Mike Nolan's defense is known to be an aggressive scheme, and turnovers are a crucial feature. If we are indeed blitzing at a high rate, having a playmaker like Adams would elevate the defense. T.Fred's retirement opens up cap next year. Adams cap hit won't be much until following years. I really think its an attractive option. If we are not able to get the 4 names listed, I'd rather trade down.

Also, I would only trade #17 for Adams, additional picks would make it pricey. If we go linebacker, I will puke.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Jets aren't giving you Adams for the 17 overall pick,.....And Dallas can't afford anymore top tier priced contracts...I expect Dallas to probably move down a few spots to garner more picks of take a DE or CB with their first selection...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely no for Adams. A 4th or 5th round, yes. but none of our top 3.
We can draft a S and be just as well off, plus as many want, save that cap space. Why trade a 1st for another player that will demand a huge contract after this season.
And I don't think Adams is worth a 1st. Where he has only 2 career INT's, one in 2018, 1 in 2019, and none his rookie season.

NO THANKS. I mean that was the knock on Byron Jones, so why are so many high on Adams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not liking the potential options at 17. If 3 QBs, 2 WRs, and 4 O-Lineman go before us, including Simmons, D. Brown and Okudah (total 12), the following could be available:

DT Javon Kinlaw
CB CJ Henderson
WR one of Lamb/Reudy/Ruggs
Edge K'lavon Chaisson

The Field (all safeties, Jordan Love for trade back opportunity, 2nd/3rd tier of corners, linebackers which we've shown interest)

I really believe S Jamal Adams easily trumps The Field, and a case can be made that he is a better option than the 4 names listed above.

Mike Nolan's defense is known to be an aggressive scheme, and turnovers are a crucial feature. If we are indeed blitzing at a high rate, having a playmaker like Adams would elevate the defense. T.Fred's retirement opens up cap next year. Adams cap hit won't be much until following years. I really think its an attractive option. If we are not able to get the 4 names listed, I'd rather trade down.

Also, I would only trade #17 for Adams, additional picks would make it pricey. If we go linebacker, I will puke.

The problem with the Adams trade for ONLY pick 17 is that its going to be another Cooper deal. We will have to sign him immediately for something like 15 million per year for 3-5 years. These other guys are cheap for 5 years minimum.

I would take Kinlaw and Henderson over the Adams. Chaisson I would be on the fence about. I would also have to check in case there was not some great trade down option.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Jets aren't giving you Adams for the 17 overall pick,.....And Dallas can't afford anymore top tier priced contracts...I expect Dallas to probably move down a few spots to garner more picks of take a DE or CB with their first selection...
I expect a trade down as well. Really hoping we don't go linebacker at 17.

cowboygo

Reaction score
The problem with the Adams trade for ONLY pick 17 is that its going to be another Cooper deal. We will have to sign him immediately for something like 15 million per year for 3-5 years. These other guys are cheap for 5 years minimum.

I would take Kinlaw and Henderson over the Adams. Chaisson I would be on the fence about. I would also have to check in case there was not some great trade down option.
I agree that Kinlaw and Henderson are peetty much no-brainers, I just don't see them getting to 17. If Chaisson is there, I hope thats the pick.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy also had 6.5 sacks, and was a 1st team All-Pro last year. Forces fumbles too. We need playmakers on defense, not solid pieces.

Still not worth a 1st rounder, and will demand a high contract, and probably will want paid the highest S, as that seems a player trend. anting to be paid the highest.
DB's sacks come from blitzes. Is Nolan a high blitz defense? Not sure.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s a strong safety and not a game changer.

We’re overpaying the RB position.

We’re paying a lot of money for WR (you don’t really see that from championship teams.)

We’re about to lock ourselves into a slightly better then mediocre QB.

Now we want to to spend a ton on a strong safety?

No thanks..

Right now this team is desperate for guys that disrupt the other teams passing game and we need some explosive big play ability from somewhere on offense because we aren’t getting it from our QB or RB.

Our 1st pick realistically needs to be Chaisson, Henderson, or Henry Ruggs and I would take all 3 at the chance of them hitting their potential and being on a rookie deal over Adams because they hold more position value.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Still not worth a 1st rounder, and will demand a high contract, and probably will want paid the highest S, as that seems a player trend. anting to be paid the highest.
DB's sacks come from blitzes. Is Nolan a high blitz defense? Not sure.
Since 2014, our defense never finished higher than 24th among teams in blitz rate at 23.7% of snaps. Nolan's defenses consistently stayed above league average, with his most heavy blitz season being in 2013, having a 4th highest blitz rate at 37.9%. That defense was actually ranked pretty poorly though. But the scheme is indeed more aggressive in blitzing.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I was against it before due to salary cap reasons but with Frederick retiring, I am rethinking it. You could basically replace the cap hit going forward for a 29 year old pro bowl player with a relatively equal cap hit on a 24 year old pro bowl player at a position of huge need, both now and in the future. I would only do a 1st round pick and only if I can agree on a long-term deal with Adams as part of the process. I might even get slick and trade down into the early 20's and then try and make the deal. I'm not giving up multiple high draft picks and I'm not doing it without an extension in place.

cowboygo

Reaction score
He’s a strong safety and not a game changer.

We’re overpaying the RB position.

We’re paying a lot of money for WR (you don’t really see that from championship teams.)

We’re about to lock ourselves into a slightly better then mediocre QB.

Now we want to to spend a ton on a strong safety?

No thanks..

Right now this team is desperate for guys that disrupt the other teams passing game and we need some explosive big play ability from somewhere on offense because we aren’t getting it from our QB or RB.

Our 1st pick realistically needs to be Chaisson, Henderson, or Henry Ruggs and I would take all 3 at the chance of them hitting their potential and being on a rookie deal over Adams because they hold more position value.
I'll disagree in that he is a game changer. But yes, give me one of the 3 you mentioned and I'll be happy. Our win in week 17 might really hurt us in missing those guys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree that Kinlaw and Henderson are peetty much no-brainers, I just don't see them getting to 17. If Chaisson is there, I hope thats the pick.

yah, I think you have to go with Chaisson as well. Passing up on an edge rusher with his kind of talent you just cant do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think the contract is the issue. They could afford him. I'm just not sure if its worth it for that position.

I know it sucks for some people to hear but I'm not investing a 17th overall pick and big money on a strong safety.

Big_D

Reaction score
Hell No. you can’t keep trading away that 5 year rookie deal for a huge contract. It’s moronic and no way to operate! So with McCarthys first pick ever he’s trading it for a strong safety?? Crazy talk! Id much rather he go the opposite route and somehow figure out a way to get another first rounder. I like Jamal Adams but the price makes zero sense for this team! Time to put this pipe dream to bed.