Cavanaugh on Cooper and Lawrence

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Gregory is #1 priority? Why?

I mean, I know ya'll think he's an All-Pro and all, but this dude had like 4 good games and that was it. He make bonehead decisions, still seems immature, and will surly want more than he is worth (And Jerry will give it to him). The sad thing is he will 100% get more from the Cowboys then he would in free agency simply because of the way this organization over values talent that it drafts.

I feel Gregory is just another example of one of Jerry's guys that he just refuses to let go when it would be best to just walk away from this one.

I recall an article where Quinn told Jerry what had to happen to the roster for him to sign on as D-Coordinator last year. Besides the pay raise, I bet there was an understanding of which players we would fight to retain if Quinn relinquished his coaching offers. I’m sure Gregory and Kearse were high on his demand list.

Reaction score
Coops production here is what its been since he came into the league. He is not consistent and hasnt been since he came into the league. Dont make him into a top 3 WR just because he's paid like it. He runs the best routes in the league but doesnt play like it. If he put in the work that T.O did. He'd be the best WR in the game.
Not on this team ...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Gregory needs to remember how Jerry and the Cowboys never gave up on him and helped him out so much get his mental and life in order. Hope he gives the Cowboys a team discount. Maybe agree to around $10 mil / season.

That's 10m too much. He's a moron. Can't win with guys like that.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Cooper was gone the second he went public with his critqiue of the coaching.

Jerry will tolerate his own selfish impulses and 26 years of ineptness, but he will not tolerate anyone questioning the "braintrust"

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Think Cooper will not be a Cowboy in 2022 talking to people

Whispers are Lawrence will be asked to take a paycut.

#1 priority this offseason is to sign Randy Gregory.

Fixing the OL is a priority this offseason.

Let em both walk.. draft me another cheaper version.
Tank can go get over payed and Gregory can go get over played

Adreme

Reaction score

You are almost not finding more than 1 in the draft and almost certainly year 1 from where the Cowboys draft and that is assuming you attack the DLine early.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You are almost not finding more than 1 in the draft and almost certainly year 1 from where the Cowboys draft and that is assuming you attack the DLine early.
True that, but the cap and restructures are staring you in the face, its decision time and we all know how Jerry and FO make decisions.
McClay has told me personally, along with David Wells..."Jerry is a cool dude, but he knows absolutely nothing about true franchise payed talent"..
Will and Davie both have a special communication, and Im just always happy to be included and have known both of them for a few decades and what they express to me when in communication represents them as the coolest dudes in the room.

Flamma

Reaction score
1) I hope they can trade Cooper for something and not just outright cut him

2) I like this approach. Lawrence isn't "elite" but he's still quite good and better than any DE option on our roster BY FAR

3) It comes down to cost. I would like to have Gregory back but if they have to sign him to some ridiculous, deal, pass. Granted, if they can't figure out a way to keep Lawrence, then they might be stuck overpaying for Gregory

4) They should have crap canned the OL coach. That would have been move #1 in fixing the OL. I hope this draft is heavy on OL and DL.

I'd like to see them bring back Kearse and Hooker if possible on cheapish deals.

I doubt any team wants Cooper's 20 million base salary. We'd have to give them picks.

The pay cut for Lawrence is cheesy to me. How much can they shave off his base salary before he's better off leaving? 2 to 3 Mil?

Gregory is around an 11 to 12M a year player. Going by the value assigned to him. But who knows.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best with the OL. I don't see it getting much better in one off season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe easier to get a good LB and move Parsons to pass rush on passing downs. Keep D-Law. When not injured he plays well. LVE had a good year. GET A O-LINE COACH. If MM keeps him this year he is costing himself his own job. He can’t run this O-Line. JJ needs to take over and fire philibin and hire Colombo. Fix the penalties and go back to power run. Use a FB or 2 back set if needed.. Bring back the I formation..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It sounds good in theory, but when the Texans offer 5y/75m$ because they have way too much cap space… how likely do you think it is that the man turns down 30-40m$ to return a favor?
Good question. We will soon find out how loyal and appreciative Randy Gregory truly is of Jerry and the Cowboys organization.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Maybe, however, there's a massive difference between $28m overpay and $13m.
Not adverse to drafting a cheaper version but at 24 are we going to get the younger versions? Especially when it's a toss up between a good (but second tier DE), or a top G?

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Yes let's take away our offenses best weapon. Does anyone remember Dak's 7 games in 2018 before Amari came along? I'll refresh your memory

1418 yards
8 TD
4 INT
77 QB rating

And most importantly a 3-4 record. Cooper was the catalyst that turned that team around. On top of this two of those first 7 games before Cooper came along were against the Lions and Jaguars. If the Cowboys play the game of relying on Dak and giving him less help by this time next year they will be admitting it's time to move on from him. Unless the running games average 150 a game this strategy won't work. We've seen it before it's not pretty. And if you want even more evidence look at the 2017 season in which most QB's would have been benched for their performance, but not with Joneses who can't admit a mistake (See Garrett and letting Jimmy walk as well).