Cavanaugh on Delpit

DanA

Reaction score
None of those DTs are better than what we have, or will cost more than $10m. You think Armstead, Suh, McCoy, and Brockers are going to make less than $10m? Jones is going to get close to $20. Collins is better than the others, because they can't rush the passer.

There are about a dozen competent corners who you can get for cheap.

I got to say there are a heap more DT’s and several tiers.

You’ve got Jones followed by Phillips, Reader, Hargrave, Harris and Brockers.

Probably all 10m plus.

A second tier of Pierce, Shelton, Bennett, V.Butler and Reed.

Probably 5-10m

A then there are a dozen guys that I’d put on Collins level that will get 2-5m.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I got to say there are a heap more DT’s and several tiers.

You’ve got Jones followed by Phillips, Reader, Hargrave, Harris and Brockers.

Probably all 10m plus.

A second tier of Pierce, Shelton, Bennett, V.Butler and Reed.

Probably 5-10m

A then there are a dozen guys that I’d put on Collins level that will get 2-5m.

I agree. Collins does give you some pass rush juice, but he’s struggled staying on the field at times and gets pushed around in the run game.

I love for my DTs to push the pocket, but against playoff caliber OLs it doesn’t matter if they run it down your throat the whole game and don’t need to throw it much.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have minimal interest in retaining Byron Jones because he’s a bad tackler. Tells me that they’ll red flag Delpit. It’s the new staff and frankly I agree. All 11 guys must be excellent tacklers.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The Cowboys have minimal interest in retaining Byron Jones because he’s a bad tackler. Tells me that they’ll red flag Delpit. It’s the new staff and frankly I agree. All 11 guys must be excellent tacklers.

I thinks its the price. As Stephen basically hinted at that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because he is not the best tackler now he is viewed as a guy that will just fall down and let guys run by him.

You guys are wayyyy to worried about Delpit's tackling.

Is it an issue? Sure.. But it's not nearly as big of a problem as some are making it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thinks its the price. As Stephen basically hinted at that.

Dallas doesn't know how to build football teams.

They are spending money on mediocre QB, top dollar for a WR, and top dollar for a RB...

Meanwhile their All Pro corner who they didn't properly identify as a corner they are going to let go.

Dallas still wants the 90's Cowboys model and just try to get by on defense.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Because he is not the best tackler now he is viewed as a guy that will just fall down and let guys run by him.

You guys are wayyyy to worried about Delpit's tackling.

Is it an issue? Sure.. But it's not nearly as big of a problem as some are making it.

The exact opposite could be argued your take.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

Delpit at worst will be a James Washington clone. Go back and see how important "Drive By" was in those Super Bowl games of 1992 and 1993.

The example shows Delpit made the play. Cowboys need play makers on defense. In the championship game Delpit made the hit on Clemson's QB causing the fumble that sealed the game. He had five solo tackles, a sack and forced fumble in the national title game.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

Delpit at worst will be a James Washington clone. Go back and see how important "Drive By" was in those Super Bowl games of 1992 and 1993.

The example shows Delpit made the play. Cowboys need play makers on defense. In the championship game Delpit made the hit on Clemson's QB causing the fumble that sealed the game. He had five solo tackles, a sack and forced fumble in the national title game.

Lol?

You couldn’t pick a more different player to try and compare Delpit to.

Delpit is nothing James Washington.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
For every NFL draft, there are some prospects who are overhyped by the media and projected to go much higher than where teams actually value them. One AFC general manager said a rule of thumb is the quarterbacks and top-10 players will get more attention than they deserve in part out of laziness on the part of the TV media. This year won't be any different, as there are plenty of players who team evaluators feel are being overhyped. ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** did a survey of team sources to find out who are the most overrated players for this draft class, and Utah State quarterback Jordan Love received the most votes as the most overrated prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft. Here's the vote tally:

• Utah State quarterback Jordan Love - 6 votes
  • LSU cornerback Kristian Fulton - 5 votes
  • LSU safety Grant Delpit - 4 votes
  • Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert - 2 votes

• LSU quarterback Joe Burrow - 2 votes
  • Houston offensive tackle Josh Jones - 1 vote
  • Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa - 1 vote
  • Utah defensive end Bradley Anae - 1 vote

Of course because some evaluators feel these players are overrated, may not impact where they get drafted. Obviously, Burrow is a virtual lock for the No. 1 pick while Herbert and Tagovailoa are secure top-10 picks. It would only takes one team to fall in love with Jordan Love and select him in the first round, but he was the most common choice among team sources and received the most emphatic feedback about being overrated. Kristian Fulton and Grant Delpit were in second and third place, respectively, and teams were also verbose in their feedback about them being overrated. It will be interesting to see if the LSU defensive backs end up going lower than the consensus belief considering how many team sources felt that way. Of course, a lot could change in the leadup to the 2020 NFL Draft, but entering the NFL Scouting Combine, these were the players who teams feel are being overrated right now.

For the Delpit/Fulton fanclub.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You know how we all hate Woods for being a bad tackler? Delpit at FS is going to be the same thing. He's a lot more talented than Woods and a lot better in coverage, but if you threw objects at your TV last season watching Aaron Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson run by Woods like he was a dummy bag, you can't turn around here a few months later and tell me tackling at FS doesn't matter.

Every prospect has their pluses and minuses and those should be fairly taken into account, but bad tackling for your last line of defense isn't something to be minimized.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You know how we all hate Woods for being a bad tackler? Delpit at FS is going to be the same thing. He's a lot more talented than Woods and a lot better in coverage, but if you threw objects at your TV last season watching Aaron Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson run by Woods like he was a dummy bag, you can't turn around here a few months later and tell me tackling at FS doesn't matter.

Every prospect has their pluses and minuses and those should be fairly taken into account, but bad tackling for your last line of defense isn't something to be minimized.

I would add tackling is a fundamental aspect of the game which every successful defense requires.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Mosher did a mock where we get Reagor snd then Delpit in 2. Won’t happen but more palatable

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mosher did a mock where we get Reagor snd then Delpit in 2. Won’t happen but more palatable

Dallas trades #51, 231, and a 2021 4th to Jacksonville for #42 for Delpit??? Sounds expensive (give up 2 picks) to move up 10 spots. Maybe the trade chart tells a different story.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dane Bruglar just mentioned he only sees one safety in this class as a Top 25 guy and that was Xavier McKinney.

He also said he sees Delpit as a “late 1st round/early 2nd round” player.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to get McKinney, especially if a great DT isn't there.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Dane Bruglar just mentioned he only sees one safety in this class as a Top 25 guy and that was Xavier McKinney.

He also said he sees Delpit as a “late 1st round/early 2nd round” player.
Why would we want McKinney a box safety in round 1? Atleast jamal adams is an ELITE box safety

Verdict

Reaction score
Let me see... we want a safety at #17 who can’t tackle? That sounds a lot like a “quick twitch” “big cat” who couldn’t start on his own team that we took in the second round last year. With both of those guys on our team we should be set for a decade.