CB Daron Bland vs Kelvin Joseph

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't think Joseph is in danger. He was very good on special teams last year, when he decided he didn't want to fight, that is. He hasn't had a bad camp, and didn't have a bad game against Denver other than giving up that difficult to defend TD catch. He definitely hasn't received rave reviews, though, while Bland is getting them right now.

Agree 100%......they will find a way to keep BOTH if needed even if it means sacrificing another position, maybe three TEs instead of four.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've been hearing several raving reviews and two thumbs up with 5th round draftee
rookie CB Daron Bland, whose put together solid camp practices and a solid preseason game.
Every since camp opened, I'm hearing Bland is still putting up a show in camp
and Cowboys have been quite impressed with him..

- But with former 2nd round pick Kelvin Joseph, i've not heard near as much raves and praises with his
camp practices, and he had a mixed Denver game to add to that.

- And hearing comments from Bobby Belt from 105.3 the fan radio, he posed a question if Joseph could
actually be in danger of being cut at 53 roster finale.

- Also keep in mind that Joseph still may not be out of the water with Goodell and NFL conduct policy
that could result in facing suspension.

- i would have expected the 2nd year Joseph as should've been receiving the great reviews, but
it's actually been 5th rd pick Bland instead.

- As a 2nd rd. pick, i would think the Cowboys would expect Joseph to seize that 2nd CB role opposite
Diggs, but at this early point, it doesn't look like the case.
Bossman looked good in the regular season last year.
That to me is more important than training camp and preseason performance.
I am concerned about a possible suspension however.

KDM256

Reaction score
Not putting much stock into the Joseph banter until the preseason is over with.

Alot of people want to see him fail or have an opinion on him but going to see if Joseph string consecutive sub par performances in preseason before I scream for a roster cut

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joseph gave up a total of minus 2 yards receiving in his 1st start...
That’s why I’m like how is he getting cut based on preseason play over actual NFL in game play….
Here are Kelvin Joseph’s defensive stats from last year:
  • Games played: 10
  • Four of those 10 games he had zero defensive snaps.
  • Total defensive snap counts: 164
  • Only two games where he had significant playing time- both blowouts-
    • Vs. WFT in a 56-14 blowout win- had 57 snaps- 0 picks, 3 combined tackles, 1 pass defended.
    • Vs. Phi in a 51-26 blowout- had 7 tackles (good) 0 picks, 0 passes defended
  • For the season, he had 2 passes defended.
  • Did not play a single defensive snap vs SF in playoff game.
Kelvin Joseph did little last year to make us think he has a bright future here is based on those stats. If he gets his act together and plays more and plays better, then I will be happy. But let’s not call him much of a success at this point. Still too early to count him out too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not really. Joseph had several nice plays and one (or two) bad ones. Wright was targeted more and failed much more.

Not saying either of them played great, but if we're judging Joseph primarily on the TD throw, I don't think we're being fair to him.

Let me amend that to say Joseph had a couple of nice plays. I don't think several is an accurate description because there weren't that many throws his direction.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
IDK. How much do you trust these dudes reporting things? I never pay any attention to any of this off season stuff. Not because I don't believe it, but there are so many dudes today who have to pump out tweets, etc to justify their pay. So, there is so much garbage posted onlne. Too much work and time to figure out who you can trust and who actually has clearance to watch what's happening at practice.

Spot on. People want to believe Joseph will be cut so they can do their "I told you so" raging so the media is just giving people what they want to believe in/hope for to keep them on pins and needles. Joseph is going nowhere unless he's gotten himself into more trouble.

Bates

Reaction score
Spot on. People want to believe Joseph will be cut so they can do their "I told you so" raging so the media is just giving people what they want to believe in/hope for to keep them on pins and needles. Joseph is going nowhere unless he's gotten himself into more trouble.

Hold on. Meant to add a like and forgot. going now.

I don't know why folks get all bent out of shape from a bunch of tweeters. A lot of these dudes online are pappydog's who could put a few coherent thoughts together and badgered these sights to add them as a "columnist".

glimmerman

Reaction score
Show me when the lights are on. When the game is on show me you can play. Dak practices poorly sometimes. But plays better when the game is on. Ball out for 6 to 8 regular season games and we will start to talk..

Mr_437

Reaction score
We all know Jerry n Stephen love to boast about their drafted guys. Hard to see KJ cut, but he has opened the door for it to happen. I hope they are shopping him because he may need a fresh start in a new city.

Good to see a rookie come in and push these other CBs to the side. Bland might start if Lewis can't go in Week 1...that's crazy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It would not surprise me at all if Joseph was cut or possibly traded.

I'm sure his leash is very short. Sometimes you just got to cut bait. If they think Bland is capable and Joseph is still not meeting expectations I am all for it, just on principle..
isnt the rookie contract he has all guaranteed? if so , no way steve would cut him!

From what I saw of bland in denver game I would keep him over kj.
But that is one game curious to see if he looks that good again in sat game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I bet pre-draft you had Joseph as a top corner.

You'd be wrong. I would have selected the Chargers corner Asante Samuel Jr. over him instead of worrying about Samuel's lack of height. That opinion hasn't changed. I have formed an opinion on whether Joseph will succeed in this league. I just know that Wright was our worst corner against Denver and Joseph was just so-so. Bland was clearly our best in that game.