CB/PR Devin Hester's back in business.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl?PHPSESSID=1ba092b575ea1ddd2ba9c281c5eb0e36
NCAA | Hester blazes in the 40
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:42:44 -0800
The Associated Press reports Miami CB <A href="http://www.kffl.com/player/13468/nfl">Devin Hester ran a stunning time of 4.27 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Miami's timing day for all 32 NFL teams Saturday, March 4. He ran a 4.41 at the Indianapolis combine last month, finishing a disappointing ninth among defensive backs. Switching from an indoor surface to an outdoor field likely helped Hester.

If that's true, he's back on my radar for CB/PR. If we can pick up a 4, I would take him there in a hurry.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl?PHPSESSID=1ba092b575ea1ddd2ba9c281c5eb0e36

Dyluke

Reaction score
Its to bad the guy can't play a lick of football...otherwise he'd be one helluva player :lmao:

jbsg02

Reaction score
their track is FAST. i read somewhere that he wasn't even the fastest player and that someone ran a 4.25

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
all because of a 40 time...
you took him off your list and then put him back on?

Thats just sad.
Most people didn't even have Chad Jackson or Jason Allen on their list until they saw their 40 time. And most people took Parham off of their list when they saw his miserable 40 time.

We all have a right to put on or take off based on numbers, including you. I don't want to pick him as my 1st day, but how much do we lose picking the guy on the 2nd day? Not much.... He's fast, and a helluva punt returner.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
.... He's fast, and a helluva punt returner.

I have to agree with the other post, the guy might be fast but he sux as a football player

Hester a helluva punt returner? wasnt he benched from that for part of the yr because h didnt do jack and fumbled alot?

if he's drafted at all I'll be surprised

David

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
he's raw but i'd definitely take him day 2.

i wouldn't say he sucks as a pr. took 1 to the house and averaged over 14 yards per return.

i believe you are correct though that he had some issues holding onto the ball.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Most people didn't even have Chad Jackson or Jason Allen on their list until they saw their 40 time. And most people took Parham off of their list when they saw his miserable 40 time.

We all have a right to put on or take off based on numbers, including you. I don't want to pick him as my 1st day, but how much do we lose picking the guy on the 2nd day? Not much.... He's fast, and a helluva punt returner.
Thats my point, though.
You should want or not want him based more on his punt return ability and what he did during games, not his 40 time.

As for those who all of a sudden like Jackson and Allen because of their 40's, that too is just sad.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Thats my point, though.
You should want or not want him based more on his punt return ability and what he did during games, not his 40 time.

As for those who all of a sudden like Jackson and Allen because of their 40's, that too is just sad.
I'm not trying to debate something here, but in reality, teams use speed to determine certain things. When you have Fujita constantly getting juked out of his shorts, then you know that agility is a concern.

When you have Crayton who cannot extend a punt return more than a few yards and Newman ripping up big yardage, then you understand the difference between a 4.58 Crayton and a 4.37 Newman.

When you see a guy like Keith Davis not having the makeup speed to help out on a deep ball, then you maybe look at a Jason Allen 4.38 speed VS. a Keith Davis 4.5 speed.

If 40 times were not one part of a scouts criteria, then what's the use of running the 40?

When I see Hester, I see a guy who is an okay to below average CB, but he could be a teriffic Special teams player. He ranked 12 in the country as a PR and at some point, you have to find a really good PR.

I'm sure you weren't one of the fans whinning about our punt returns, and whinning about not putting Newman there because we don't want to get him hurt, but if you were, then this guy can certainly solidify that situation.

No-where did I say to draft him in the early rounds? That would be foolish, but if he's just running a 4.4 something 40, that's a huge difference from 4.27. At 4.27, you could put some serious pressure on punt coverages and if you get him late in the draft, the risk reward is minimum.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree, I would take Hester anywhere from 3rd round to 4th or so. If you remember Jimmy Johnson took Kevin Williams with a 2nd round draft choice from Miami and he was an established punt and kickoff returner.

I think Parcells is pretty close to a super bowl team, needing just OT, a young WR, free safety with speed, veteran kicker and an experienced linebacker to take Dats place. Maybe another dominant OLB-de hybrid or nose tackle, since Glover is gone.

Add in that, only position left is our kickoff and punt returner. A dominant player, 2 guys come to mind as rookies that the Cowboys have looked at, Hester and Manning, defensive back from small texas college. If the Cowboys get those needs, then look out.

Bobo

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Allen's case is different in that his play made him a 1st-2nd round prospect if he would have come out before he was injured. I don't know what the doctors think about the exams he was given at the combine, but at least now it looks like he's lost none of his athletic ability.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
40 times matter when it comes to positions where speed is truly needed. Because Jason Allen ran a 4.38, he's tops on my list for FS. The reason is, because he was already considered a 1st rounder before his hip was injured.

If he has not recovered and his speed had significantly been reduced, then taking him in the 2nd would be a serious reach. Doesn't mean I won't pick him up in the 3rd or 4th.

When I talk about my opinions on drafting certain players, I may still want a player, but not in an early round.

Pokes28

Reaction score
He also wasn't a CB (he was a WR).

But what he was was fast and pretty much nothing else. Yes he had a few good kick returns, but he wasn't a football player.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Reaction score
For two seasons Hester was the best Punt and Kickoff return man in Div 1 NCAA football. The guy is electric when healthy and he's definitely a guy I want on the Cowboys.

quaigs

Reaction score
Hester is a great KR, nothing more.

He lost the PR job this year because he coudn't catch the ball and the year before Roscoe Parrish was the main PR man, so I don't understand why people think he is a good PR?

Other then that he couldn't win a starters job. 2 years ago he tried WR and was moved to corner half way through the season. This year they tried him at corner then moved him to RB at the end of the year in a Reggie Bush type of position and didn't do much there.

All in all the guy has failed to win a starters job at any positon other then KR.