CBS Sport Jason Garrett future with Cowboys: Several factors fueling delayed announcement in Dallas

Rayman70

Reaction score
Garrett said his goodbyes. He will be gone. Jerry is waiting. The meetings may have little to do with football ops. The families are very closely tied..the jones' and Garretts.

Creeper

Reaction score
If Jerry is worried that Garrett will go to the Giants and succeed then isn;t this an indictment of Jerry? If the coach fails in Dallas and succeeds in NY, with lesser talent, then wouldn't that mean that the problem in Dallas was not Garrett, but something else - like Jerry?

silvernblu

Reaction score
Benefit from Jones's investment in Garrett?

What kind of idiot thinks that way? Who gives a **** what he accomplishes elsewhere; he sucks here! That should be Jerry's priority--ensuring his team is successful.

This is all about Jerry not looking bad. That's it.

not looking bad?

How can he be so non self aware.

You destroyed this franchise. your entire fan base is looking forward to the day you meet your maker. Can’t look worse than that!

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Jerry is worried that Garrett will go to the Giants and succeed then isn;t this an indictment of Jerry? If the coach fails in Dallas and succeeds in NY, with lesser talent, then wouldn't that mean that the problem in Dallas was not Garrett, but something else - like Jerry?
bingo. Jerry is protecting JERRY from exactly that^^^ SO if he kept him here in a consultant position of sorts..he cannot be hired by another team. THAT IS IN FACT HOW JERRY THINKS.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Garrett said his goodbyes. He will be gone. Jerry is waiting. The meetings may have little to do with football ops. The families are very closely tied..the jones' and Garretts.

If the families are so damn close, they can have meetings at each other’s houses, not in “The Star”. Once again, mixing business with football. The Star should be purely football related business. None of this lovey dovey bull crap they are doing. They are missing out on a critical interview window for potential HC’s. Damn, the Commanders and Browns are doing better than we are! That’s not something to be proud of! I know Jerry is basically going through a divorce but damn. Just fire him and go over his house everyday. It’s not that hard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nepotism on full display in this team. A ruinous poison that has been the undoing of every organization it has ever infected, since the dawn of time. It doesn't matter if someone is terrible at the job, because someone likes them. And they will make every excuse for that person that they possibly can, no matter how ridiculous. The king's idiot son becomes the new king. Why? Because he's the king's son, that's why, no other reason. And what does that son often do? He takes the empire into ruin, because he's incapable of handling the responsibility answers only has it based on who he knows, and who he is connected to.

This is no different. This organization is run like a monarchy. The king decides, and the subjects either accept it, or revolt.

links18

Reaction score
Did JG drum up fake interest from the Giants to pressure Jerry into thinking he has to give him some kind of job in the organization to "protect his investment" in Garrett. Is Jerry getting played, again?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Jerry, JG and the entire staff is attempting to transition into their new situation as gracefully as possible. Garrett has already uttered his goodbyes. The next thing that's sure to follow would be packing his personal belongings and vacating the building. I'm sure after such a long stay, it's a somewhat awkward procedure, although, it's only a matter of time and expected by everyone.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I think, unlike most of us, Jerry really does believe Garrett would be a top coaching candidate. He’s gonna hold on to him until the Giants make another hire or Jan 14th, whichever comes first. I guess he’s afraid of Garrett going to the Giants and actually out coaching someone he may hire here.

cowboyec

Reaction score
yesterday....I was leaning that its draggin on because he's comin back and they are shufflin staff pieces.

but reading different stuff last night....alot of folks who cover the team keep saying the same thing....despite the delay...for whatever reason....he's gone.

until Urban Meyer....Greg Roman....or other names that we've kicked around sign elsewhere...Im not worried about the delay.

and it may very well be there is some kind of agreement with the new guy already in place.

bysbox1

Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...y-to-fire-jason-garrett/ar-BBYvmHz?li=BBnb7Kz

I posted this last night and it got locked. But in hindsight, I understand why. When I posted it, my intentions were to just see what your thoughts would be if this is true. I just didn't word it that way last night thus the post being locked.

This was part of the write up:

"Garrett’s contract expires on January 14th, and given Jones’ affinity for Garrett, it’s possible that the team is hoping to sever ties with Garrett without officially firing him early, at the cost of missing out on coaching candidates that may sign with other teams during that period."

If (keyword if) this is true, we can rule out any thoughts of any decent HC coming to Dallas.

Either that or JJ has "HIS" coach and a plan in mind.

We know he's already interviewed Rivera before. He may be cold on McCarthy plus I would not be surprised if Dallas staff has already talked to him anyway and Jerry may have crossed him off the list. Besides, has Dallas ever had a WCO coach before?

Dallas knows what they have in Kris Richard. Do you really want him as HC? He didn't show much this year on Defense.

I think the coach is coming from the college ranks. I noticed there's been no talk of Meyer interviewing with any of the available jobs (or Lincoln Riley for that matter). Rhule turned down Cleveland and seems adamant about returning to Baylor. Maybe Jerry already knows that information. Also there's been little activity with assistants from other teams. If the Greg Normans and Robert Salehs don't interview with someone else by this weekend they're not going to do it while they are prepping for the playoffs..

Plus most of these guys who are looking for coaching jobs already have staff plan in mind.

My guess it the coaching search will be pretty quiet until Championship Sunday on the 19th. That's when College football is officially over and you are down to the 2 Super Bowl teams. By then Garrets contract is over. Also the assistants on eliminated teams will be more viable.

I think Jerry already has a plan. One which allows him to have the Garrett "funeral" he wants. It appears Jerry is grieving about this. As much as a lot of people don't like it, we're just going to have to be patient.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I think, unlike most of us, Jerry really does believe Garrett would be a top coaching candidate. He’s gonna hold on to him until the Giants make another hire or Jan 14th, whichever comes first. I guess he’s afraid of Garrett going to the Giants and actually out coaching someone he may hire here.

LLLOOOLLL, Should be the least of his worries. A leopard can't change his spots and after 10 plus years so can't he. He should let him go, should be 2 easy wins per year because he sure h--- is not making any in game adjustments.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Now the new coach have to deal with JJ and JG you got to love this organization structure.

The ghost of Jason Garrett over looking the new head coach. What a horrible idea. If I was the new coach...first thing I do is have a bon fire of Garrett memorabilia @ the star. That will teach him....who's in charge. :rolleyes:

MarkP88

Reaction score
The Giants would not hire Garrett, even if he were in the free and clear immediately. There’s zero talk up here (among media and fans) about signing Garrett. If it somehow did happen, it’d go over like a lead balloon, to say the least. It’d be like getting your fanbase excited for change, then going out and hiring Marvin Lewis. I can’t believe Jerry genuinely thinks it’s a possibility.